Midas blenny belly

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just purchased a Midas blenny last week. He has been in a QT tank since being brought home. It’s eating great and becoming less nervous when I come in to the room. I noticed today that his belly stays a blue color and seems kind of lumpy. Not sure if this is normal or not. I’m not currently medicating the tank or feeding medicated food. Wasn’t able to get great pictures.
52ACFDAC-BE71-4B0E-BE9B-5FC113058AE4.jpeg
06CF9952-A35A-4979-B2ED-AC523799896F.jpeg
0374D3EB-5368-49EA-BC14-04873B86A9BD.jpeg
D7315589-F6AF-40C9-9022-853BB9E1C619.jpeg
9089E87E-E6EA-4326-A310-F4E85A06335E.jpeg
156EC781-FB89-4B11-9A1D-0797ABDC7EB3.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, just purchased a Midas blenny last week. He has been in a QT tank since being brought home. It’s eating great and becoming less nervous when I come in to the room. I noticed today that his belly stays a blue color and seems kind of lumpy. Not sure if this is normal or not. I’m not currently medicating the tank or feeding medicated food. Wasn’t able to get great pictures.
52ACFDAC-BE71-4B0E-BE9B-5FC113058AE4.jpeg
06CF9952-A35A-4979-B2ED-AC523799896F.jpeg
0374D3EB-5368-49EA-BC14-04873B86A9BD.jpeg
D7315589-F6AF-40C9-9022-853BB9E1C619.jpeg
9089E87E-E6EA-4326-A310-F4E85A06335E.jpeg
156EC781-FB89-4B11-9A1D-0797ABDC7EB3.jpeg
besides fish being thin, looks like an internal infection or constipation. Often a pellet diet will contribute to this
You mentioned its eating. Try boiling a couple of peas and then allow to cool and feed the inner meat which will relieve constipation. If not, Seachem metroplex should help this while using focus as a binder for the metro to the food
What foods are you feeding?

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just fozen rods original, mysis, and spirulina brine shrimp, and two feedings of hikari marine s. I will try the peas and will most likely feed some metro/focus bound food to be safe. Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just fozen rods original, mysis, and spirulina brine shrimp, and two feedings of hikari marine s. I will try the peas and will most likely feed some metro/focus bound food to be safe. Thanks!

Midas blennies are a lot tougher to keep than their common presence in the pet trade would have you think. They are really prone to starvation. I don't know if this is due to not feeding often enough, feeding the wrong food, or internal parasites that compete with the blenny for food energy....I just see a LOT of really skinny Midas blennies.

Feed it to satiation 4x per day, less brine shrimp, more mysids. If it takes food in but spits it back out, try dicing the food into smaller pieces.

Jay

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies are a lot tougher to keep than their common presence in the pet trade would have you think. They are really prone to starvation. I don't know if this is due to not feeding often enough, feeding the wrong food, or internal parasites that compete with the blenny for food energy....I just see a LOT of really skinny Midas blennies.

Feed it to satiation 4x per day, less brine shrimp, more mysids. If it takes food in but spits it back out, try dicing the food into smaller pieces.

Jay
Mine eats like a pig.. best eater I have. Not disagreeing just surprised to hear that after seeing how mine eats. Could eating a ton be a sign of internal parasites?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats like a pig.. best eater I have. Not disagreeing just surprised to hear that after seeing how mine eats. Could eating a ton be a sign of internal parasites?
Yes, fish offset parasites like cestodes by eating more. But also, I didn't mean that all midas blennies have this issue, just a lot of them.

Jay

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, fish offset parasites like cestodes by eating more. But also, I didn't mean that all midas blennies have this issue, just a lot of them.

Jay
Mine kinda has a discolored belly too. I plan to treat with copper and prazi. If there's internal parasites, should this treatment solve that problem?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
besides fish being thin, looks like an internal infection or constipation. Often a pellet diet will contribute to this
You mentioned its eating. Try boiling a couple of peas and then allow to cool and feed the inner meat which will relieve constipation. If not, Seachem metroplex should help this while using focus as a binder for the metro to the food
What foods are you feeding?
So if it is constipation, metro will help? My fish looks similar but is very quick on the draw with eating. Currently mine is going through copper. It's a day one. I plan to feed Metroplex and kanaplex. But I also plan to dose prazipro. I've never heard Metroplex being good for constipation though. Should I try Metroplex first in case of internal parasites and if I don't see an improvement try peas or should I do peas first then Metroplex? Any info would be highly appreciated.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So if it is constipation, metro will help? My fish looks similar but is very quick on the draw with eating. Currently mine is going through copper. It's a day one. I plan to feed Metroplex and kanaplex. But I also plan to dose prazipro. I've never heard Metroplex being good for constipation though. Should I try Metroplex first in case of internal parasites and if I don't see an improvement try peas or should I do peas first then Metroplex? Any info would be highly appreciated.
Do not add kanaplex to food especially if doing metro and assure Very tiny amount as recommended is 5gm weight

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was told they are safe together? What would happen if I do both?
There have been recent issues with fish fed kanaplex added to food mainly due to overdosing and both treat internal issues. Metroplex also treats internal and external issues and in essence you are administering a double dose. You can add focus as a binder to either

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been recent issues with fish fed kanaplex added to food mainly due to overdosing and both treat internal issues. Metroplex also treats internal and external issues and in essence you are administering a double dose. You can add focus as a binder to either
Ok.. so metro is fairly safe?

Here's what I'm thinking. Let me know if I should tweak this. I'm new to QTing and not too well versed in fish disease.

