Mike's Red Sea Reefer 525 XL build

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skim a bit wetter because of carbon dosing as that is how you remove most of the bacteria then. Really does nothing with the skimmer, as in it don’t go crazy or anything. Foam production increases dramatically, but no overflowing.
Ok I get the theory, I just cleaned the cup and reset my nyos 160, would it not work better if you skimmed dryer?
DSC00012 (1024x768).jpg

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I get the theory, I just cleaned the cup and reset my nyos 160, would it not work better if you skimmed dryer?
DSC00012 (1024x768).jpg
So, I have taken the advice of experienced users and skim wet. I have noticed if you skim dryer, the inside of the skimmer body builds up with much more mulm or bacteria slime, making it less efficient.
I also like to skim wet and empty more often as then I can add a gallon or 2 of fresh SW every week.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have taken the advice of experienced users and skim wet. I have noticed if you skim dryer, the inside of the skimmer body builds up with much more mulm or bacteria slime, making it less efficient.
I also like to skim wet and empty more often as then I can add a gallon or 2 of fresh SW every week.

I should have got a pic of my cup neck before I emptied it, all that neck build up is like dry skimming,, any crap you can wipe off is skimate no mater where it is?! ;)

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have got a pic of my cup neck before I emptied it, all that neck build up is like dry skimming,, any crap you can wipe off is skimate no mater where it is?! ;)
I will get some pics of the white bacteria slime you get when carbon dosing. It’s like white snot. I’m not talking in the cup. I mean inside the body of the skimmer.
it’s likes to collect and grow on plastics and nylon.
as soon as I get back to work, I have an idea to create a place for the bacteria to grow and flourish and be easily removable.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get some pics of the white bacteria slime you get when carbon dosing. It’s like white snot. I’m not talking in the cup. I mean inside the body of the skimmer.
it’s likes to collect and grow on plastics and nylon.
as soon as I get back to work, I have an idea to create a place for the bacteria to grow and flourish and be easily removable.

That is very helpful for someone at my lfs, he described exactly that, I had never come across anything like it before! :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustration galore for u lately mike. Especially since ur params were rock solid for months. Even in ur absence for work etc... so strange how things can get out of whack for no apparent reason. The headaches trying to figure it out are downright obnoxious.

Hope u find the balance soon or the increase in NoPox shows results.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing is in! Nitrates cut in half in 3 days! Down to 32ppm. Was 60+ I will just let the doser run at 40 ml NoPox per day and no more “shots” in addition to normal dosing.

phosphate down to .006! was .126 Wednesday. I dose 5 ml of LC and it dropped it hard! To low for my liking but I’m learning how to use this stuff. May feed a few pellets and flakes for snacks.

Alk is up to 8.8. I will cut back a bit on the doser and let it come back down to 8-8.5.

Tank is happy and everything is looking great!
image.jpg

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWEET ! ! ! Congrats ! ! !
It was a good learning experience! Still need nitrates to come down a bit and need to get them stable and balanced again. I love this hobby!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back