OP
OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, while doing research, I saw a few 48” tanks with 2 Radions and always came away wishing the coverage was just a tad better. I was on fence between LEDs and the Giesemann Spectra MH fixture. I figured I’d try 3 Radions, diffused to reduce the disco effect and tune them around 30-40%, came away pretty impressed with the coverage.

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump takes up most of the space under the tank. I got a tall white thin cabinet and put it directly next to it. It holds all my apex stuff which I have a ton of apex stuff. I put my ato container in the bottom half and did a couple 45 degree shelves to hold all the apex stuff. It actually turned out Way better then I thought

OP
OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump takes up most of the space under the tank. I got a tall white thin cabinet and put it directly next to it. It holds all my apex stuff which I have a ton of apex stuff. I put my ato container in the bottom half and did a couple 45 degree shelves to hold all the apex stuff. It actually turned out Way better then I thought

That’s an awesome idea! I’ll measure to see what kind of room I have and see what I can find online for a shelf. Do you have a pic of your setup that I can visualize?

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the RSR 425xl club! Great Tank looking forward to your build. I only have two XR30pro on mine....three!! wow that's some serious par!!

I have a RSR 425 as well, about 3 months old, but currently running only 2 XR 15 Pros. I considered doing 2 XR30s or running 3 Xr 15s at higher intensity to more evenly space light, and chose the latter. I'm hoping, down the road, I didn't make a mistake!

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, while doing research, I saw a few 48” tanks with 2 Radions and always came away wishing the coverage was just a tad better. I was on fence between LEDs and the Giesemann Spectra MH fixture. I figured I’d try 3 Radions, diffused to reduce the disco effect and tune them around 30-40%, came away pretty impressed with the coverage.

I'll be curious to see your PAR readings once you get everything going well. I love my RSR 425xl! I have the same problem with the return, always blowing the sand, and its on my to do list.

If you have an Apex, I would seriously consider figuring a way to add the ATK and a DOS for automatic water changes if you haven't already. I set mine up for 1.5 gal a nite or 10.5 gal/wk from the beginning to keep things really stable. Its been a game changer from my old bucket carrying and spilling ways. Plus my wife is happier.

What do you have/ are you thinking for fish in the future?

OP
OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR 425 as well, about 3 months old, but currently running only 2 XR 15 Pros. I considered doing 2 XR30s or running 3 Xr 15s at higher intensity to more evenly space light, and chose the latter. I'm hoping, down the road, I didn't make a mistake!
One thing that would interest me is seeing the numbers on running 2 xr30 pros with one 15 in the middle. Might be a good comprise!

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have for PAR. Note that these are diffused and I’ve highlighted the sweet spots where my SPS will live. The lights are roughly 8 1/2” from water line and the top of the rock work is just about 14 3/8” down from that.

As far as fish, I’m going Tang heavy with this set up, and planning to add this Saturday if tank continues it’s progress. I’ll add some carnivores later, but likely after some of my softies get transferred in over the next few weeks.

Tanks has been cooking for eight days, and I’ve got 0 algae blooming (anything) so far....and I’m blasting it with a full 12 hour light period. Ramping up and down 1 hour on each end.

Skimmer is nice and active. No ammonia, under 10 No3, and .03 Po4.
nice work! those are huge numbers!

OP
OP
MikeYasin

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Idea.... I may go with a XR 30 in the middle actually... jury is still out...
I dunno... three lights on the 425xl sure seems very natural. You could do what Cdavmd did and put two in a T5 fixture. That is pretty cool and something I didn’t think of until I settled my brain and my will on three XR30s.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back