Day 0 freshwater dip
Day 1-3 observe and get fish eating (assuming no visible issues
Day 4-11 metroplex+focus+garlicguard
Day 4-32 copper treatment (copper power)
Day 33-42 prazi dosing
Day 43-63 move to exablished qt for observation and if clean move to DT

But because I may have a constipation issue, when should I do peas? Before metro but during copper?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok.. so metro is fairly safe?

Here's what I'm thinking. Let me know if I should tweak this. I'm new to QTing and not too well versed in fish disease.

Day 0 freshwater dip
Day 1-3 observe and get fish eating (assuming no visible issues
Day 4-11 metroplex+focus+garlicguard
Day 4-32 copper treatment (copper power)
Day 33-42 prazi dosing
Day 43-63 move to exablished qt for observation and if clean move to DT

But because I may have a constipation issue, when should I do peas? Before metro but during copper?
Day 0 freshwater dip
Day 1-3 observe and get fish eating (assuming no visible issues ( To administer Metro- fish must be eating)
Day 4-11 metroplex+focus+garlicguard (Skip garlic guard- No advantage with use)
Day 4-34 copper treatment (copper power) ( Must be a FULL 30 days at level 2.0-2.25 for this fish) Monitor w/Hanna kit
Day 34-51 prazi dosing (Dose one time for 8 full days, water change and one more dosage for 8 days) Remove Carbon
Day 51-63 move to exablished qt for observation and if clean move to DT (This optional but at this point not required)

But because I may have a constipation issue, when should I do peas? Before metro but during copper? Peas work with goldfish - Not marine. You can use Brine shrimp which acts as a laxative

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 0 freshwater dip
Day 1-3 observe and get fish eating (assuming no visible issues ( To administer Metro- fish must be eating)
Day 4-11 metroplex+focus+garlicguard (Skip garlic guard- No advantage with use)
Day 4-34 copper treatment (copper power) ( Must be a FULL 30 days at level 2.0-2.25 for this fish) Monitor w/Hanna kit
Day 34-51 prazi dosing (Dose one time for 8 full days, water change and one more dosage for 8 days) Remove Carbon
Day 51-63 move to exablished qt for observation and if clean move to DT (This optional but at this point not required)

But because I may have a constipation issue, when should I do peas? Before metro but during copper? Peas work with goldfish - Not marine. You can use Brine shrimp which acts as a laxative
Ok, but how big of a water change?
I see a ton of conflicting info on using prazi.

I also have to dose prazi to my DT as I think flukes got in there.

So I dose 9 gallons worth of prazi for my 10 gal qt (im worried about overdosing) and let it run for 8 days and that's it? I see a few people recommending I dose prazi for 72 hours, water change dose again, 72 hours water change, dose again then one final water change after 72 hours. So a total of 3 doses over the course of 9 days

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, but how big of a water change?
I see a ton of conflicting info on using prazi.

I also have to dose prazi to my DT as I think flukes got in there.

So I dose 9 gallons worth of prazi for my 10 gal qt (im worried about overdosing) and let it run for 8 days and that's it? I see a few people recommending I dose prazi for 72 hours, water change dose again, 72 hours water change, dose again then one final water change after 72 hours. So a total of 3 doses over the course of 9 days
Water change- 20-25% should be sufficient. Believe me - The 8 day interval I gave you is the dose. Its takes 3 days alone for praziquantel to take effect. Even manufacturer suggests 5-6 days.

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, my Midas blenny is doing great. I used metro and focus mixed in with rods original, pellet food, selcon and a pinch of epsom salt. I fed this for two weeks while in qt and then for a few weeks to my whole display tank after I put the blenny in.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is weird, my Midas had the exact same thing. Looked like the intestines were bulging. I kept an eye on it, after probably a month or so it just went away. Never noticed any sign of fish being unhappy, but mine loves mysis brine pellets flake nori, such a wiggly little guy. As long as it’s eating, I think that is a good sign. Must be common among the Midas

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is weird, my Midas had the exact same thing. Looked like the intestines were bulging. I kept an eye on it, after probably a month or so it just went away. Never noticed any sign of fish being unhappy, but mine loves mysis brine pellets flake nori, such a wiggly little guy. As long as it’s eating, I think that is a good sign. Must be common among the Midas
Yep same as...mine.. his name is Dash...eats like a pig, but 1st few months saw belly issues, changed colors etc...but I never worried about as he is my longest running fish in my 1st ever saltwater aquarium, and he does just fine. Dude loves to eat though!

I feed tank twice a day, but 2 feedings at a time.

1st is mixture of Rods reef, plankton, prime reef cubes and 1 cube of saltwater multipack...all mixed up.

2nd is Chromaboost Pellets. I combined small, x small and medium together in small jar, he and all fish+ inverts love it!

Last edited:

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep same as...mine.. his name is Dash...eats like a pig, but 1st few months saw belly issues, changed colors etc...but I never worried about as he is my longest running fish in my 1st ever saltwater aquarium, and he does just fine. Dude loves to eat though!

I feed tank twice a day, but 2 feedings at a time.

1st is mixture of Rods reef, plankton, prime reef cubes and 1 cube of saltwater multipack...all mixed up.

2nd is Chromaboost Pellets. I combined small, x small and medium together in small jar, he and all fish+ inverts love it!
Still dark to this day?

OP
OP
jk_s124

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still a faint blue on the belly but the intestinal bulge is gone.

Attachments

• 4317E473-C365-419E-BBBD-5B55AF972CCA.jpeg
    4317E473-C365-419E-BBBD-5B55AF972CCA.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 21
  • E698C206-9930-4019-8048-5E10CD76EBCB.jpeg
    E698C206-9930-4019-8048-5E10CD76EBCB.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 22

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back