OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the part of the hobby that is so intriguing and frustrating at the same time.

Everything and nothing makes sense.

Here is some more information per some questions asked......and thank you all for your involvement!

Lighting unchanged for months

6-7 weeks ago 2nd gyre added. Flow everywhere!

2 weeks ago installed larger return pump. Pushing 1600-1700 gph vs 1000 gph.

Used rowaphos in a media bag for 5 weeks (end of September thru all of October). Phosphate went from .15 to .02. Removed and has not been in since and staying at 0 on Hanna ULR.

Used Vibrant to kill off GHA in sept and oct. not used since.

UV runs 24/7. Perhaps an “A ha!) I removed the UV early November as I cleaned it and waited for my new return pump and used the old return pump for the UV as the Sicce pump I have is noisy and is a bear to get started. That’s about 6 weeks ago when the cyano first started showing up.

Been adding Seachem matrix/denitrate to low flow area of the sump. 6 liters in place now.

Water temp is averaging 1 degree lower the past 45 days.

Note: I track all this on a spreadsheet so that’s how I know the dates and readings, etc.

Everything is growing in the tank. No corals look bad or not growing.

I’ll see if you all have any other thoughts now.

Also, I think it may be diatoms on the sand as they only show up when the lights are on. ???

The rocks with cyano were removed and cleaned with tank water and a toothbrush 2 days ago.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention “the worm” incident!

So, on Sunday when I was pulling and cleaning cyano off the rocks, I notice something fall off a rock as I was removing it.

I saw it hit the sand and start tumbling towards my RFAs.

So since I already had an arm and a leg in the tank, I grabbed it just as it got to a RFA.

It was very soft and squishy and it immediately opened up into a 2” or so worm!

All that went thru my head was “ bristle worm”!

I let go as if it was a spider in my hand (I hate spiders)!

It floated away behind the rocks.

Now I’m guessing it wasn’t a bristle worm since I didn’t get bristled.

It looked like a very pale earth worm and felt like one too.

I wish I could have got a pic.

At least I didn’t scream like a girl when it opened up!

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peanut worm maybe?

I just looked up peanut worm.

While I don’t have it available to compare, I feel pretty comfortable that you’re correct!

BYW, they are squishy if you grab them!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An evening video.

I love my fish, and they love me [emoji16]

Great video Mike, I can see the fish truly love you! Lol

The worm incident is funny and there is nothing wrong with screaming like a girl! Lol

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics from last night

959E82C0-941D-472C-ACF8-1C29917310B8.jpeg

EF8DA3D8-55A4-45AE-A1E4-14267F5EFD92.jpeg

FA17C714-A15B-4C67-8B06-F6146296450F.jpeg

11E3AC29-16FA-4AC8-878C-E1BF3C5BE77C.jpeg

BB6424BE-DCB4-409C-BD80-A9BF5C24CD2A.jpeg

FE5A888F-B1BD-413A-8344-FEE5DB27DD55.jpeg

0C68A2AB-FF2B-40F2-BFD2-D93193DE167E.jpeg

Wheeljack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely loving your tank! Love the activity top to bottom which is something I'm hoping to achieve with my own tank. I've also actually been lurking on this thread for the past few days reading through everything. Explains why I thought your name was familiar when you popped in to offer advice on my fish list. XD

How are you liking the Foxface in your tank? I briefly considered that fish but the poisonous barbs made me hesitant to include it as a possibility. Would you recommend him over a yellow tang?

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely loving your tank! Love the activity top to bottom which is something I'm hoping to achieve with my own tank. I've also actually been lurking on this thread for the past few days reading through everything. Explains why I thought your name was familiar when you popped in to offer advice on my fish list. XD

How are you liking the Foxface in your tank? I briefly considered that fish but the poisonous barbs made me hesitant to include it as a possibility. Would you recommend him over a yellow tang?

First, thanks for checking out my build!

I actually had a 2” yellow tang prior to adding the foxface. The tang terrorized the foxface. They are a very timid fish.

That was the final straw for the yellow tang. He already had my peaceful tank stressed out IMO.

It’s my fault though as I swore I would never own another tang but darn if he wasn’t so cute, small, and innocent looking!

I traded him in at my LFS.

