Mike Paletta finally recognizes some of the superior qualities of METAL HALIDES over LEDs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude for the sake of your corals stop it , let us choose the windex look . I don't want a whole enormous panel frying my tank and the pain of replacing bulbs .

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the importance of the subject is what should be discussed.
there is nothing to be discussed all three lightning options can provide similar results with no or very little difference . it now just narrows down to the individuals preference and capabilities . only thing to be discussed is why in the world do you keep spamming the same thing and want all of us to believe that this is the way . IMO your approach made people that wanted to try MH now certain that they never want to .

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean you're going to see a rebirth of halides...so dream on right along with mike paletta...lol

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll bite.

Usually, I do not respond to things that I have no clue about, but this one actually has my curiosity piqued. Keep in mind that I really do not know anyone on here, and I am still figuring out who is who, and what is what in the reefing world.
Being rather new(ish) I have read as much of the new posts that I can, and I have read all of the responses on here (all 9 pages). From what I gathered (from both sides) is that everyone can agree that T5's do an amazing job.
The LED crowd has no problem with T5's or MH, and knows they all have their strong points and weak points, but to each their own.
Aaaaand the OP is a die hard MH fan, has a sincere distaste for "the people who sell LED's under the presumption that LED is better than MH" and not the LED owners themselves, all the while trash talking LED's...and using someone else's platform to push some kind of (inter)personal feud.

I will ask this, though. From my limited time in this reef keeping hobby, the one thing I have learned is that EVERY SINGLE system is different, and no 2 tanks (even in the same location) are the same. With that being said, regardless of who the king/queen is, how do we KNOW what is BEST for coral health ? Have the coral told us ? Is there some way this is measured in a standardized method ?

To the OP, I understand the basis for what you are trying to promote. Get things back to the way they used to be, when reef keeping was about the reef, and not the hyped up, money driven, newest "keep up with the Jones' " coral. But man, you are going about this all wrong. From reading your initial post and your responses, it almost seems as if you are in need of some kind of self validation, or for others ( maybe a few certain others) to say ... "yeah, this guys is right." Just from my limited exposure to this thread, (and as you have expressed) I would be afraid to try MH and be public about it, just in fear of being associated with that crazy MH guy. Not that I care what anyone else thinks, but seriously, you are pushing more people away than you are bringing in. I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, and I know I am not the first, but what you are asking for is to turn back time.

I can wish all I want that things would go back to it was when I was a kid, and ALL stores were closed on Sundays and holidays, but it's not going to happen. I can also think that my first car, a 1984 Chevy Chevette, was the best car in the world, had better gas mileage than most of todays vehicles, and even get a few other people to agree with me, but that doesn't mean that I will be able to convince the world to stop building and buying Tesla's ! See what I'm trying to say here ?

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go guys...
There is absolutely no comparison in results between LEDs and halides in many ways IMO. No matter what you guys say. If you have experience with halides you know there is something there that T5s and LEDs don't have. Are they better? For the RESULTS I want, yes!!!! There is no way to deny that. The corals are healthier, the colonies grow uniform and the true pigmentation is formed like in the ocean. The light is well distributed throughout the whose system when using the right reflector. The wide range of pigmentation produced by the corals under halides can't be beaten by any other light. They do resist to diseases like STN and RTN more than when they just survive under LEDs. Life is easier! Many have told me that, by observation, practically. That is why I think their immunization is also boosted. I don't need any scientific paper to tell me what we already know that happens. It's fact. Some friends also say halides will also be great against brown jelly disease. All anecdotal.
We can't prove most of the benefits we SEE under halides and DON'T SEE under LEDs scientifically. Do you need any scientific proof for what you see? How silly is that!!! Now... how many friends I have that use LEDs for WHATEVER REASON THEY FIND and see some halide tank and say " What?... that light kick buts" !?!? It does! LOL! The fact of the matter is that the RESULTS are much better in MY standards and the majority that actually had experiences with both will have to agree, and miss their halides. Is that a crime? You want to call that "personal preference"? So be! You like your colonies to be under blue LEDs? You like the colony structure to grow all weird? Fine. I don't. Still to this date I've never seen RESULTS from LEDs just like metal halides. It could be ok, but not the same in my opinion. So, after all that I would think we should at least consider and respect those who want to have it. Is it ok to PROMOTE HALIDES? Yes. Should we have them available for those who want to buy? Yes.
So, I THINK that after Mike revisited some of his pictures from when he had halides he is starting to realize that he just can't have the exact same RESULTS using LEDs for all the past years. Would that be something to think about? I think so.
What I THINK, and by my observations, is that the IR radiation from halides provide very similar radiation the sun emits. The spectrum from halides is from UV to IR, therefore a complete spectrum that can be used in high intensity, safely, providing everything (or almost everything in lighting) that the sun provides in the ocean and the LEDs CAN'T simply because they are not like halides in any way! The growth from halides is superb. There is no doubt that halides grow corals faster than LEDs. Period! The shimmering (caustic lines) is so similar to the sun that if you watch videos you just can't tell apart. Kids know that! LOL! Ask your grandma!!! She will tell you the truth! Ha! We actually had a reefer here that switched from LEDs to halides and his grandma said something like that.. LOL, anyways..
Now, when Mike was saying his LEDs were the best thing in the world, all LED users loved him so much! "Oh, see, he is one of the best authors out there, blah, blah, blah..." I said it would be just a matter of time until he would see the results and would go back to halides. I also said, and still say, same thing about Dr. Sanjay, the "guru of reef lighting"! I still believe he will get his halides back over his tank. Point is that most LED user defends their purchases like crazy (confirmation bias), or they don't care about results, or they actually don't know any better. You guys want LED to be the future, I get it. I once though it would be so great to have those "benefits" so many talked about. Too bad it doesn't work in practice. Unless you like those results. I don't.
If one of the most experienced guys in the world, that grows corals like mad, who really know reef lighting, who actually wrote so many important SCIENTIFIC ARTICLES and performed SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS throughout his life about lighting, says halides will be still the best for his tank, even though he is still using one of the best selling LEDs ever... WOULD YOU BELIEVE? Do you think you know better? LOL!!!!!! Sorry, Dr. Sanjay knows better. You need any scientific paper to go against his thoughts? Are you joking? LOL!

