OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda nifty shot I got of my bubble tip tentacles...

IMG_2488.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great shot!

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure this picture captures it, but this rock anemone is huge. When people see the tank they are always surprised by it. They’re used to the little ones you buy.

IMG_0553.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure this picture captures it, but this rock anemone is huge. When people see the tank they are always surprised by it. They’re used to the little ones you buy.

IMG_0553.jpg

Wow how big?

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow how big?

Well, since you asked... it's about 7in wide. lol I've had this anemone for maybe 4 years now. I don't feed it, but it seems like it just keeps growing bigger. Even at this size, it somehow got sucked into my overflow and I had to rescue it a while back. It's not a fancy rainbow one, but it's nice.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed a couple shots of my rabbitfish eating nori. He has a lot more color the bigger he gets. Look at those chompers.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, just one more rabbitfish pic then I’m back to corals I swear. He’s racing to get the nori in this one. What a fatty.

IMG_0556.jpg

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give an update on my new tank flow. I don’t often see specific details on the types of flow, so I thought I’d share. The black below are my pumps, producing laminar flow. The other shapes are my rockwork. The pumps switch between constant and pulse throughout the day. During the times you see 0 on a side, the tank is in a gyre instead of a more turbulent counter wave. I’ve only used this for a week, so I make no promises, but it’s an example.

Here’s the schedule

Left side
00:00 -> 00:30 - Pulse 55% 10s
00:31 -> 05:30 - 0%
05:31 -> 06:30 - Pulse 55% 1.7s
06:31 -> 11:30 - 45%
11:31 -> 12:30 - Pulse 55% 10s
12:31 -> 17:30 - 0%
17:31 -> 18:30 - Pulse 55% 1.7s
18:31 -> 23:30 - 40%
23:31 -> 23:59 - Pulse 55% 10s

Right side
00:00 -> 00:30 - Pulse 55% 10s
00:31 -> 05:30 - 40%
05:31 -> 06:30 - Pulse 55% 1.7s
06:31 -> 11:30 - 0%
11:31 -> 12:30 - Pulse 55% 10s
12:31 -> 17:30 - 45%
17:31 -> 18:30 - Pulse 55% 1.7s
18:31 -> 23:30 - 0%
23:31 -> 23:59 - 55%

Last edited:
OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a giant tree fall this morning, and it got me thinking about backup power in case of disaster. I have had a UPS for a while, but it really only added maybe 45min of backup. Now that I have 2 tanks I’m doing some upgrading, and learning more about the options.

I want something that will last long enough for me to get home and start my portable generator. To do this, I first needed a notification that power is out. I’m using a smaller UPS on my cable modem and router to ensure they stay up long enough to hopefully sent a notification from my Neptune Systems apex. On the apex I have 2 energy bars, one with UPS protection, and one without. All the important stuff goes on the one with backup power. When the Apex sees power is out on one of the bars, I’ll get a phone notification.

For the UPS, one thing I did not realize is that you can’t just chain multiple together for more power. You need one that supports adding external battery packs. I’m going to switch to use an APC SMX1000. It supports up to 10 extra batteries. My goal someday would be to have enough power to go 8 hours, so that if I didn’t get a notification, everything could go until I got home. Keep in mind that batteries only last 5 years, so replacing them could be expensive.

I’ve also purchased a portable generator to meet my goal of days of backup power. I got a Honda EU2000I, which should provide enough juice, and lets you add another if the demands become higher. I hope I don’t need to use it, but the thought of everything dying in the cold wasn’t something I want to consider.

That’s the plan!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been in a bit of a slump this last week with me moving stuff around. But I did take time to appreciate this bowerbanki tonight.

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since you asked... it's about 7in wide. lol I've had this anemone for maybe 4 years now. I don't feed it, but it seems like it just keeps growing bigger. Even at this size, it somehow got sucked into my overflow and I had to rescue it a while back. It's not a fancy rainbow one, but it's nice.
When you feed these they grow even faster!! It's crazy. Mine must have doubled in 6 months.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a blasto colony I don’t think I’ve ever took a photo of. Been in the front corner of the tank for years now. I don’t even remember how many polyps it was when I bought it, or how long I’ve had it. Nothing fancy, but nice looking.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should post a pic! The photo of the month contest is rock anemones too. How big can they get?
I'm not really sure how big they get. Yours is bigger than mine, mines probably 5" or a little more. I suspected they were just always small by nature. I was shocked when I saw the growth change. It'll be interesting to see. I feed it a lot now because I too am curious.

I'll get a pic tomorrow and see if I have an older one.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the talk of coral bleaching, I’ll share my own story. I always wanted a wilsoni. They had been hard to come by, but there’s a plethora of them this year. I took the plunge, even though I dislike supporting mass importers. I know what I’m doing right? Ug. I got a nice 6” wilsoni. Put it on the sand at the bottom, 150 par. Looked incredible, but it started getting more and more pale. I paniced. Was it my 80F temp? Still too much light? I moved it into almost shade and started feeding reefroids to it. Now after many months it looks like this. I just moved it into the open and took some shots. It all looked like the pale right side, but the color is returning. I can’t wait to see it in another few months.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful Triton inspired aquarium, that's very interesting to read about the AP700 and the lack of good software with it . Are you much happier with all your Radion G4's or still a little upset about the nosiness from the fans?

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0553.jpg
Here's 6 months ago and now. It was about 3" and now it's >5". It doesn't lay flat like yours on the rock it's attached to. Hard to say total size.

IMG_1055.PNG

IMG_1047.JPG

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful Triton inspired aquarium, that's very interesting to read about the AP700 and the lack of good software with it . Are you much happier with all your Radion G4's or still a little upset about the nosiness from the fans?

Yeah, I like the G4s a lot, but the fans are still too loud lol. Kessil obviously had trouble with their wifi and config software, it’s too bad really. I called and chatted with Unique Corals a while back and they were trying to move from 400w radiums to the G4s over their acros, so people seem happy with them. WWC uses radions too.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's 6 months ago and now. It was about 3" and now it's >5". It doesn't lay flat like yours on the rock it's attached to. Hard to say total size.

IMG_1055.PNG

IMG_1047.JPG

He looks nice! Looks like he’s having a relaxing time under the red cap. Your bubbles are great looking too. I remember when mine was that size. Now it’s a terror, got huge and moves and causes trouble. Tomato likes them I bet.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks nice! Looks like he’s having a relaxing time under the red cap. Your bubbles are great looking too. I remember when mine was that size. Now it’s a terror, got huge and moves and causes trouble. Tomato likes them I bet.
Yeah I don't have a display. This is just a misc/nem tank on the grow out system. Tomato is a jerk and a nem hog. The skunks and maroon get the smaller ones and they all love them.

I'm a bit jealous of your placement. Not interested in moving mine but I'd like to see how much bigger it really is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back