Mike Paletta finally recognizes some of the superior qualities of METAL HALIDES over LEDs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye it’s nonsense. It was settled for me when Adam from battlecorals posted he has the same growth and color from MH, T5, and leds. They are plumbed in the same system so chemistry is the same and he pays his mortgage with coral so has a much larger interest than most of us in growth and color. There is then thermans system that might have some of the nicest acros in the world and he uses primarily reefbreeders photon leds.

But this has all been posted before and when the next anti led thread is posted in a week it won’t be brought up.

CnidaChris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every post I checked in your history before I got bored is about metal halides. You either own a metal halide company, have massive stock in metal halides, or have a metal halide kink. No judgements on the last one, to each their own.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to go to MH, but just with T5 the house temp has to stay at 72 during the summer or the tank will swing from 78-79 to 82+. Can't imagine what MH would do, and I do not have the space for a chiller.
Same here. If you need a chiller you need a chiller with or without halides. When I tried LEDs I also needed a chiller. Unless you choose to starve the corals with much less intensity. Water temp will go up only about 1 or 2°F in most cases with halides. Put a fan over the tank between halides and water surface and you will cut heat transfer significantly. Heat isn't a good excuse to avoid halides.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye it’s nonsense. It was settled for me when Adam from battlecorals posted he has the same growth and color from MH, T5, and leds. They are plumbed in the same system so chemistry is the same and he pays his mortgage with coral so has a much larger interest than most of us in growth and color. There is then thermans system that might have some of the nicest acros in the world and he uses primarily reefbreeders photon leds.

But this has all been posted before and when the next anti led thread is posted in a week it won’t be brought up.
Thanks again for reminding me of Adam!
Here:

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every post I checked in your history before I got bored is about metal halides. You either own a metal halide company, have massive stock in metal halides, or have a metal halide kink. No judgements on the last one, to each their own.
Everyone thinks that. LOL!!!! I have absolutely nothing related to halides or T5s aquarium business!!! No sponsor either!!!! You guys are very defensive. Too bad most of you don't even know I'm on your side. Those who believed and tried didn't go back to LEDs. Oh well...
Get to the subject, people. That is what's important.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for reminding me of Adam!
Here:
You still know what he said about all 3 types having the same growth and color, but I know it doesn’t matter to you.

this is his more recent post:

9EB76F39-C886-4ADB-97D2-F0D101D46D35.jpeg

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the vast majority of members here who have used all 3 can confirm MH is superior when it comes to coral health. T5 is second best, and LED is a distant 3rd.

Not sure why everyone is giving so much grief to the OP. I realize the delivery is off but there is nothing wrong with being passionate and trying to make sure everyone is aware of what the best light for coral is.

So many members here appear to be on the brink of a brain aneurysm at the first inclination that a tang may potentially go into a tank less than 5000 gallons, or any other fish for that matter has the potential for a small amount of suffering. You see these people litter almost every thread about fish stocking. Why is it not acceptable for the OP to be so concerned about coral health?

Grandis - You do come across as a bit of a fanatical lunatic when you post the same topic/thread in multiple places. Although it may not meet your webster's dictionary definition, I think general society would agree what you did is considered spamming and most people will take offense to that. When conveying info you want people to pay attention to and absorb, it's helpful to try and not be the most irritating person in the room.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the vast majority of members here who have used all 3 can confirm MH is superior when it comes to coral health. T5 is second best, and LED is a distant 3rd.

Not sure why everyone is giving so much grief to the OP. I realize the delivery is off but there is nothing wrong with being passionate and trying to make sure everyone is aware of what the best light for coral is.

So many members here appear to be on the brink of a brain aneurysm at the first inclination that a tang may potentially go into a tank less than 5000 gallons, or any other fish for that matter has the potential for a small amount of suffering. You see these people litter almost every thread about fish stocking. Why is it not acceptable for the OP to be so concerned about coral health?

Grandis - You do come across as a bit of a fanatical lunatic when you post the same topic/thread in multiple places. Although it may not meet your webster's dictionary definition, I think general society would agree what you did is considered spamming and most people will take offense to that. When conveying info you want people to pay attention to and absorb, it's helpful to try and not be the most irritating person in the room.
While I agree with your order, the difference between the 3 is small. I would not call LED distant by any measure.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree with your order, the difference between the 3 is small. I would not call LED distant by any measure.
Once again. They all work if you know what your doing. I have seen all 3 lighting types grow healthy coral. Its not just the lights!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that is just it. Many of us who have had all 3 don’t think MH is king at all. Especially alone. There were plenty of threads about shading issues on the forums In the late 90s (miss compuserve) and RC that halide alone has and people adding t5. Just not many of us either from that era or remember it that well.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with @hart24601. I've ran Halides, T5s, LEDs, Hybrid combos of all three (at one point even MH, T5 and LED hybrid), and Halides were not superior.

Pros of halides were that the startup cost of a halide fixture is relatively cheap compared to T5 and LEDs, but cons included massive heat output and light bleed.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still know what he said about all 3 types having the same growth and color, but I know it doesn’t matter to you.

this is his more recent post:

9EB76F39-C886-4ADB-97D2-F0D101D46D35.jpeg
Didn't he also say T5s narrowly edged out the others?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is just it. Many of us who have had all 3 don’t think MH is king at all. Especially alone. There were plenty of threads about shading issues on the forums In the late 90s (miss compuserve) and RC that halide alone has and people adding t5. Just not many of us either from that era or remember it that well.
I agree with @hart24601. I've ran Halides, T5s, LEDs, Hybrid combos of all three (at one point even MH, T5 and LED hybrid), and Halides were not superior.

Pros of halides were that the startup cost of a halide fixture is relatively cheap compared to T5 and LEDs, but cons included massive heat output and light bleed.
Interesting. I may stand corrected.

For the record though I'm talking about strictly coral growth and health. Not the cost / heat / etc. I switched to LED for many reasons but not for coral health. I much prefer all the other aspects of LED's as mentioned over and over again not related to coral.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I may stand corrected.

For the record though I'm talking about strictly coral growth and health. Not the cost / heat / etc. I switched to LED for many reasons but not for coral health. I much prefer all the other aspects of LED's as mentioned over and over again not related to coral.

The shading alone was such a large issue back then (less now that t5 or led bars are common to add) I would have to vote for large panel t5 covering the whole top of tank when it comes to the ultimate plug and play for coral health with one lighting technology. Having a big mh reflector helps, but it was a very common issue when running MH alone.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shading alone was such a large issue back then (less now that t5 or led bars are common to add) I would have to vote for large panel t5 covering the whole top of tank when it comes to the ultimate plug and play for coral health with one lighting technology. Having a big mh reflector helps, but it was a very common issue when running MH alone.
I went with the Photon V2 with two of the blue bars to cover my 4x2x2 120g. Does that count as the large panel? All the montis growing on the side walls and back wall slowly died as they just did not get enough light. The ones about 4 or 5 inches from the wall were fine. A few other places that were slightly shaded before (slightly underneath a birds nest and slightly under a hammer) also turned into dead zones for other corals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back