Midas Blenny attacking/diving head first into sand?

Oppaiology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As seen in exhibit A and B, my blenny has started to dive to the sand in one spot. I have had him for about half a week and he has shown no signs of aggression or stress since 30 minutes after I got him.

I did not quarantine him, so parasites and diseases are plausible. What is the best thing I can do? Are they just quirky and “Not like the other girls?”

Attachments

• IMG_2659.MOV
    8.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like irritation from flukes or velvet
I would keep a close eye on fish. I have a pair of reading glasses I bought to get close-ups of my fish

OP
OP
O

Oppaiology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like irritation from flukes or velvet
I would keep a close eye on fish. I have a pair of reading glasses I bought to get close-ups of my fish
I found him like this this morning. What should I do to treat it, huge white-ish rash down the side of his head, one larger on one side of the head

Attachments

• IMG_2667.MOV
    12.8 MB
  • IMG_2666.MOV
    5.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I found him like this this morning. What should I do to treat it, huge white-ish rash down the side of his head, one larger on one side of the head
Looks like post injury wiith a bacterial infection srating. I would recommend performed in a seperate tank- Maracyn 2 or Kanaplex with focus as a binder to add to food. These are both seachem product

OP
OP
O

Oppaiology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like post injury wiith a bacterial infection srating. I would recommend performed in a seperate tank- Maracyn 2 or Kanaplex with focus as a binder to add to food. These are both seachem product
I came back later in the day and he is completely back to normal… odd

Attachments

• IMG_2669.MOV
    10.7 MB

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new theory that this is normal midas blenny behavior... and on top of that they may be prone to sand sticking to their slime coats. I'm trying to find out from other people if anyone have experienced the same things. I've came across similar old threads over and over specifically with midas blennies only about them diving into rock like they are itching; or even having white spots on them that may just be sand.

Mine gets white spots on him off and on constantly I am almost positive now is just sand/dust. He also occasionally dives on the rock above his hole like he is itching but he continues to show no other symptoms of being sick with anything and acts completely normal. On top of that no other fish have shown any symptoms of any parasite spread and they were all fully quarantined.

alvssaxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new theory that this is normal midas blenny behavior... and on top of that they may be prone to sand sticking to their slime coats. I'm trying to find out from other people if anyone have experienced the same things. I've came across similar old threads over and over specifically with midas blennies only about them diving into rock like they are itching; or even having white spots on them that may just be sand.

Mine gets white spots on him off and on constantly I am almost positive now is just sand/dust. He also occasionally dives on the rock above his hole like he is itching but he continues to show no other symptoms of being sick with anything and acts completely normal. On top of that no other fish have shown any symptoms of any parasite spread and they were all fully quarantined.
Very interesting. I was just googling this behavior from Midas blennies because mine is doing the same thing. I even caught him chasing his tail for a split sec and bending his body while spinning sideways trying to get to something in his side. The nose diving behavior is wild scary as well. Thought he was going mental from doing it so much

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine does the same thing. Diving his head into the sand and chasing his own tail around. Sadly mine died recently from brook. Once I get this brook sorted out I’m definitely getting another Midas, one of my favorites.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine does the same thing. Diving his head into the sand and chasing his own tail around. Sadly mine died recently from brook. Once I get this brook sorted out I’m definitely getting another Midas, one of my favorites.
Midas are very popular, but they aren't with me - I see way too many sick ones here on the forum! Here is a write up I did about an issue that they have:

Jay

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas are very popular, but they aren't with me - I see way too many sick ones here on the forum! Here is a write up I did about an issue that they have:

Jay
Thanks Jay. That was a great read. Unfortunate to hear they have that issue.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I was just googling this behavior from Midas blennies because mine is doing the same thing. I even caught him chasing his tail for a split sec and bending his body while spinning sideways trying to get to something in his side. The nose diving behavior is wild scary as well. Thought he was going mental from doing it so much
Mines doing the same thing you described yours doing. Did yours recover do you still have it?

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines doing the same thing you described yours doing. Did yours recover do you still have it?

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine is completely fine to date. No weird symptoms appetite is strong and happy to say he has also thickened up quite a bit since I initially got him when a few of the experts on here pointed out to me that he looked thin.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a single instance of 6-7 white dots on my midas blenny fins. Looked like sand or substrate, but he sleeps in a hole so it could be from that. They are super interesting fish, their personality is something else. Wouldnt keep a reef tank without my chubby fish named chocolate

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back