Might be time to throw in the towel

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my first reef tank in 12 years this past May. I'm finally starting to get the tank headed in the right direction, but this week I was offered a job opportunity that will take me overseas for extended periods. It's starting to look like my Waterbox Frag 80.4 will be torn down just a few months after setting it up.

I'm undecided on selling the complete setup vs storing it, but one thing for certain is that all the livestock will need to be re-homed. So my question...are LFSs generally cool with bringing them a whole bunch of livestock back? I'm sure it's different with each LFS, but I really don't want to deal with trying to piecemeal it out here and deal with shipping everything.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you may have to tear it down, but life does come first. If you are looking to sell your frags then I would see about local reefers first. Most LFS will only give you a third if not less of what’s its worth.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree

In a major city like Seattle, I wouldn't think you'd have a hard time re-homing your creatures if u find a local FB users group. Likely could receive an "adoption fee" as well.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS are a biz. Like the previous person said giving you 30% of what you paid is about right.
So shooting for 50% plus with local reefers is wise to attempt first.

I would store the gear if storage costs nothing. Definitely. It does not take up much space at all. Most everything fits inside the tank and sump which I then wrap with saran wrap to keep dust out. I toss the sand. Live rock goes into buckets with old saltwater. It can sit for years no problem. Muriatic acid to restart it down the road.

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not terribly concerned with the return on the livestock investment, the larger issue will be leaving town on relatively short notice. I may not have the time to piece them out with local reefers, so that's why I was asking if LFSs tend to shy away from people bringing stuff back in bulk.

I'll talk to my local shops when I get a chance and see what they say.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not terribly concerned with the return on the livestock investment, the larger issue will be leaving town on relatively short notice. I may not have the time to piece them out with local reefers, so that's why I was asking if LFSs tend to shy away from people bringing stuff back in bulk.

I'll talk to my local shops when I get a chance and see what they say.

I would host an open house where ppl can come get your live stock. 1st come 1st serve no holds type of thing I bet you can get most of it new homes.
if anything is left take it to the LFS
and or post PKG deal full set up like said in a big city there must be a few ppl looking for a tank.
good luck!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back