Midas blenny stressed out?

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my midas blenny for 4 weeks and all was fine but yesterday he started swimming with his head half above the water surface, instead of his usual perch.

Im pretty sure i see a white spec or two on his fins but he doesnt act like my freshwater fish when i had ich breakout. Also his fins are not clamped up. He is still eating like a pig

My tank is kept at these parameters:

Nitrate 10ppm
P04 .03
Alk 9.3
Mag 1200+
Cal 465
Salinity 33-35 ppt
Temp 76-80F

I also must note i had my flame angel go completely MIA. Im not sure if he jumped out or died in tank and was consumed over night. The angel appeared perfectly healthy to me. I had an ammonia spike to .5ppm 4 days ago. Since then ive performed 2x 50% water changes to bring ammonia to zero. The water changes were done 2 days ago.

IMG_63091.jpg IMG_63101.jpg

Last edited:

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 (1).gif

Well I wont give you the QT lecture, but the supply chain is so polluted with disease at this point that its almost a given that your fish is harboring something even if he looks good at purchase... I had one of these Midas blenny in the past come down with ich suddenly and it was exactly like your situation :(

I would immediately QT all the fish with @Humblefish protocols...
Its also good that he still has a healthy appetite. I would supplement feeding with a supplement like Selcon:

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 (1).gif

Well I wont give you the QT lecture, but the supply chain is so polluted with disease at this point that its almost a given that your fish is harboring something even if he looks good at purchase... I had one of these Midas blenny in the past come down with ich suddenly and it was exactly like your situation :(

I would immediately QT all the fish with @Humblefish protocols...
Its also good that he still has a healthy appetite. I would supplement feeding with a supplement like Selcon:
Yeah i appreciate the advice. Looking into sourcing the selcon locally as well as humblefish

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly related, you need to aim some good flow at the surface of the tank, you might have low oxygen with that film on it.

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly related, you need to aim some good flow at the surface of the tank, you might have low oxygen with that film on it.
Thanks for the tip. I actually just recentlh pointed my return nozzle away from the surface and toward my gsp. Will adjust that too.

Getting the selcon as well as a fungal treatment made by seachem that can be absorbed into the food. I forget the name though

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I actually just recentlh pointed my return nozzle away from the surface and toward my gsp. Will adjust that too.

Getting the selcon as well as a fungal treatment made by seachem that can be absorbed into the food. I forget the name though

Possibly Focus, sorry England here just what I have read?

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly Focus, sorry England here just what I have read?
Seachem focus?
I guess the product i wanted was freshwater only, i picked up seachem paraguard which is for parasites and bacterial/ fungal.

Fish store guy recommended i setup my old 20gallon with water from the existing tank and a coup le pieces of rock from my sump and Medicate in there.

I just have to watch out for ammonia . is this a good route to go?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem focus?
I guess the product i wanted was freshwater only, i picked up seachem paraguard which is for parasites and bacterial/ fungal.

Fish store guy recommended i setup my old 20gallon with water from the existing tank and a coup le pieces of rock from my sump and Medicate in there.

I just have to watch out for ammonia . is this a good route to g

I have no idea about fish diseases or treatments, just thing I have read, @Jay Hemdal ?

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he crammed himself into a rock crevice last night and passed away. Very sad and now I'm left to believe the rest of my tank is contaminated

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And after seeing no symptoms or specs on my orchid dottyback ( 2 weeks in tank) and my six line wrasse they are both dead as well.

After seeing the white spots on the blenny my only guess is velvet. Velvet being more aggressive than ich.

This leaves my one and only clown who ill continue to feed medicated foods.

If i have to wait 3 months to let velvet die out im pretty much lost on what to do with the tank except keep my coral frags and clown alive.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back