Microscope dino ID help!

Shiva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I recently found out that I've been having a dino issue, and I got myself a cheap micrscope to ID them. I'm currently trying Dino X (on the third dose today), and it doesn't seem to be helping much; at least so far. Based on what I'm seeing in the microscope though, I'm starting to doubt if it is indeed dinos? Reef experts please do let me know your thoughts!

My parameters:
SG: 33.5ppt
Ca: 460ppm
Mg: 1440ppm
KH: 8.9
NO3: 2-5ppm
PO4: 0.05ppm

Thanks!

20210630_174247.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I would bet the bulk of that material is filamentous algae (GHA).

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's dinos in there. They'll camp out in algae and/or their snot growth. What's the magnification? Kinda looks like Prorocentrum? It's got that fried egg look to me....how's it moving?

OP
OP
Shiva

Shiva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, thanks for the inputs. The magnification is at 1200x but I'm not sure how accurate that is considering its a pretty cheap microscope. I just managed to get a better sample, and it looks more like Ostreopsis to me now. What are your thoughts? So far the dino x seems to be helping, and I've managed to keep my nutrients at detectable levels. Ideally this goes away soon!

Attachments

• 5_6269520609881883298.mp4
    714.2 KB

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, thanks for the inputs. The magnification is at 1200x but I'm not sure how accurate that is considering its a pretty cheap microscope. I just managed to get a better sample, and it looks more like Ostreopsis to me now. What are your thoughts? So far the dino x seems to be helping, and I've managed to keep my nutrients at detectable levels. Ideally this goes away soon!
Def. Ostreopsis. They have a "cyst" shell around them so they can be stubborn. Best action is to run a UV (at night or 24/7) since the enter the water column at night. I did a 4x round dose of DINO X and ran a UV for 2 weeks and mine were gone. The "ELEGANCE CORAL" method involves creating a large bacteria bloom inside the tank for a week to "out compete" them, it can work too, it's just more labor intensive, but it won't damage/upset your corals like DINO X can.

OP
OP
Shiva

Shiva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice! I'll continue with the dino x for now (4 doses in already), since I've only got a couple of mushrooms and zoas. So far, only my zoas seem a little ticked off, but they're still alive. Also I'm running a corallife turbo twist 3x UV sterilizer 24/7 now. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress! Thanks again!

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't notice much decline until the 5th or 6th dose. I did 12 doses to be on the safe side. No issues to any livestock. I also under-dosed a tad.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back