As for the foxface, there is no better fish for algae eating. He hides when I’m in the tank doing anything and I actually have no real concerns about getting poked by his spines.

It’s not like they swim and attack with them. It’s more of a flare up and a tilt toward an oncoming threat.

I chose all my fish in order to have constant activity at all levels and believe I have achieved that.

The last addition of the flame angel, coral beauty, and flametail blenny really was the icing on the cake as those 3 are constantly covering every square inch of the tank.

Wheeljack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thanks for checking out my build!

I actually had a 2” yellow tang prior to adding the foxface. The tang terrorized the foxface. They are a very timid fish.

That was the final straw for the yellow tang. He already had my peaceful tank stressed out IMO.

It’s my fault though as I swore I would never own another tang but darn if he wasn’t so cute, small, and innocent looking!

I traded him in at my LFS.

As for the foxface, there is no better fish for algae eating. He hides when I’m in the tank doing anything and I actually have no real concerns about getting poked by his spines.

It’s not like they swim and attack with them. It’s more of a flare up and a tilt toward an oncoming threat.

I chose all my fish in order to have constant activity at all levels and believe I have achieved that.

The last addition of the flame angel, coral beauty, and flametail blenny really was the icing on the cake as those 3 are constantly covering every square inch of the tank.

I'll have to revisit the Foxface then! I have heard a lot about Yellow Tang aggression but there's always that little voice in the back of your head that says maybe you'll get one of the docile ones! Having a guaranteed peaceful fish that is just as beautiful and yellow as the tang is hard to say no to, that's for sure.

Also, how are you liking the Jebao pump? I had decided on a Reef Octopus Vario pump, but I just looked up yours and had a heart attack at the price difference. Not only is yours rated at a higher GPH but it's a third of the price. How quiet is it and how long have you had it?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to revisit the Foxface then! I have heard a lot about Yellow Tang aggression but there's always that little voice in the back of your head that says maybe you'll get one of the docile ones! Having a guaranteed peaceful fish that is just as beautiful and yellow as the tang is hard to say no to, that's for sure.

Also, how are you liking the Jebao pump? I had decided on a Reef Octopus Vario pump, but I just looked up yours and had a heart attack at the price difference. Not only is yours rated at a higher GPH but it's a third of the price. How quiet is it and how long have you had it?
Foxface are a great fish for a reef tank. They are very peaceful compared to Tangs and they also do fine in a slightly smaller aquarium.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 - do not listen to the voice inside your head!

Seriously the yellow tang is one of my favorite fish. But a peaceful stress free tank was the goal and it just doesn’t work for me this time.

@Brew12 has a beautiful display and a lot of tangs, and that scenario works great for him.

As for the Jebao, I’m running 2 in my return section and they are dead silent.

If they were noisy I would have swapped them out a long time ago.

For the price you can have 2 and cash left over. Super easy to swap them out for cleaning.

And if you buy from reefbreeders, you get a warranty. They are readily available out there but you must buy from a licensed distributor to get the warranty.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics from last night

959E82C0-941D-472C-ACF8-1C29917310B8.jpeg

EF8DA3D8-55A4-45AE-A1E4-14267F5EFD92.jpeg

FA17C714-A15B-4C67-8B06-F6146296450F.jpeg

11E3AC29-16FA-4AC8-878C-E1BF3C5BE77C.jpeg

BB6424BE-DCB4-409C-BD80-A9BF5C24CD2A.jpeg

FE5A888F-B1BD-413A-8344-FEE5DB27DD55.jpeg

0C68A2AB-FF2B-40F2-BFD2-D93193DE167E.jpeg
Great pics Mike! That rock flower looks super nice! After loosing the tribal blenny I have been tossing around getting another, but after looking at that flametail I might have to look into those, what a cool looking fish!

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics Mike! That rock flower looks super nice! After loosing the tribal blenny I have been tossing around getting another, but after looking at that flametail I might have to look into those, what a cool looking fish!

I have had well over 10 people ask about the flametail blenny.

It’s not a common one.

Since I’m off for the next week I may try to make a good video of it with better lighting and then do a write up about the 2 I have had.

Perhaps discuss behavior, diet, etc and post it in the fish forum.

They really are super cool and super active.

The hardest part of getting pics or filming them is the front end is jet black and it’s hard to see their cute little face!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back