Midas blenny and starry blenny in a 5x2x2?

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I believe it is generally recommended to keep only one species of blenny per tank, but wondering if anyone has had success keeping an omnivore like the midas(which I already have and love him!) and a herbivore like the starry. I am starting to develop a GHA problem and my scarlets are not keeping up with it. I plan on having a yellow kole eye, but have to wait to add it last, which wont be for a couple of months at least. I need a herbivore to help out now, or maybe just get more scarlets?

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I haven't had that combination, I have kept multiple different species of blennies in a smaller tank with no aggression issues. FWIW my kole tang absolutely hates blennies, especially the lawnmower. If you are planning to get a kole soon, I would hold off on the blenny, especially if it's just to help with a temporary problem.

OP
OP
Bradley Keck

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know. I better not do it. You also bring up a good point that this is temporary anyways. I'm just nervous that I will end up with the whole tank covered if I don't get it to stop now. I can see all the rocks getting this thin coating of hair algae growing and Im thinking "Oh know, here we go". Tank is 12 weeks new though and have to expect it to happen at some point. Thank you for your advise. I'll just keep monitoring nitrate and phosphate, and then add some more scarlets to help keep it controlled some.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back