Midas Blenny with a big white spot…

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the ich will not go away with a fish in there

According to Ruby Reef you can treat ich with their products with fish in the tank. Melypr1985 has tons of info on it, but obviously she and humble are both for the copper treatment. Because it is what is proven to work. I agree, but would be willing to try the reef rally and kick ich combo in your situation.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a matter of fact I ordered the combo kit if the situation should arise. I was putting in a medication order anyway so thought id try it. No one wants ich in their tank but with the right tools on hand im confident i can beat it and save my fish. Im all about planning ahead!

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a storage container that I could put him in for those 72 days. But I took both biological media bags from the DT and put them into the quarantine tank to prevent ammonia spikes. Aren't wrasses sensitive to copper? If so then I wouldn't be able to take one of the bags for the wrasses temporary setup.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Ruby Reef you can treat ich with their products with fish in the tank. Melypr1985 has tons of info on it, but obviously she and humble are both for the copper treatment. Because it is what is proven to work. I agree, but would be willing to try the reef rally and kick ich combo in your situation.
I believe the active ingredient in Kick Ich is Metronidazole. If I understand it correctly the fish needs to absorb enough of this deep into it's tissue to poison the parasite when it starts feeding. The problem is that ich feeds very close to the surface of the fish which will typically have lower levels of Metro. It looks to have a higher chance of helping reduce a breakout of ich in an ich managed system than of eradicating ich. I don't put a whole lot of faith in user reviews but the 43% 1-star ratings on Amazon do raise some doubt to it's effectiveness.

<-- 2 cents from a non-expert.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the active ingredient in Kick Ich is Metronidazole. If I understand it correctly the fish needs to absorb enough of this deep into it's tissue to poison the parasite when it starts feeding. The problem is that ich feeds very close to the surface of the fish which will typically have lower levels of Metro. It looks to have a higher chance of helping reduce a breakout of ich in an ich managed system than of eradicating ich. I don't put a whole lot of faith in user reviews but the 43% 1-star ratings on Amazon do raise some doubt to it's effectiveness.

<-- 2 cents from a non-expert.

Im not sure what the active ingredient is, but i agree that it looks more preventative then full outbreak treatment.
I have a storage container that I could put him in for those 72 days. But I took both biological media bags from the DT and put them into the quarantine tank to prevent ammonia spikes. Aren't wrasses sensitive to copper? If so then I wouldn't be able to take one of the bags for the wrasses temporary setup.

Yes. I recently learned wrasse are more sensitive to copper. Thanks Humble :)

Im hoping I remeber correctly. Cupramine is better to use for wrasse. Since your using chilated copper and still low level you might be ok to still add the wrasse. Thinking your lucky its a melly. I would wait for melypr1985 or humble to go on what to do about this.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wouldn't he need a container with sand to burry himself in at night that I would need to add to the container

Yes. A small plastic bowl with an 1" of sand will be good. You can hold the sand and use it the next time your treating for ich in your qt. Dont put it back in your system. You might already know this.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG

Here are the copper results for the tank today. It seems to be showing a little tan color.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns are frolicking back and forth like they don't have a care in the world. The Blenny is mainly just sitting in one of the plastic ornaments and swimming out every once in a while but all in all I would say everything is fine.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not at therapeutic levels yet, so its not going to hurt to wait for the experts advice on the next move.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days in copper, and 76 days fallow (fishless) in the DT is what is needed here. If even one fish is left untreated in the DT, all bets are off. Rally and other products might be fine for temporary relief, but you have to treat with copper (or Chloroquine phosphate) to break the parasite's life cycle.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days in copper, and 76 days fallow (fishless) in the DT is what is needed here. If even one fish is left untreated in the DT, all bets are off. Rally and other products might be fine for temporary relief, but you have to treat with copper (or Chloroquine phosphate) to break the parasite's life cycle.

I like to think outside of the box. Its makes for a tough call when it comes to a life I care for. I would always go textbook unless I felt I had no other option. All I have to go on here is a video and a single successful user vs solid textbook treatment from our experts. Kick-ich attacks the weak swimming legs of the fesh spawned ich. The ich are unable to attach themselves and therefore cannot feed, die, without reproducing, hence ending the cycle. After all the mature ich have finished their cycle on the fish. Also says there is a lengthy treatment involved with this as well which makes sense due to cycle time, but its reef safe. Thats the hook. The hook that gets me. Personally, im willing to try the Rally as mely and humble have ok'd it for treating the illness symptoms as well as some bacterial, injuries. The kick-ich is more in question as to its active ingredients, and is it 100% effective in its claim.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so should my next step be to get another hospital tank set up to treat the wrasse? And if so should I treat with what i am using or cupramine? If I dose with cupramine I need to get another test kit right?

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And since wrasse are sensitive should I try to get the tank to a different level of copper or do I just add it slower. Sorry for all the questions but I am a noob when it comes to treating sick fish.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so should my next step be to get another hospital tank set up to treat the wrasse? And if so should I treat with what i am using or cupramine? If I dose with cupramine I need to get another test kit right?

Therapeutic levels are lower and require the Salifert test. I forgot you are in a 10 gallon. If you can do a separate QT for the wrasse and use Cuprimine it would be more ideal. You coud be ok with the copper aid if you use the minimum therapeutic level in a seaparate tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And since wrasse are sensitive should I try to get the tank to a different level of copper or do I just add it slower. Sorry for all the questions but I am a noob when it comes to treating sick fish.
You should never apologize for asking questions. You should only apologize if you are given good advice and fail to follow it! ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back