Midas Blenny Fin Issue Help

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that sometime over the past week the dorsal fin in my Midas Blenny looks a bit “damaged”. He likes to hang out in a hole in the rock, so I am not sure if it is matted down from rubbing against there or signs of a disease like fin rot.

I am not well versed in identifying different diseases, so any assistance is appreciated. His tail and pectoral fins look normal. I also decided to increase feedings from twice a day to three times a day since I read the Midas Blenny often has a higher metabolism due to the amount of energy they utilize when swimming and he generally seems pretty active. I’m going to monitor his consumption when feeding to make sure he is eating normal. He is always very active when it’s feeding time, but I’m not completely sure if he is actively eating the frozen mysis and spirulina/neither/or one vs the other.
FAEA9DF0-7BF8-4BBD-83EC-FF68B4097BCA.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very unlikely that the blenny damaged this on its own. How long have you had it and what other fish are in with it?
Jay

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very unlikely that the blenny damaged this on its own. How long have you had it and what other fish are in with it?
Jay
Jay
I’ve had the Blenny about 3-4 months (he was the first). 2x ocellaris clowns, 1x Melanarus wrasse, 1x kole tang, 1x diamond goby. Diamond goby was added last week and the rest have been 1-2 months at least. Have not seen any aggressive from any of the other inhabitants towards each other, or the Blenny.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably won’t see aggression - it would be over in a second and while you are watching the fish, they stop and watch you! It could be a primary infection, but by far, these sorts of issues begin as an injury. That said, unless the melanurus is really large, none of those fish would be considered prime suspects. Definately feed it more, these often get skinny in captivity, don’t know why. If you think it is getting infected, your only real recourse would be to move it to a treatment tank and dose with antibiotics.
Jay

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably won’t see aggression - it would be over in a second and while you are watching the fish, they stop and watch you! It could be a primary infection, but by far, these sorts of issues begin as an injury. That said, unless the melanurus is really large, none of those fish would be considered prime suspects. Definately feed it more, these often get skinny in captivity, don’t know why. If you think it is getting infected, your only real recourse would be to move it to a treatment tank and dose with antibiotics.
Jay
Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back