Microscope Pics- Confirmation of Amphidinium Dinos Please!

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody confirm these pics as amphidinium dinos? There is some turf algae in there also. I have been battling for 2 months or so. They go away from the sand at night and did not respond to the Green Killing Machine UV. Thanks!!
Screenshot_20210317-210612_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210317-210547_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210317-210438_Gallery.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably!
distinguishing definitively between amphidinium and prorocentrum requires more detail than is in these pics.
but there's enough detail to make me lean pretty hard toward amphidinium.

OP
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they were swimming around. I dont know about prorocentrum. Ive been treating as if they were amphidinium.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they were swimming around. I dont know about prorocentrum. Ive been treating as if they were amphidinium.

The treatment is pretty much the same. Prorocentrum can be toxic and looks a little different in the tank. What does it look like to the naked eye in your tank?

OP
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long brown and stringy. Some but not a ton of air bubbles. I have lost some corals but no fish. Dosing mb7, vibrant, phyto, and silicates. Not many diatoms from the silicates yet. The rocks are clearing in a couple areas though so im hopeful!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long brown and stringy. Some but not a ton of air bubbles. I have lost some corals but no fish. Dosing mb7, vibrant, phyto, and silicates. Not many diatoms from the silicates yet. The rocks are clearing in a couple areas though so im hopeful!

That sounds more like prorocentrum to me. LC amphidinium usually looks like brown powder on the sand.

OP
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more like prorocentrum to me. LC amphidinium usually looks like brown powder on the sand.
I will try to get better pics. I assumed they were amphidinium because the uv did nothing and previous attempts to blackout did little to nothing. I had not come across prorocentrum while researching so I dont know for sure. I will have to get out the $15 kiddy Amazon microscope again.

OP
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you defeat
Went heavy on biodiversity. Added pods x4 plus PNS pro bio and yellow sno from algae barn. Dosed phyto, mb7, vibrant, brightwell reef bio fuel, and brightwell sponge excell for weeks. Removed a lot of sand and replaced with ocean direct sand. Multiple blackouts 3-5 days with a temp bump up to 83 on the final blackout which seemed to eliminate the rest of the dinos. Things finally turned around after I combined the algae barn order with all I had been dosing and did the sand change. It sucked and I lost a lot of corals.

Back