BUT... see... I still respect you LED uses. I do! I have so many friends using LEDs... I know it's your tank and you do whatever you want. Just try to be more rational. Can you actually prove LEDs are BETTER than halide in terms of QUALITY of light using ANY scientific paper?? NO! If scientists can't prove halides are better, no one can, right? Besides, scientific experiments are performed in a total different manner from what we keep out tanks. The results from our systems are what we should look for. I think.

I'm glad Mike will try halides again. He is looking forward to make his tank better and will use his LEDs as a secondary source of light, what I've been suggested for so many years. Is that a problem? Yes, I'm happy to hear that. What if he doesn't like halides after he tries again? LOL! Will that mater to you then? LOL! Will your bias be conformed then?
I know what I want. Do you? That is what matters, my friends. Everyone is different and everyone will choose what fits best.

Go to a store that knows what they are doing and find a halide tank and cry in front of it!!!! You will have your heart stopped by the amazing MAGIC of those bulbs!!! Ha! Chiller will help in most cases! If you need a chiller you need a chiller.

Mike has been saying for years and years that his best tank ever was that 500gallon. He thought size would be the main reason why. I said the halides was the main reason. I think now he kinda understands some of my points.

Here are some shots of his tanks...
LEDS:
1638032430645.png

1638032500227.png

1638032729516.png

1638032853586.png

1638032889788.png

METAL HALIDES:

1638032618551.png

1638032638850.png

1638032665662.png

1638033059289.png

1638033080228.png

1638033103493.png

BOOM!!!

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, halide guy here so.
Leds dominate the market because this is the focus of technology and they will dominate in the future. Some already dominate now and grow corals without question.
This is reality.
I will probably have at least one tank with halides because I like the look and have quite a few that nobody wants, lol.

