Microscope ID Help

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@drawman and @sfin52 this is an out of date thread with poor methods being used and recommended.

Almost every case of dino's in this thread turned into a relapse with several cases turning into dead tanks where nothing would grow aside from dino's and cyano. The cases where dino's appeared not to come back had real complications like "mystery" livestock death....I'd bet dino's still show up later on those cases too if you took the time to track them down.

The thread "Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?" will take you in a much more productive direction.

Plenty of info there to explain the nutrient situation and plenty of folks practicing the treatment. Ask questions when you get there!!!

@sfin52 do you have a thread specifically for your tank already? Post the link over on that thread or PM it to me if you don't mind! :)

Hope this helps. A great place to develop a plan

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After taking a sample of the stuff I can't get rid of that is always growing back, I see it's a plant and looks green as can be.
0002.jpg
0006.jpg
0008.jpg
0014.jpg

However, it looks brown and slimy with less magnification and almost black in the tank. No snails or hermits eat it. The yellow tang and the Vlamingi won't touch it either. I'm just scraping the glass and trying to scrub it off the rocks, frag rack, etc as I can.
0020.jpg

I recently changed to a Life Reef skimmer (pulls amazing amounts of nasty out), went bare bottom, and rearranged the rock work to allow for more random flow.

Anyone have ideas of what this could be (cyano, hair type, something else)?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back