Milky/cloudy Water in a New 20gal QT, Problem?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a 20 gallon QT last Sunday on the 25th. Aquaclear 20 with sponge, biomax and carbon, sponge filter, and 3lbs of live rock. Used 5 gallons of tank water to seed some bacteria. Added a small maroon clown same day. Plastic wrap lid to stave off evaporation.

Couple days ago, the water went from crystal clear to a milky sort of cloudiness. As I understand it, this can be from a bacteria bloom, but also other potential causes. Clown is still happy as can be, but I'm wondering if this is a signal for a potential problem?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30
Salinity 1.021
Temp 77f

Salinity is a little low, lfs was running hypo, and I've been slowly raising it.

DSC_0802.JPG

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it’s a bacterial bloom which is not unlikely to see in a new tank. It will balance out with time. Make sure you have enough flow and gas exchange in your tank to keep your clown safe.(bacteria will deplete oxygen)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Will do, though I am confident there's plenty of gas exchange. So long as it won't make the water toxic or anything to my little clown I am happy. More or less. :)

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a skimmer running aswell? Gets rid of the free floating bacteria and provides good gas exchange

Back