Mikes 375/ 700 total gallons!!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Kole, Chevron, and Purple tang all made it out of QT and are in the display! Absolute amazement with all the tangs that are in there. I currently have:

Achillies Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Kole Tang
Scopas Tang
Purple Tang
Chevron Tang

also have none tang fish which are:

Blue damsel
Black and White stripped damsel
Black Leopard Wrasse
Xmas Wrasse

They are all getting along for the most part, which I am really surprised about, but they have all figured out the pecking order and know who is number 1. There is the usual hit and run, but that is very far and few in between.

I have a Powder Brown tang that is in QT now but I have not decided if he will make it to the display or if he will be one of the frag tank occupants.
you got it Rocking!

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I am having some struggles right now, which is to be expected. I know it is just "new tank syndrome" but I hate dealing with algae, of any kind. Right now, it is Dino's.

I have raised my nitrates, they are almost 10.
phosphates are .05, I just ordered some stuff to raise that, looking to get it to .25-.4
ALk is 8.71
Cal is 431
Mg is 1344

I feed flake food 2x a day and I am squirting in some frozen at least 2x a day. You would think that would raise my PO4 but it is not enough.

Today I got in there with a tooth brush and hose. Cleaned and siphoned out as much as I could. I had one end with the tooth brush while the other went into a filter sock into a brute where I pumped the filtered water right back to the display.

I think if I do this a couple more times, along with raising PO4 and keeping the nitrates up, I should have some success. We will see.

And if that is not enough, when I woke up this morning I found my Rainbow Nem floating around in the water, I think it either split or went thru a Vortech. Currently have it in a box to see if I can get it to recover.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_2893.JPG

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well here is an update, Algae is currently gone! Stuggling with some levels, but I feel like I am thru the hard part and I should have this thing almost figured out. I have added 3 more Radion g5's so I now have 6 of them for lighting. I have turned the Ecotechs down alot, so I can keep the sand in the tank. I have 22 fish in there currently along with some LPS. Struggling with the SPS currently. But, like mentioned earlier hoping I am around that corner. I have recently added some red and purple caps to see if I can keep those going. Baby steps!!!

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, like all reef tanks, some of the equipment I bought in the beginning, I have either upgraded or added more of.. My lights I have changed to the Ecotech gen 5 and for flow I have added some. I now have 3 MP60's and an MP40.

So with that being said, I should be good on lights and flow, for a little bit anyways.

Just need to be patient enough I guess for the bio to develop so I can actually keep SPS alive, which I have had no luck doing so far.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is an update. Currently I am deployed, been gone for exactly 30 days today. So far the APEX has been priceless along with the WYZE cameras that I have set up.

The tank is 2 days away from being 1 year old. Holy smokes, it has been fun thus far. Still a long ways to go. I will try to get the wife to take some pictures for me to post. This time away I feel will be really helpful in the progression of the tank. Nothing will be added during the time I am away. Still not completely certain when I will be returning, but tank wise, the longer the more mature and stable it will be. I will get some pictures and post them, just wanted to chime in

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well boys and girls, i only got a month left, then I will be back home resting in my own bed! I can not wait. I must say that if you leave on any kind of trip, the apex is a must have. It has made this deployment so much easier I can not put a value on it.

Got some things to figure out with the tank still, I still can not keep any kind of hard coral. Wifey put a cap in there and with in 2 weeks, it was dead.. I am at a loss as far as that goes. Only thing i can think of now is is either there is something in the rock or maybe the flow is to strong. I just started thinking about the flow here recently.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back