Lastly, Orphek leds are impressive and I like the performance they provide. I could easily take my 2 250 watt halides off my 120 and replace with all Orpheks and see no difference in growth or healh of my system, imo.
I have no affiliation with Orphek but run their blue plus and blue sky bars on my 120 to complement my halides.
My frag system has only a 250 watt halide. The colors in my 120 with the Orpheks on are much deeper and the growth is also better. It is pushing a long time halide guy to an all led system.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go guys...
There is absolutely no comparison in results between LEDs and halides in many ways IMO. No matter what you guys say. If you have experience with halides you know there is something there that T5s and LEDs don't have. Are they better? For the RESULTS I want, yes!!!! There is no way to deny that. The corals are healthier, the colonies grow uniform and the true pigmentation is formed like in the ocean. The light is well distributed throughout the whose system when using the right reflector. The wide range of pigmentation produced by the corals under halides can't be beaten by any other light. They do resist to diseases like STN and RTN more than when they just survive under LEDs. Life is easier! Many have told me that, by observation, practically. That is why I think their immunization is also boosted. I don't need any scientific paper to tell me what we already know that happens. It's fact. Some friends also say halides will also be great against brown jelly disease. All anecdotal.
We can't prove most of the benefits we SEE under halides and DON'T SEE under LEDs scientifically. Do you need any scientific proof for what you see? How silly is that!!! Now... how many friends I have that use LEDs for WHATEVER REASON THEY FIND and see some halide tank and say " What?... that light kick buts" !?!? It does! LOL! The fact of the matter is that the RESULTS are much better in MY standards and the majority that actually had experiences with both will have to agree, and miss their halides. Is that a crime? You want to call that "personal preference"? So be! You like your colonies to be under blue LEDs? You like the colony structure to grow all weird? Fine. I don't. Still to this date I've never seen RESULTS from LEDs just like metal halides. It could be ok, but not the same in my opinion. So, after all that I would think we should at least consider and respect those who want to have it. Is it ok to PROMOTE HALIDES? Yes. Should we have them available for those who want to buy? Yes.
So, I THINK that after Mike revisited some of his pictures from when he had halides he is starting to realize that he just can't have the exact same RESULTS using LEDs for all the past years. Would that be something to think about? I think so.
What I THINK, and by my observations, is that the IR radiation from halides provide very similar radiation the sun emits. The spectrum from halides is from UV to IR, therefore a complete spectrum that can be used in high intensity, safely, providing everything (or almost everything in lighting) that the sun provides in the ocean and the LEDs CAN'T simply because they are not like halides in any way! The growth from halides is superb. There is no doubt that halides grow corals faster than LEDs. Period! The shimmering (caustic lines) is so similar to the sun that if you watch videos you just can't tell apart. Kids know that! LOL! Ask your grandma!!! She will tell you the truth! Ha! We actually had a reefer here that switched from LEDs to halides and his grandma said something like that.. LOL, anyways..
Now, when Mike was saying his LEDs were the best thing in the world, all LED users loved him so much! "Oh, see, he is one of the best authors out there, blah, blah, blah..." I said it would be just a matter of time until he would see the results and would go back to halides. I also said, and still say, same thing about Dr. Sanjay, the "guru of reef lighting"! I still believe he will get his halides back over his tank. Point is that most LED user defends their purchases like crazy (confirmation bias), or they don't care about results, or they actually don't know any better. You guys want LED to be the future, I get it. I once though it would be so great to have those "benefits" so many talked about. Too bad it doesn't work in practice. Unless you like those results. I don't.
If one of the most experienced guys in the world, that grows corals like mad, who really know reef lighting, who actually wrote so many important SCIENTIFIC ARTICLES and performed SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS throughout his life about lighting, says halides will be still the best for his tank, even though he is still using one of the best selling LEDs ever... WOULD YOU BELIEVE? Do you think you know better? LOL!!!!!! Sorry, Dr. Sanjay knows better. You need any scientific paper to go against his thoughts? Are you joking? LOL!

BUT... see... I still respect you LED uses. I do! I have so many friends using LEDs... I know it's your tank and you do whatever you want. Just try to be more rational. Can you actually prove LEDs are BETTER than halide in terms of QUALITY of light using ANY scientific paper?? NO! If scientists can't prove halides are better, no one can, right? Besides, scientific experiments are performed in a total different manner from what we keep out tanks. The results from our systems are what we should look for. I think.

I'm glad Mike will try halides again. He is looking forward to make his tank better and will use his LEDs as a secondary source of light, what I've been suggested for so many years. Is that a problem? Yes, I'm happy to hear that. What if he doesn't like halides after he tries again? LOL! Will that mater to you then? LOL! Will your bias be conformed then?
I know what I want. Do you? That is what matters, my friends. Everyone is different and everyone will choose what fits best.

Go to a store that knows what they are doing and find a halide tank and cry in front of it!!!! You will have your heart stopped by the amazing MAGIC of those bulbs!!! Ha! Chiller will help in most cases! If you need a chiller you need a chiller.

Mike has been saying for years and years that his best tank ever was that 500gallon. He thought size would be the main reason why. I said the halides was the main reason. I think now he kinda understands some of my points.

LEDS:
1638032430645.png

1638032500227.png

1638032729516.png

1638032853586.png

1638032889788.png

METAL HALIDES:

1638032618551.png

1638032638850.png

1638032665662.png

1638033059289.png

1638033080228.png

1638033103493.png

BOOM!!!
I just remembered this from most of my led seen tanks.
People that run way more leds than is needed on their systems get the proper coverage, imo.

This is where halides shine. Less equals more when running halides.

