Might have to change my tank, so...

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's become way too common, in my opinion. The staunch RS defenders like to point out after these RS failures that the tank was probably purchased used and therefore the failure isn't on RS, but I don't necessarily agree with that and that was not the case here.
Just imagine if it was a secondhand tank it wouldn’t have lasted more than six months is all I’m saying

xsnys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tank leaking. Hopefully the next one isn't an issue. I'm not a red sea fanatic by any means but I think that for every red sea tank that leaks, there are 1,000 that don't. People gotta understand that having 100 gallons of water casually sitting in your living room comes with a huge risk no matter how much money you spent on a tank, what brand it is or how old it is. The only thing keeping that water in is a thin line of silicone put on by a mere human (and humans make mistakes). Any tank can and will eventually leak.

OP
OP
T

TremblantAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tank leaking. Hopefully the next one isn't an issue. I'm not a red sea fanatic by any means but I think that for every red sea tank that leaks, there are 1,000 that don't. People gotta understand that having 100 gallons of water casually sitting in your living room comes with a huge risk no matter how much money you spent on a tank, what brand it is or how old it is. The only thing keeping that water in is a thin line of silicone put on by a mere human (and humans make mistakes). Any tank can and will eventually leak.
I agree with you, warranty replacements are expensive and so must be rare otherwise they will do out of business.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely another Red Sea won’t be used, right? = ford pinto x2?

make them do a full refund $

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you have had a failed seam you know why! Imagine all the trouble of changing a tank after barely two years of ownership.
Yeah, I 100% get that, there’s just always that one salty person on every thread which is mildly entertaining to me. Although probably not in good taste cause on this topic it really does suck, my bad

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the only thing keeping the water in a redsea tank is a thin line of silicone in the rest of every other tank it’s a thick line of silicone lol

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or there's always acrylic. That should, on paper at least, be fused into one single chunk of material instead of being glued together.

xsnys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the only thing keeping the water in a redsea tank is a thin line of silicone in the rest of every other tank it’s a thick line of silicone lol
Not sure if you're joking or not lol.. It's not the thickness of the silicone that keeps the aquarium together. It's the bond between the silicone and the glass. If the silicone isn't strong/applied correctly then it still won't bond to the glass not matter if it's 1mm or 1 meter wide. Obviously there's still a minimum thickness that should be used depending on the weight/thickness of the glass.

xsnys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or there's always acrylic. That should, on paper at least, be fused into one single chunk of material instead of being glued together.
Acrylic is ideal for any large aquarium honestly. Not sure how people sleep at night with hundreds of gallons waiting to burst out of a glass tank in their home :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
T

TremblantAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea accepted to send a replacement for the tank only, so the adventure of tank replacement begins... Any and all tips/recommendations welcomed.

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea accepted to send a replacement for the tank only, so the adventure of tank replacement begins... Any and all tips/recommendations welcomed.
What are you saying here ? The adventure of tank replacement to another brand or replacement of the leaking one to another one that is gunna fail?!?!? Lol

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you saying here ? The adventure of tank replacement to another brand or replacement of the leaking one to another one that is gunna fail?!?!? Lol
The tips and recommendations have already been given go with a different manufacturer

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least if you are gunna stay with the Red Sea build a stand that is actually sturdy that will support the tank solid on all 4 sides

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go figure another red sea tank with a seal issue. Has anyone ever heard of any other type of tank having a seal issue because I haven’t in a long time

It would be interesting to take a poll and see how many people 1) own a certain tank and 2) if they have had leaks.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back