Midas Blenny with a big white spot…

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my copper levels are barely registering on the test kit

I just want to point something out. I understand why you came away thinking the way you did. Just remember, I would imagine Humble averages helping at least 5 to 10 active threads at any given time. This is in addition to all of the help requests he gets sent through PM's. And then there are the people that contact him for help outside of this forum.

This is the advice he gave you.

It would be best to slowly ramp the copper up with the wrasse, as opposed to dropping him into a QT already at full therapeutic.

It isn't realistic to think he will remember the status of every tank for all the people he is helping. Instead of risking not remembering something correctly, he gave you advice that you could use based on the status of your tank. If your tank was that full therapeutic, you should not add the wrasse directly to the QT. Since you weren't close to therapeutic, it will be fine.

Just something to keep in mind when people offer advice like this. No one knows your system and it's current status better than you do. It is up to you to see if it applies. If you have a question about it, ask for clarification and it always helps to include the pertinent data. In this case, following up with something along the lines of "My QT is at 0.25ppm chelated copper, is it safe to add the wrasse to this tank?" would have saved you a bunch of worry!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will do. I need to add a container with live sand to the tank don't I? Doesn't copper kill live sand
It doesn't have to be live sand. Any sand will do. And yes, copper will kill much of the life in the live sand. Just not the nitrifying bacteria.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes add the container of sand for him to hide in. Ditch the sand after this is over.

I took a screenshot of this as I dont know when ill see the next "like" from melypr1985, and im going to cherish this one. Thanks :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only question I had. Is it ideal to house these 4 fish in a 10g for 8 weeks?

I don't remember all the fish he's got in there, but if they are small and the filter is big enough to handle the bioload, and he keeps up with water changes, then it should be fine. This is also assuming the fish arn't ones that will fight with each other or get aggressive.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a screenshot of this as I dont know when ill see the next "like" from melypr1985, and im going to cherish this one. Thanks :)

LOL. I tend to forget to like posts, even if they are correct and I agree with them. It's usually an afterthought because I'm trying to reply to like 15 threads at once and keep up. I hope nobody takes offense. :)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like, your job. To pick out the "wrongs" is more important in the fish health and members own developement, than to show approval for correct comments.

Its a common dynamic is many life situations, and I get it ;)

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For water changes do i just do one as I normally would but when I add the water back I match the copper levels of the tank water and the new water?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For water changes do i just do one as I normally would but when I add the water back I match the copper levels of the tank water and the new water?
Yup, exactly that.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes. Always add the copper to the new water before adding the water to the QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to point something out. I understand why you came away thinking the way you did. Just remember, I would imagine Humble averages helping at least 5 to 10 active threads at any given time. This is in addition to all of the help requests he gets sent through PM's. And then there are the people that contact him for help outside of this forum.

This is the advice he gave you.

It isn't realistic to think he will remember the status of every tank for all the people he is helping. Instead of risking not remembering something correctly, he gave you advice that you could use based on the status of your tank. If your tank was that full therapeutic, you should not add the wrasse directly to the QT. Since you weren't close to therapeutic, it will be fine.

Just something to keep in mind when people offer advice like this. No one knows your system and it's current status better than you do. It is up to you to see if it applies. If you have a question about it, ask for clarification and it always helps to include the pertinent data. In this case, following up with something along the lines of "My QT is at 0.25ppm chelated copper, is it safe to add the wrasse to this tank?" would have saved you a bunch of worry!

Thanks for this, my friend. For some reason I was thinking the OP was already at full therapeutic in QT. But if you're only 1/4 or 1/2 way there, then you can add another fish to QT without a high likelihood of "copper shock".

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after two days of trying to catch the wrasse i am still unsuccessful. It looks like I will have to buy a fish trap to catch him. I am thinking I will just set up another QT because after testing today I believe I am at therapeutic levels?
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG

I kept track of the total ml I have added to the tank, and so far I am at 44ml.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after two days of trying to catch the wrasse i am still unsuccessful. It looks like I will have to buy a fish trap to catch him. I am thinking I will just set up another QT because after testing today I believe I am at therapeutic levels?
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG

I kept track of the total ml I have added to the tank, and so far I am at 44ml.
I can't tell where you are at. Copper Aid, right? Do you think it is 1.5ppm to 2ppm?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-test-kits.257924/

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so to keep the copper levels between 1.5ppm and 2ppm over the next 30 days do I need to add more at some point? On the bottle it says that it lasts thirty days but since my first dose was four days ago will it start to wear off? I am guessing that I just need to keep testing and add more if need be.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so to keep the copper levels between 1.5ppm and 2ppm over the next 30 days do I need to add more at some point? On the bottle it says that it lasts thirty days but since my first dose was four days ago will it start to wear off? I am guessing that I just need to keep testing and add more if need be.

You'll need to do water changes and add copper to the new water before it goes into the QT. Make sure that is dosed that it keeps the copper level at 1.5-2ppm. Testing daily is never a bad idea, though you probably won't need to unless you remove water, or have rock, sand, plastic or anything else that absorbs copper in the tank. Then you would want to test daily to be sure the copper levels arn't jumping up and down.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a water change today I tested my copper levels and this is what I got.
IMG_0856.JPG
Am I correct in thinking that this looks a little low? I tested the new water before I added it and it even looked a little high. Compared to the previous test I did on the tank it dropped a lot.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back