A few who run way more led fixtures than the manufactures recommend have halide looking tanks with equal, imo, growth and health.

Also their is nothing wrong with promoting something you obviously stand behind and love.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90's reefer ….came from halides, to now Orpheks……like them a lot. good color and spread. Maybe not as good as my halides but not far off. Recently moved and set the tank back up after a disaster late last summer. So it’s kind of like starting a whole new build a d starting with leds as I lost all my corals. Interesting to see the new chapter in my tank.
I run 2 full panels on my tank

corey

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90's reefer ….came from halides, to now Orpheks……like them a lot. good color and spread. Maybe not as good as my halides but not far off. Recently moved and set the tank back up after a disaster late last summer. So it’s kind of like starting a whole new build a d starting with leds as I lost all my corals. Interesting to see the new chapter in my tank.
I run 2 full panels on my tank

corey
Start a build thread so we all can follow!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go guys...

LEDS:
1638032430645.png

1638032500227.png

1638032729516.png

1638032853586.png

1638032889788.png

METAL HALIDES:

1638032618551.png

1638032638850.png

1638032665662.png

1638033059289.png

1638033080228.png

1638033103493.png

BOOM!!!
I think these pictures are enough for me to pass on the halides. I don't care if they are better at growing corals, look at that monstrosity over the tank. I would never want or could think of getting the wife to accept having something so ugly in the living room regardless of the beautiful corals. So I will stick with my allegedly worst performing leds that Mike Paletta doesn't like anymore and grow my corals a bit slower.

On another topic, I also have a tang in my 75g, I don't QT and I think corals are overpriced. Want to discuss that? :)

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these pictures are enough for me to pass on the halides. I don't care if they are better at growing corals, look at that monstrosity over the tank. I would never want or could think of getting the wife to accept having something so ugly in the living room regardless of the beautiful corals. So I will stick with my allegedly worst performing leds that Mike Paletta doesn't like anymore and grow my corals a bit slower.

On another topic, I also have a tang in my 75g, I don't QT and I think corals are overpriced. Want to discuss that? :)
Ugly, lol. One persons ugly is anothers beauty.
Its all good. Run what you like as its always good to have choices.

My wife loves the industrial look of my lights. I also have an open welded steel stand which you would probably not like.

Ok tell me how much your wife would disaprove of this system, lol.

Yes corals are over priced!
Depends on the tang in the 75.
I dont QT either.
20211102_170109.jpg

20211127_101056.jpg

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion… I ran halides for many years in the past. I ran lots of different bulb/ballast combinations on various tanks. Some of them grew corals well, some of them not so much. My most successful bulbs actually didn’t resemble todays LEDs at all. For example, XM10k was pretty yellow, yet it grew acros MUCH better than the very blue Radium.

Fast forward - I bought some off the shelf LEDs, and they were pretty crap at growing corals. No matter which I tried, they were either not providing enough PAR, or burning the SPS (sometimes BOTH at the same time).

Being a DIY guy, I decided to experiment with DIY LED fixtures. This was like 10 years ago. I tried different combinations of LEDs at different strengths and different optics. And lo and behold, some of these combos were just as good, if not better than Halides at growing corals. The ones that worked the best for me were large arrays without optics (wide angle). Without optics, you actually have to use a larger number of LEDs to deliver the proper PAR. But interestingly, I could deliver 500+ PAR to the corals without them being aggravated or burned to death. BTW these DIY arrays would end up costing about the same as commercial fixtures would.

My conclusion is that it’s not really that LEDs are inferior to halides, it’s that commercial implementations of LEDs are crap. :) Companies know people are measuring PAR, so they add highly focused optics to boost the PAR instead of adding LEDs, which is cheaper obviously. On top of that, they also try to replicate the spectrum of some of the least effective Halides - like the Radiums. If you compare the legendary XM10k to Radium, you’ll see the spectrum peaks are completely different. (I’m gonna catch flack for bashing the Radiums, I know).

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered this from most of my led seen tanks.
People that run way more leds than is needed on their systems get the proper coverage, imo.

This is where halides shine. Less equals more when running halides.

A few who run way more led fixtures than the manufactures recommend have halide looking tanks with equal, imo, growth and health.

Also their is nothing wrong with promoting something you obviously stand behind and love.
Still some of the tanks using LEDs can't reproduce exactly what we see under halides. Like Sanjay's tank, for example. Some of the corals are pale and lost their natural coloration they used to produce under the halides, even though he is using them at total power with all the channels to try, like the bright fluorescent yellow Porites he was talking about. That coral is now gray. He has been having 8 to 10 Radions over the tank and he said he still could fit more to try to achieve results. He also said we would need at least the same amount of watts to be able to try to get same results. Truth is that he is actually using MORE watts with his LEDs and still not achieving the results he had under halides, he said.
Yes, nothing wrong in promoting something we obviously stand behind, love and see the results you are looking for.
Thanks very much for the post!!

