Milky skin, Cloudy eyes, White poop!

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted a thread about this a few days ago, the guy thought there was nothing...

The symptoms on the fish are
Milky skin,
eyes are starting to cloud,
a little redness on goby's tail,
Pale skin
and white stringy poop.
Also seen some itching.

Everyone is eating... But yeah it's on all the fish.

What disease is this? And what medicine should I get for my Display tank? P.s. I have inverts, but they are fine.

IMG_20210808_145042818_BURST008.jpg
IMG_20210808_144934282_BURST029~2.jpg
IMG_20210808_150208039_BURST002~2.jpg
IMG_20210808_150208039_BURST016.jpg
IMG_20210808_144755223.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad how about some help please.
My guess is brooklynella or a bacterial infection. With Intestinal worms? Should I try some freshwater dips?

I Just purchased Metroplex, Kanaplex, and focus online. This is the 4th day that I've been currently using Herbtana Microbe Lift, does not seem to be helping much. Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were my readings on Friday.
Using salifert

Ammonia <0.15ppm hard to tell.
Nitrite 0.025ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Alkalinity 8.3 DKH
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0ppm
Magnesium 1335ppm
Calcium 420-425ppm
Salinity 1.026 SG
Temp 78 F

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is brooklynella or a bacterial infection. With Intestinal worms? Should I try some freshwater dips?

I Just purchased Metroplex, Kanaplex, and focus online. This is the 4th day that I've been currently using Herbtana Microbe Lift, does not seem to be helping much. Can anyone help me?
are you mixing the meds with the frozen food? It is best if the meds are ingested.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping my fingers crossed that you will start to see better results soon.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a freshwater bath on one of the fish and check closely to make sure there aren't flukes involved. These could also be accompanied by bacterial infection. I like to do the bath in a black 5 gallon bucket so they are easier to see.

Have the fish been QT'd? Treated for internal parasites? How long have they been in your tank?

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a freshwater bath on one of the fish and check closely to make sure there aren't flukes involved. These could also be accompanied by bacterial infection. I like to do the bath in a black 5 gallon bucket so they are easier to see.

Have the fish been QT'd? Treated for internal parasites? How long have they been in your tank?
About a week, and disappointingly no quarantine. Working on it though.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the freshwater bath to check for flukes and go ahead and treat with General Cure/Focus frozen food mixture (about a table spoon of thawed mysis or other frozen food their eating with 1 scoop of General Cure and 1 scoop of Focus). A few drops of Selcon to increase it's appeal to the fish would be good.

Do you have corals in the tank? What inverts?

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope this help more...
Tang has some milky patches on skin, looks like dry human skin, I'll just say irritated skin,his eyes are also starting to go blurry/ milky.and maybe he has an ich spot or 2.

It seems to me the Goby has a slight red color to his back tail and some damage to his tail. Also the tail looks milky to me. And has white stringy poop.

The clownfish have the stringy poop too and it's white. Also the clear part of the fins are not as clear as they usually are, going to call it milky. And also I just noticed all these things floating in the water towards the end of clownfish video. Going to guess a copepod outbreak?

Please let me know your thoughts. It is very appreciated.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll try a few bath to check for flukes. I'll have focus tomorrow as well as Kanaplex and Metroplex. I have just ordered some welcome aswell, says I'll get it Tuesday. I'd like to substitute general cure for one of the plex's.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the freshwater bath to check for flukes and go ahead and treat with General Cure/Focus frozen food mixture (about a table spoon of thawed mysis or other frozen food their eating with 1 scoop of General Cure and 1 scoop of Focus). A few drops of Selcon to increase it's appeal to the fish would be good.

Do you have corals in the tank? What inverts?
No corals, except Coraline algae if that counts, I have 1 Yellow coral banded shrimp, 10 cerith Snails, and copepods.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
On goby and tang, im not seeing much of anything. The clowns however who are moving quickly in video appear to have a haze on them which generally suggests Brooklynella but hard to confirm with their rapid movement.
Swimming into the current seems to be a trait of clownfish but also associated with velvet. If it were velvet, these fish would likely be shutting down as velvet works quickly when untreated.
As a cleanser, you can use ruby rally reef which treats an array of symptoms/issues .
I would test at least: ammonia-nitrate-ph- verify both temperature and salinity to assure water quality is good and adequate oxygen is furnished.
Signs are velvet which I doubt is present are:
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.

Lets get @Jay Hemdal to chime in and see if he sees something I dont

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On goby and tang, im not seeing much of anything. The clowns however who are moving quickly in video appear to have a haze on them which generally suggests Brooklynella but hard to confirm with their rapid movement.
Swimming into the current seems to be a trait of clownfish but also associated with velvet. If it were velvet, these fish would likely be shutting down as velvet works quickly when untreated.
As a cleanser, you can use ruby rally reef which treats an array of symptoms/issues .
I would test at least: ammonia-nitrate-ph- verify both temperature and salinity to assure water quality is good and adequate oxygen is furnished.
Signs are velvet which I doubt is present are:
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.

Lets get @Jay Hemdal to chime in and see if he sees something I dont
Ok yeah I doubt it's velvet too. The tang has a light haze on it's eyes. And the clear part of the fins are more like a cloudy look to them. The clowns look like they have been dipped into a chemical, like kinda brooklynella skin like. The goby has a slight cloudyness to eyes and the back fin has a slight redness and is also cloudy. I'm thinking it is brooklynella or a bacterial infection. I am currently using Herbtana Microbe Lift. But I bought Metroplex, Kanaplex, focus, and prazipro. I am almost out of herbtana. Should I continue with the herbtana or switch to one of the other meds I have described? I wish I had ruby rally reef but I don't. And I have given all the fish a fw dip last night after the video's. It is day 5 with herbtana.
16285208897205062968049754921105.jpg
I don't see brooklynella on there, ****. I need to switch. Probably to Metroplex?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok yeah I doubt it's velvet too. The tang has a light haze on it's eyes. And the clear part of the fins are more like a cloudy look to them. The clowns look like they have been dipped into a chemical, like kinda brooklynella skin like. The goby has a slight cloudyness to eyes and the back fin has a slight redness and is also cloudy. I'm thinking it is brooklynella or a bacterial infection. I am currently using Herbtana Microbe Lift. But I bought Metroplex, Kanaplex, focus, and prazipro. I am almost out of herbtana. Should I continue with the herbtana or switch to one of the other meds I have described? I wish I had ruby rally reef but I don't. And I have given all the fish a fw dip last night after the video's. It is day 5 with herbtana.
16285208897205062968049754921105.jpg
I don't see brooklynella on there, ****. I need to switch. Probably to Metroplex?
Herbtana is a tonic and not medication and will likely not help much. Your description suggests bacterial issue

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...Incase anyone else wants to help :)
Sometimes, a definitive diagnosis isn't possible remotely, and sometimes, not even in person.

Skip the herbtana, it is just a herbal tonic. Mixing medication with focus and feeding it to your fish also won’t work unless you calculate the dose properly (see the two files on medicated foods at the top of this section).

Based on the few clues I can see in the pictures, I’d say the fish could have flukes. The freshwater dips mentioned will buy you some time, but only one species, Neobenedenia, is large enough to be seen without a microscope in the dip water.

I think you should consider treating the tank with Prazipro, 2x a week apart. Add extra aeration, and run your skimmer, but with no cup.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back