Mike's Grow Out/Frag for Trade Project

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I survived.
no sheet rock. I hung foam board to cover all the pipes. humidity in the summer makes the pipes drip.
mounting in to 2x4's but had to add some to clear the pipes which meant taking down one sheet of foam board.
which meant going back to home depot for new fasteners. stripped the "stars" taking them out.
only had one scary moment when a copper pipe moved vertical about 3/4".
said pipe is plumbed to the baseboard heat in the kitchen directly above. nothing leaking. yea.
so here it be.
IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

disregard the gravel vac. it's just for show. :cool:
@danieyella when can you be here to program it?;)
Very nice sir. Did you get the upgrade kit for light? Just makes everything so much easier and alot more smoother. Having local reefer familiar with lamp def helps.

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is growing macro inside out competing other nuisance algea?
ALGAE011119.jpg

this natural growth. sometimes I've cleaned it out and thrown in some chaeto which also grows really well in it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid to ask.... what upgrade kit?
Wifi upgrade kit. Puts the lamp on an app so no more fiddling with remote.
Its alot more smooth. The ramp up and down is probably going to drive you crazy not having it the lamp ramps up and down in much smaller and smoother increments and alot less stressful and noticeable on the coral.
Also takes alot of the malfunction out of having to reset your lamp after changes are made.
I wouldn't run a v2+ without the upgrade now. My wifi chip went crazy on me and I ended up burning up and losing at least 10 corals from the mishap.

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi upgrade kit. Puts the lamp on an app so no more fiddling with remote.
Its alot more smooth. The ramp up and down is probably going to drive you crazy not having it the lamp ramps up and down in much smaller and smoother increments and alot less stressful and noticeable on the coral.
Also takes alot of the malfunction out of having to reset your lamp after changes are made.
I wouldn't run a v2+ without the upgrade now. My wifi chip went crazy on me and I ended up burning up and losing at least 10 corals from the mishap.
my corals aren't prissy. :p
ramp up and down won't bother me, if I even bother with ramping.
I started in the hobby with on/off lights. it's a non issue.
wifi feed isn't consistent in the basement either.
and it would just be another app on my phone killing that battery.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my corals aren't prissy. :p
ramp up and down won't bother me, if I even bother with ramping.
I started in the hobby with on/off lights. it's a non issue.
wifi feed isn't consistent in the basement either.
and it would just be another app on my phone killing that battery.
Right on
My shrooms have been pretty forgiving themselves. But when my lamp decided to get all crazy and run super high intensity and dim all on its own. I did burn some up. Also lost my huge rfa that came on gulf rock.
Just watch it close if you make changes after its set up and running.
Also wouldnt bother with ramping if its not needed.
The channels all ramp up and down out of sync as far as the way it ramps in increments. Its not smooth at all and you will notice some stress on corals with spectrum changing to much throughout process instead of a nice clean smooth transition and spectrum change closer together.

@danieyella did you get upgrade kit installed?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on
My shrooms have been pretty forgiving themselves. But when my lamp decided to get all crazy and run super high intensity and dim all on its own. I did burn some up. Also lost my huge rfa that came on gulf rock.
Just watch it close if you make changes after its set up and running.
Also wouldnt bother with ramping if its not needed.
The channels all ramp up and down out of sync as far as the way it ramps in increments. Its not smooth at all and you will notice some stress on corals with spectrum changing to much throughout process instead of a nice clean smooth transition and spectrum change closer together.

@danieyella did you get upgrade kit installed?
I did, I love it! So much easier. I started it on the default mixed reef setting, and I haven't really tweaked it since then yet but the corals all seem pretty happy with it. I just turned on that moonlight option, with the max percentage at 2% - have you noticed any pros or cons with that?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, I love it! So much easier. I started it on the default mixed reef setting, and I haven't really tweaked it since then yet but the corals all seem pretty happy with it. I just turned on that moonlight option, with the max percentage at 2% - have you noticed any pros or cons with that?
I haven't checked out moonlight mode yet but wanted to see whats up with it and if I cant get some some spawning going. I have a cpl shrooms that literally spit white milky chunks when I handle them at times haha.
Have you noticed the smoothness in ramping that I was trying to explain? Definitely a much easier smoother process and what the lamp really needed the whole time:)

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked out moonlight mode yet but wanted to see whats up with it and if I cant get some some spawning going. I have a cpl shrooms that literally spit white milky chunks when I handle them at times haha.
Have you noticed the smoothness in ramping that I was trying to explain? Definitely a much easier smoother process and what the lamp really needed the whole time:)
Yes, I didn't realize how choppy the lamp was before until I saw how smooth it is with the upgrade . I switched over to these from viparspectras so ramping was new for me to begin with

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I didn't realize how choppy the lamp was before until I saw how smooth it is with the upgrade . I switched over to these from viparspectras so ramping was new for me to begin with
Same i always ran MH back in the day. Everything is new to me from this last year and I can tell you everything's changed from 20 yrs ago and probably will again haha.

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same i always ran MH back in the day. Everything is new to me from this last year and I can tell you everything's changed from 20 yrs ago and probably will again haha.
pretty sure I won't be reefing in 20. ;)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
none that i see.. ;)

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really tempted to go skimmer-less and just have an ATS. My go to would be a clear water waterfall style

But your Santa Monica surf scrubber does look nice....

Meme Think GIF

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really tempted to go skimmer-less and just have an ATS. My go to would be a clear water waterfall style

But your Santa Monica surf scrubber does look nice....

Meme Think GIF
I advocate nothing. ;)

Back