Might have accidently killed one of my hermits

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking at my tank after getting home from work to see how everything was doing, and a saw one of my nassarius way up up the top of the tank near the lid. Confused, I went to take him off to put him back down by the sand. There was a little resistance when I was trying to take him off, but it seemed no more than usual when picking up a snail.

Turns out, it was not a nassarius, but a hermit that got ahold of a nassarius shell, and I accidently ripped off one of his arms trying to get him down. Whoops. I think it got stuck between the rim and the overflow. I put him on top of a rock, and he is still alive, but I'm not sure if he will make it or not. My fish started freaking out and the cuc all started coming out looking for food, I'm guessing they smelled the blood. I feel pretty bad, I liked that hermit he was a little trouble maker, but funny to watch.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Is he likely to die from losing his leg? It wasn't the main claw, just a side leg.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking at my tank after getting home from work to see how everything was doing, and a saw one of my nassarius way up up the top of the tank near the lid. Confused, I went to take him off to put him back down by the sand. There was a little resistance when I was trying to take him off, but it seemed no more than usual when picking up a snail.

Turns out, it was not a nassarius, but a hermit that got ahold of a nassarius shell, and I accidently ripped off one of his arms trying to get him down. Whoops. I think it got stuck between the rim and the overflow. I put him on top of a rock, and he is still alive, but I'm not sure if he will make it or not. My fish started freaking out and the cuc all started coming out looking for food, I'm guessing they smelled the blood. I feel pretty bad, I liked that hermit he was a little trouble maker, but funny to watch.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Is he likely to die from losing his leg? It wasn't the main claw, just a side leg.
I would imagine he would be ok. I mean they can regrow claws. Might take a bit.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your hermit crawl up the glass?
Mine do it all the time. They wedge themselves in the corner and and Spider-Man themselves up.
To the Op, it will be fine. Crustaceans are very good at regrowing limbs. They have multiple because they are expendable and grow back. It will be back to normal in a few molts.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back