Mike Paletta finally recognizes some of the superior qualities of METAL HALIDES over LEDs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You understand that this is why you alienated a lot of people. You keep trying to claim you are on some neutral ground but in the next breath claim something is inferior.

You are flat out wrong though. It’s well documented that MH=T5=LED to provide the spectrum and par that coral need to grow. However, out of the 3, MH has some of the worst trade offs. I can’t imagine any Reefer actually suggesting that the right light for someone entering the hobby is a MH.

You are purposefully making a statement that MH is superior, purposefully ignoring studies to the opposite and purposefully ignoring the major drawbacks that come with MH. Then you turn around and accuse everyone else of what you are doing.
MH is superior in Spectrum.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REally all he said was that his current lights didn't have UV an "possibly" since metal halides do it could offer some err "antiseptic" properties.
Thing is t5's also have little to no uv of any value.
Plenty of t5 only tanks out there that are just fine.
So even if it does contribute this is not a LED issue per se..

Selective hearing is a terrible thing.

UV has some proof of anti-pest properties in horticulture so there is that.
It has zero proof of aiding growth over any other wavelengths but may improve flavor and quantities of ancillary compounds of some value to "quality"
IF one wanted to eat corals or make err "medicines" out of them maybe it would be helpful.

Either way it is all speculative and his future "proof" would be very circumstantial to say the least.
Adding true UV diodes of quality to a fixture is no big deal, though would impact costs a bit.

This "things are harder" than in the "good old days" could have numerous causes and I doubt if MH tanks are 'immune' from it.
He will try mostly because Tullio showed him the results from a spectrometer and in comparison to LEDs he thinks there will be benefits. And he THINKS it could also contribute to some STN and RTN issues. It's all in the video. LOL!

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prove it.
Tullio have said that numerous times. Spectrometer is what he uses to measure and he said that was the reason why the public aquariums changed back to halides.
edit: watch all the videos and you will understand what he says. I posted all videos already. It's wonderful.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will try mostly because Tullio showed him the results from a spectrometer and in comparison to LEDs he thinks there will be benefits. And he THINKS it could also contribute to some STN and RTN issues. It's all in the video. LOL!
Video is a hypothesis at best. It isn't proof of anything.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is a hypothesis at best. It isn't proof of anything.
Exactly! He will test. Still won't be a definitive proof, if not a scientific experiment. We all know that! LOL! People get very defensive and blind to defend their own thoughts without even reading or watching the video... It's unbelievable!!!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tullio have said that numerous times. Spectrometer is what he uses to measure and he said that was the reason why the public aquariums changed back to halides.
edit: watch all the videos and you will understand what he says. I posted all videos already. It's wonderful.
NDA's or not this proof of aquariums switching is all hearsay.. I.E no proof whatsoever. Which ones? Why in their words.

Currently all air cake and wind pudding.
Eveything I try to "prove" has data in writing, not just 3rd party words.

You are a persistent public relations guy for MH's but lack real concrete proof.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NDA's or not this proof of aquariums switching is all hearsay.. I.E no proof whatsoever. Which ones? Why in their words.

I can't find current info but it appears that the Monterey Bay Aquarium was testing and maybe switching to something called LiFi Plasma Arc about 10 years ago. I would be interesting to see what they are using now, the behind the scenes tour is on my too do list.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eveything I try to "prove" has data in writing, not just 3rd party words.

You are a persistent public relations guy for MH's but lack real concrete proof.
Go to the video, Oreo. I'm just saying what they said. He is the professional and the one who knows and has the spectrometer.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find current info but it appears that the Monterey Bay Aquarium was testing and maybe switching to something called LiFi Plasma Arc about 10 years ago. I would be interesting to see what they are using now, the behind the scenes tour is on my too do list.
Sulfer plasma is "canned sunlight".
Other plasmas are just t5's fired up w/ microwaves eliminating cathodes and anodes.

Neither has much UV afaict though even a little with TONS of wattage can have an impact I guess. Need power factors.

Sulfur_lamp_spectrum.GIF

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not publish their information. I tried to find.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfer plasma is "canned sunlight".
Other plasmas are just t5's fired up w/ microwaves eliminating cathodes and anodes.

Neither has much UV afaict though even a little with TONS of wattage can have an impact I guess. Need power factors.

Sulfur_lamp_spectrum.GIF
Thanks for the explanation. It is weird to read the old Reefbuilders articles about these, seems like they kinda thought that it was the next big thing. Sadly none of the videos work as they are embedded with Adobe Flash.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the ones they were at least testing out.

Power profile is interesting.

you tube vid

Problem seems to be it's "white" light and still mercury based. Like or hate it Mercury pollution is considered an issue.
With LED's approaching 200 lumens/watt beating ALL common and uncommon light sources for efficiency many "advanced" light sources will still be handicapped.

Last edited:

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spectrometers have shown time and time again you can get the correct spectrum for coral growth and health from all three types of light. Therefore the one with the least amount of trade offs is the best choice.

Yet again, show a single aquarium that actually “changed back” to MH. I’ll wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a flat out liar. Spectrometers have shown time and time again you can get the correct spectrum for coral growth and health from all three types of light. Therefore the one with the least amount of trade offs is the best choice.

Yet again, show a single aquarium that actually “changed back” to MH. I’ll wait.
Do you even know how to read? I think it's not a matter of if you have been reading and watching the videos posted, but if you actually know how to read and interpret what have been posted.
I'm not going to answer about you calling me a liar because I choose not to get that low. I don't think the mods would like that. I forgive you. Go read, try to understand and apologize, if you want.
Have a good night.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike Paletta finally recognizes some of the superior qualities of using METAL HALIDES over LEDs after talking to Tullio Dellaquila and analyzing some substantial comparison of spectrum composition from a spectrometer.
Public aquariums have already changed back. Time for the hobbyists to understand the truth!
He will be getting those halides back over his tank soon!
Will Dr. Sanjay Joshi also follow that line of thought? Hope so!!!!
Results don't lie!
Some of possible benefits of using metal halides previously discussed here and in other channels, which had been said to be the closest artificial light to sunlight by many of us, are:
- Benefits from substantial amounts of UV properly distributed and in the right intensity from halides for a more balanced microbial population, possibly also boosting immunization and eliminating some of the pathogens over the substrate.
- Best utilization of a full spectrum (from UV to IR, in the majority of aquarium bulbs we can choose!) for photosynthesis and other ramifications of coral metabolism.
- Boosting photosynthesis by it's safe strong intensity, including the use of IR (infra red), already proved by Emerson effect.
- Total quality of light including spectrum, distribution and delivery of photons using the right gear for each application!
More and more people are going back to halides each day. Mike paletta also confirmed that in a way.
Enjoy the video!

And his source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back