Microscope says Diatom acting like Dino what to do??

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.

So I posted about my two tanks and how I used GFO to what I thought was bottom out nitrate and phosphate. Since I didn’t have any good testers that I could tell the color differences I got the nitrate and phosphate Hanna kits. This is what I have done and hoping people can let me know how I should proceed

Main Issue: Brown algae on the sand and some on the rock that disappears at night. Used a microscope and both tanks look like diatom but people keep telling me diatoms don’t disappear at night!

Filter: Just floss and carbon, changing the floss daily.

Day -3: Doses MB7 and over fed. Levels on API and salifert looked like 0/0. Cheap UV setup as good UV will take a week

Day -2: Doses pods and phyto

Day -1: Dosed Phyto, phosphate showed .3 and .06 and nitrate looked like 5-10 on API.

Today: Dosed phyto, tank 1: .02/4.5 tank 2: .10/11.3.

It’s been two weeks should I do a water change? Should I dose the tank 1 with phosphate to get it up a bit more? Should I continue phyto daily.

Thanks T

OP
OP
T

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6A2DDB38-FFCD-414E-9C80-C9F0D7F76529.jpeg

55E8640C-5AE4-4426-A346-279BE396D0A0.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.

So I posted about my two tanks and how I used GFO to what I thought was bottom out nitrate and phosphate. Since I didn’t have any good testers that I could tell the color differences I got the nitrate and phosphate Hanna kits. This is what I have done and hoping people can let me know how I should proceed

Main Issue: Brown algae on the sand and some on the rock that disappears at night. Used a microscope and both tanks look like diatom but people keep telling me diatoms don’t disappear at night!

Filter: Just floss and carbon, changing the floss daily.

Day -3: Doses MB7 and over fed. Levels on API and salifert looked like 0/0. Cheap UV setup as good UV will take a week

Day -2: Doses pods and phyto

Day -1: Dosed Phyto, phosphate showed .3 and .06 and nitrate looked like 5-10 on API.

Today: Dosed phyto, tank 1: .02/4.5 tank 2: .10/11.3.

It’s been two weeks should I do a water change? Should I dose the tank 1 with phosphate to get it up a bit more? Should I continue phyto daily.

Thanks T
Why can’t diatoms disappear at night?

Can you post a picture of microorganism is question?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back