Mighty Jet 326 pump in nuvo 20 peninsula

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nuvo 20 peninsula. I'm running a mightyjet 326 on it. Even at the lowest setting it sometimes drains the chamber completely. Is it just too much flow? They come with this pump now, though I got it separately.

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting in more water in the tank? Maybe there's not enough water in the tank so it empties similar to if there's not enough water in a system with a sump and the return section runs dry...

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How full should it be? Under the top of the inlet slits right?
I made a more in depth post about this as I'm about to come to a conclusion.

M

Max_nano

View Badges
You should base your fill level based on when the pump is on. Fill it until it isn’t falling down from the other chamber

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just commented on your other thread. Fill it with water until the chamber that feeds your return chamber only has the water dropping about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Dont base water level on the tank, base it on the return chamber.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are limited to how much flow goes over your overflow, if you slow it down too much by having too much filter wool blocking it or dirty floss etc then that will slow the water down and the pump will run out of water to pump.

Or you just have not put enough water in the tank.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have about 3 in difference there. But when I've tried to fill it higher the water passes those slits.

Attachments

• 20201222_233925.jpg
    20201222_233925.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20201222_234015.jpg
    20201222_234015.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 111

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have about 3 in difference there. But when I've tried to fill it higher the water passes those slits.

you need to fill the tank when the pump is running, stop filling when the water lvl is just below the 3rd chamber, if the pump still runs dry on the lowest setting you have your 1st chamber too full of stuff and it’s not letting the water flow easily enough.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmmm... I have the bigger MightyJet going full speed in my 25 with no issues. Either something is blocking the flow, or it needs more water.
Do you have an ATO?

Last edited:

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 538 in a Nuvo 20 without issue. What’s in that InTank basket? Cheato? If so you’re likely blocking all the water from entering.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above what exactly do you have in the first and second chamber? I run that pump on both my Nuvo 20 and Nuvo 14 at full power. If you are adding water while the pump is running at it quickly fills the the main tank (rising above the weir) then you have obstruction to flow. Looks like there is some kind of plate on top of the middle chamber. Change your floss and remove that middle chamber caddy. Fill the tank to get the third chamber 1/2 to 1 inch below the spillway of the second. Then add your middle caddy empty and start filling it with your "stuff" until just before you get a drop in flow or water level in the third chamber. If you continue to run it in its current state and have an ATO you are looking at a flood in your future as the main part of the tank over fills.

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level in DT looks low from the pic with the overflow, i vote for more water!

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above what exactly do you have in the first and second chamber? I run that pump on both my Nuvo 20 and Nuvo 14 at full power. If you are adding water while the pump is running at it quickly fills the the main tank (rising above the weir) then you have obstruction to flow. Looks like there is some kind of plate on top of the middle chamber. Change your floss and remove that middle chamber caddy. Fill the tank to get the third chamber 1/2 to 1 inch below the spillway of the second. Then add your middle caddy empty and start filling it with your "stuff" until just before you get a drop in flow or water level in the third chamber. If you continue to run it in its current state and have an ATO you are looking at a flood in your future as the main part of the tank over fills.

I'm running a purigen in the top, chemi pure blue nano in middle and some no3 and po4 xport rocks in bottom. Middle is chaeto. Both in the Intank media baskets.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that would be an obstruction of flow. And a ton of nutrient export for a small volume of water. Do you have dinos, cyano, or the cheato have a mass die off yet?

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that would be an obstruction of flow. And a ton of nutrient export for a small volume of water. Do you have dinos, cyano, or the cheato have a mass die off yet?
Only a bit of hair algae. Chaeto is growing well at the moment. I won't say I feed heavy but I feed well.
I was wondering the same. What do you guys think? The purigen is the pre bagged, admittedly way over rated for the tank. Chemi pure blue nano is a bit over rated (i have all 5 bags), the xport rocks seem to be the least restrictive to flow.
Which one should I decrease or eliminate?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For such a small tank you could do weekly 5 gallon water changes. That's what I do. Dump the middle caddy. Run floss and your rocks in the first, maybe GAC when needed. Put your heater and probes in the second chamber.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Not bad advice but I just finished a bit of maintenance before seeing this
For such a small tank you could do weekly 5 gallon water changes. That's what I do. Dump the middle caddy. Run floss and your rocks in the first, maybe GAC when needed. Put your heater and probes in the second chamber.

and I ended spreading the media I had out (moved some of the xport rocks around and pulled 1 of the chemi blue packs and put it in top) now I'm at full strength with no issues.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back