Mike's Red Sea Reefer 525 XL build

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape turned out great! Love that Ive caught some experienced builders starting new build threads! I love you ask others! If there is a hobbiest you recommend a follow please share!

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape turned out great! Love that Ive caught some experienced builders starting new build threads! I love you ask others! If there is a hobbiest you recommend a follow please share!

Thanks for the compliments Brynn. I see you are rather new on R2R. I have been reading and learning everyday. This is my 2 nd tank. First one was a 30 gallon AIO. tell me what you have, perhaps start you own tank thread. Then I may be able to point you in some specific direction for people or threads to follow.

Welcome!

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments Brynn. I see you are rather new on R2R. I have been reading and learning everyday. This is my 2 nd tank. First one was a 30 gallon AIO. tell me what you have, perhaps start you own tank thread. Then I may be able to point you in some specific direction for people or threads to follow.

Welcome!

The most exciting thing I bought is the maxspect gyre200. Im coming from high tech CO2 injected tanks... good water flow is just as important as the light. I care about the scape, not sure what will eventually call my tank home. My concern is my tank is only 50 gallons. This equipment will run i estimate 10-20%. Not sure if it was the best splurge, but my gut said so.... thoughts?

IMG_20180211_080736.jpg

20180211_080632.jpg

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most exciting thing I bought is the maxspect gyre200. Im coming from high tech CO2 injected tanks... good water flow is just as important as the light. I care about the scape, not sure what will eventually call my tank home. My concern is my tank is only 50 gallons. This equipment will run i estimate 10-20%. Not sure if it was the best splurge, but my gut said so.... thoughts?

I personally think the gyre is one of the best purchases one can make. You can do a lot with the advanced controller. I’m running mine in random pulse mode with a max of 30%. And it’s moving sand on the bottom!

That will change as I add coral and move rocks and the sand gets some age to it.

I really wanted good flow across the sand to help keep it clean.

And it nice to be able to run at a low percentage. Very quiet and very easy to turn it up once more flow is needed.

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think the gyre is one of the best purchases one can make. You can do a lot with the advanced controller. I’m running mine in random pulse mode with a max of 30%. And it’s moving sand on the bottom!

That will change as I add coral and move rocks and the sand gets some age to it.

I really wanted good flow across the sand to help keep it clean.

And it nice to be able to run at a low percentage. Very quiet and very easy to turn it up once more flow is needed.

Yay! Awesome. Well thats 2/2 for yes. In freshwater there was a tendency to overvalue lighting & undervalue flow. Plants can have a great light but will rot if they are stagnant. I also need things user friendly for when I have a tank sitter. Unfortunately, a computer is a few months away. I appreciate your input.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mon-petit-océan.357383/

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sand depth did you go with? How fickle is the gyre with sand? I was planning 1 1/2. Have not bought sand was planning medium grain. however if i can go with small grain id prefer.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a few more fish over the weekend. A pair of ocellaris clowns (3/4”), tailspot blenny, 1 blue green chromis, and a pair of purple fire fish. And lastly, 3 red scarlet hermits.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on your ammonia level to make sure your tank can convert it to nitrates fast enough. You've added a lot and you want to make sure the bioload isn't too much for your system

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on your ammonia level to make sure your tank can convert it to nitrates fast enough. You've added a lot and you want to make sure the bioload isn't too much for your system

Thanks Fudsey. Yes I have added a lot qty wise. In total, the 14 fish equal 17” of small fish.

No more for about 60 days until I get my corals moved back in and ensure bioload stays under control.

Monitoring ammonia daily.

Back