Microscopic Thin White Worms

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can anyone tell me what these are? They barely/rarely move on the glass. They’re actually really skinny white worms. My camera had a terrible time capturing them. They’re super tiny, barely visible to the naked eye unless you’re directly looking at the glass. Tank is 5 months old on the 16th. It’s like mechanical pencil lead thin marks. They came yesterday in small area then today they exploded all over the glass.

D3596BB7-BFB3-4F56-81A5-0FCFF2CBBD0D.jpeg
85909184-6735-49B2-B5C5-F160FA3F870A.jpeg

brrdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some of these pop up in my tank as well. My son looked them up and told me they were Polychaete - Dorvilleidae. Apparently not as scary as they sound though. At least I hope. I think they are a good clean up crew as long as they are white. Could also be spirobid worms. Not totally sure though.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can anyone tell me what these are? They barely/rarely move on the glass. They’re actually really skinny white worms. My camera had a terrible time capturing them. They’re super tiny, barely visible to the naked eye unless you’re directly looking at the glass. Tank is 5 months old on the 16th. It’s like mechanical pencil lead thin marks. They came yesterday in small area then today they exploded all over the glass.

D3596BB7-BFB3-4F56-81A5-0FCFF2CBBD0D.jpeg
85909184-6735-49B2-B5C5-F160FA3F870A.jpeg
Not sure what the subjects photos are, but assuming they are the white dogs on the glass, they could be copepods, ostracods, spirobid worms, detritus, or possibly something entirely different. Are you able to get clearer pictures/circle the hitchhikers in question?
P.S. those artificial anemones require regular cleaning (in a weak bleach solution from what I have heard).
https://www.chewy.com/app/product-question/1291209#ugc-target

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new to this, but that looks like pods. I have them as well. Have you ever added pods to your tank?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a couple of older threads with similar things like this - the worms seem to be harmless and, from at least one source, tend to go away on their own. They may be some kind of flatworm, nematode, detritus worm, or even (young) polychaete (bristle) worm. Without much closer up, clear photos, I doubt we'll be able to get an ID (though worms can be very tough to ID even with really good pics, so we may not be able to ID these regardless). I'd say to just keep an extra close eye on your fish and corals and see if anything looks off over the next few days - if everything looks fine, they're mostly likely harmless/beneficial for the tank.

If you can get substantially closer pics, I'd be happy to try and help ID further, but - as I mentioned above - there's no guarantee I'd be able to help much even then.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the closest my phone will focus
The video actually does help somewhat in this case - based on the movement pattern I can see from some of the worms in the video, I'd guess (I'm not certain, but it's the category I'm leaning toward at the moment) that these are some kind of young polychaete (bristle) worm. Again, they are most likely harmless, but I'd suggest keeping an extra vigilant eye out for a few days here just to be safe.

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these too. I'm pretty sure I've seen them get lucky and catch some pods on the glass which is insane. Don't touch my pods! Anyway it stinks nobody knows what they are. Im quarantining my clownfish with prazi but I started with my display tank water and I'm pretty sure the ones that got in died.I tried to use prazi in my display but the dose irritated my coral and not worth it. I'm keeping the tank Fowler for as long as possible but the lfs is calling me. Even in my dreams

Back