Mida blenny healthy but being weird

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a fairly new tank, about a month old tank.. Started with 3 fishes a week ago as my lfs tested my water and said i was ready for fish.. added a green mandarin, royal gramma and mida blenny. 3 days later mandarin and royal were found dead near the area mida blenny hangs out in. Tested my water and everything came back good, no issues. So i can't find any reason other than mida bullying them because i did see their fins slightly nipped at.. Lfs told me midas are peaceful so idk what the reason could actually be for their deaths. Mida now swims freely all over the tank but recently I've noticed that when i turn tank lights on i find him sleeping on the sandbed and after a few seconds he continues on with his day and swims close to the surface.. Any chance this could have to do anything with not having enough oxygen? And if that might be, how can i help increase it..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a fairly new tank, about a month old tank.. Started with 3 fishes a week ago as my lfs tested my water and said i was ready for fish.. added a green mandarin, royal gramma and mida blenny. 3 days later mandarin and royal were found dead near the area mida blenny hangs out in. Tested my water and everything came back good, no issues. So i can't find any reason other than mida bullying them because i did see their fins slightly nipped at.. Lfs told me midas are peaceful so idk what the reason could actually be for their deaths. Mida now swims freely all over the tank but recently I've noticed that when i turn tank lights on i find him sleeping on the sandbed and after a few seconds he continues on with his day and swims close to the surface.. Any chance this could have to do anything with not having enough oxygen? And if that might be, how can i help increase it..
Mandarins are not real good choices for new tanks, they do better in well established tanks with lots of critters for them to browse on.
Midas blennies sometimes have issues keeping weight on. Feed it multiple times a day - as much as it will consume at each feeding.
I can’t tell you about the oxygen, just ensure the tank has good aeration.
Jay

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are not real good choices for new tanks, they do better in well established tanks with lots of critters for them to browse on.
Midas blennies sometimes have issues keeping weight on. Feed it multiple times a day - as much as it will consume at each feeding.
I can’t tell you about the oxygen, just ensure the tank has good aeration.
Jay
Yeah i learned that fairly quick as i saw he was having trouble..
I feed him once a day but I'll give it a go at trying twice. THANK YOU for the reply

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A responsible fish store would never sell a Mandarin for a brand new tank.

You should know they don't have your best interest in mind they just want your money.
True, im not experienced I've done my research to get started. But I've noticed some of the staffs are a little clueless and like you said just wanna sell.. They said mandarin was a good start just need to feed it quite a few.. Didn't really have much info on mandarin but i took their word for it and regretted 3 days later

Back