Midas blenny issue

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thursday my midas blenny didn't come out to eat which never happened before so I found him in a rock. When he came out he wasn't swimming right. He was almost upside down at times. Then laid on the sand (something I never seen him do) and didn't move when a nassarius snail come up to him. He stayed hidden and didn't eat Thursday and Friday. I didn't think he was going to make it much longer. Saturday I dosed tank with prazipro just to try something since my qt is in use. Sunday evening when I got home he was actually a lot more active but would only eat one or two pellets of food. He hasn't eaten but only a couple bites everyday since Sunday.
20211026_164245.jpg
He also has had these I think see thru spots on his dorsal fin ( I guess it is) and is skinny. Anyone know what's happening?

20211026_163705.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thursday my midas blenny didn't come out to eat which never happened before so I found him in a rock. When he came out he wasn't swimming right. He was almost upside down at times. Then laid on the sand (something I never seen him do) and didn't move when a nassarius snail come up to him. He stayed hidden and didn't eat Thursday and Friday. I didn't think he was going to make it much longer. Saturday I dosed tank with prazipro just to try something since my qt is in use. Sunday evening when I got home he was actually a lot more active but would only eat one or two pellets of food. He hasn't eaten but only a couple bites everyday since Sunday.
20211026_164245.jpg
He also has had these I think see thru spots on his dorsal fin ( I guess it is) and is skinny. Anyone know what's happening?

20211026_163705.jpg
Oh, I’m sorry to see this. Second case in as many days. I see this a lot with Midas blenny especially, in my own tanks and here as well….they just get very skinny. Once they reach this point, they have utilized their liver for energy and there is no fixing that.
In some cases, they may not have been enough or often enough. In other cases, internal parasites are suspected.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I’m sorry to see this. Second case in as many days. I see this a lot with Midas blenny especially, in my own tanks and here as well….they just get very skinny. Once they reach this point, they have utilized their liver for energy and there is no fixing that.
In some cases, they may not have been enough or often enough. In other cases, internal parasites are suspected.
Jay
He seems fine now except he still won't eat more than a couple bites. But I did get him to eat two mysis shrimp but holding it with tweezers. What causes the fin to do that? Is he going to make it? He is swimming around real good now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems fine now except he still won't eat more than a couple bites. But I did get him to eat two mysis shrimp but holding it with tweezers. What causes the fin to do that? Is he going to make it? He is swimming around real good now.
Maybe the prazi cleared the parasites? I really don't think it will make it, but what you should do is feed it multiple times a day ( 4x) as much as it will take.....maybe you can build the mass back on its body.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Reefer_madness78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the prazi cleared the parasites? I really don't think it will make it, but what you should do is feed it multiple times a day ( 4x) as much as it will take.....maybe you can build the mass back on its body.

Jay
Do canary blennies have this issue? Because if he doesn't make it I might try one.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do canary blennies have this issue? Because if he doesn't make it I might try one.
Not as often, but I've seen it with them as well - they both need very frequent feedings.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back