Mikes 375/ 700 total gallons!!

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all, I just ordered my 375 today and it should be here in the next 5-8 weeks. With that being said i am getting ready to start the stand design. I am currently in the process of redoing my floors where this monster will sit. I will also be adding some electric so I can have more power!! However for the stand, I would like to have a rather large opening in center of it, with the tank measuring 96x37.5x24 i am wondering if I shouldn't have 2 larger openings with a brace dead center in the front. Then i could have 2 larger openings on either side of the center brace. Thoughts?
Michael

Last edited:

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice size tank, I guess the openings will largely depend on the following
-if a center brace is enough to support the weight
- Are you putting doors on it? if so need to consider size of door and hinging.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am really not sure how many braces in the center I will need, i guess as long as i can get in there i will be OK. As far as removing the sump i could do that from either end.
I do plan to have doors, but may try and come up with some kind of hingeless doors.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the reality of how big this tank is going to be has started to sink in, as I am building the stand. I have attached what I have done so far for the stand, I still need to attach the bottom ply, 4x4s across the top, the top ply, and the face and sides. So far a productive day.

As I start looking at the equipment requirements, I see that I am going to be in for an expensive ride!! I am trying to figure out the lighting 1st. I want mostly SPS but I will have a few LPS as well. I am looking at the Radion XR30 Pro unit. Now I know that I should at a minimum get 4 units. But as you can see with the design of the tank, I am only going to have 3 openings. What are everyones thoughts on this? Will 3 be ok? will i need 4? 5? Is there another light that I should go with? Back in the day I would not consider anything other then Metal Halides.. So me getting this far is an accomplishment!

Give me your thoughts on this!

Mike

stand2.jpg stand1.jpg stand drawing.jpg

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well it is Friday and I got my 1st update from Joe@Glasscages and my build is "in the que for prep work prior to assembly!" I am so stoked! Joe has really been a pleasure to work with, he deals with all my questions and is quick to reply. Great experience thus far!

I went and got a sump today, just going to use a 75 gallon tank. I will need to get some baffles made for it but that should not be to hard. Also picked up 50 lbs of rock and a pump that I will use for mixing saltwater. I may try and see if i can get maybe a 29 gallon to fit under the tank next to the 75 for an added refugium. We will see!!!

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have made some progress! i still need to do doors, trim and stain for the stand. got the electrical run and sump done. gunna be a good weekend! I alos got the salt and an RO unit in so i can start making some water!!

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Updates!!!

I will be picking my tank up from the delivery point on the 30th of October!!! Thanks Joe@glasscages!!

This is what I have/have figured out so far.

Sump- It will be a 75 and a 40 plumbed together. 75 will house the return pump, heaters, skimmer, fuge and a filter sock. The 40 will be jammed with rock.

Return pump- Vectra M2. Currently just going to do 1, I dont think I will need another just yet.

Flow- I will be buying 4 ecotechs, 2-MP40s and 2 MP60s.

Lights- This has been a struggle for me. LEDs or MHs. I have looked at both so much, I am old, So i feel like MH will be the way to go... However I need to realize that sometimes change is good. Instead of dropping all the coin on an expensive LED set up, I bought 4 of the Viparspectra 300W. If I like how these light, I know that the I can get a better product a better controllable product, If I dont like them I will go to the MHs.

Skimmer- I will be purchasing a Regal 300SSS.

Rock- I will be getting about 500 pounds worth. Should fill the display nicely and any leftovers will be used in the sump.

If all goes well I will start filling this monster up the 1st week in December!

Last edited:
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, got the lights today, quick install in the canopy all I can say is wow. I will post some pictures tomorrow, for all to see. I can say that I think halides are brighter, but I feel these may be more pure, if that makes sense. Once I get the tank and water done, it will I am sure be even better. With each day that passes, I get more excited! Right now, I am happy, happy, happy!!

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also my skimmer came in today and I decided to put it to work on the sump. I feel like I will have to raise it up some, but for now it is just breaking in. I have it set at 2 and it is fully open. Thing is an absolute beast so far.

skimmer 1.jpg skimmer2.jpg skimmer3.jpg skimmer4.jpg

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got about 500 lbs of base rock delivered by the Fedex man! Not to bad honestly, I will clean it up a little when it stops raining and see what we really have, but the 1 box I opened looks to be on point and "stack-a-bility" looks to be promising!!

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tomorrow is the day I can start adding water. I have to finish up the doors, the sides to the canopy, and the return plumbing for the display. Awaiting an order from BRS that should be here tomorrow. Super stoked that this dream is becoming a reality.

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow - that thing is big - I thought water was already in it - lol

I think I'm going to try to go with Glasscages when I'm ready. That rimless 75 long of theirs looks like the perfect size for what I want to do.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back