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion… I ran halides for many years in the past. I ran lots of different bulb/ballast combinations on various tanks. Some of them grew corals well, some of them not so much. My most successful bulbs actually didn’t resemble todays LEDs at all. For example, XM10k was pretty yellow, yet it grew acros MUCH better than the very blue Radium.

Fast forward - I bought some off the shelf LEDs, and they were pretty crap at growing corals. No matter which I tried, they were either not providing enough PAR, or burning the SPS (sometimes BOTH at the same time).

Being a DIY guy, I decided to experiment with DIY LED fixtures. This was like 10 years ago. I tried different combinations of LEDs at different strengths and different optics. And lo and behold, some of these combos were just as good, if not better than Halides at growing corals. The ones that worked the best for me were large arrays without optics (wide angle). Without optics, you actually have to use a larger number of LEDs to deliver the proper PAR. But interestingly, I could deliver 500+ PAR to the corals without them being aggravated or burned to death. BTW these DIY arrays would end up costing about the same as commercial fixtures would.

My conclusion is that it’s not really that LEDs are inferior to halides, it’s that commercial implementations of LEDs are crap. :) Companies know people are measuring PAR, so they add highly focused optics to boost the PAR instead of adding LEDs, which is cheaper obviously. On top of that, they also try to replicate the spectrum of some of the least effective Halides - like the Radiums. If you compare the legendary XM10k to Radium, you’ll see the spectrum peaks are completely different. (I’m gonna catch flack for bashing the Radiums, I know).

Oh, and T5s only became “good at growing corals” after people forgot about halides.
Yes, That's true. Most commercial LEDs aren't what they should, or do not cover what they claim.
Get the best LED panels you can afford side by side, like Lani, covering the entire suface area of your tank and you will have very similar results you have under T5s. I can't have the same results using T5s that I have under halides though. Not the same! They give you different results. Love ATI fixtures and bulbs!!!!! Amazing results for much less money than getting those LED panels, of course!!
Gotta love those 10 XMs!!! Sun in the house!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugly, lol. One persons ugly is anothers beauty.
Its all good. Run what you like as its always good to have choices.

My wife loves the industrial look of my lights. I also have an open welded steel stand which you would probably not like.

Ok tell me how much your wife would disaprove of this system, lol.

Yes corals are over priced!
Depends on the tang in the 75.
I dont QT either.
20211127_101056.jpg
Lol agree. Eye of the beholder.
Yes, I could never convince her to have lights like those in the living room.
The stand I love, I hate the one I have.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still some of the tanks using LEDs can't reproduce exactly what we see under halides. Like Sanjay's tank, for example. Some of the corals are pale and lost their natural coloration they used to produce under the halides, even though he is using them at total power with all the channels to try, like the bright fluorescent yellow Porites he was talking about. That coral is now gray
So lets get this straight he had one or 2 out of dozens of coral species change to a "bad" color?
Diverging from unliked coloration to different coloration who exactly decides on what the " real" color should be.

Color shifts under different spectrum are a given regardless of tech. Dana has a nice vid on it.

Won' t even get into the reflective differences in spectrum that make identical pigments look a different color.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets get this straight he had one or 2 out of dozens of coral species change to a "bad" color?
Diverging from unliked coloration to different coloration who exactly decides on what the " real" color should be.

Color shifts under different spectrum are a given regardless of tech. Dana has a nice vid on it.

Won' t even get into the reflective differences in spectrum that make identical pigments look a different color.
There’s something to that though. I had zero success with true “yellow” corals under everything but halide. Had nothing to do with pigmentation under a different light. There are some colors that can be difficult (not impossible) under LED but are great under halide. In my experience the reverse of that is not true.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s something to that though. I had zero success with true “yellow” corals under everything but halide. Had nothing to do with pigmentation under a different light. There are some colors that can be difficult (not impossible) under LED but are great under halide. In my experience the reverse of that is not true.
Interesting! My pink floyd, meller yeller are greenish under my halides with or without OR3 blue sky and plus. When the OR3's are on and halides off both are vivid yellow.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking growth or just color?
Mercury based lights have an amber spike that most leds don't.

And there is no doubt different wavelengths encourage different pigments.
Thing is that's just different not "superior" for many. It can be but it gets somewhat into subjectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back