OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that isn't true. The solvent in Prazipro is attacked by heterotrophic bacteria, and they bloom when it is present. This can cause a drop in the oxygen levels in a tank. You need to increase aeration during any prazipro treatment. Kanaplex kills bacteria. It sometimes harms your beneficial bacteria. You need to monitor you ammonia levels while dosing it.

Jay

Ok so here are my options I'm thinking of...

1. Dose Kanaplex now and then dose my 2nd treatment of prazipro in about 4 or 5 days? Mind you carbon has been ran today, so likely the rest of prazipro has been pulled out. I have a new Seachem Ammonia badge aswell.

2. Or should I dose some more prazipro now, or in a few days. Not sure of the life cycle of a fluke, but guessing it takes 10 days to hatch and prazipro is active for about 72hrs. So maybe on the 9th day I should dose prazipro again?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just removed the carbon. I might put a dose of prazipro in now bc I removed it with carbon. And then do another dose in 5 more days, because I read that the eggs hatch in 4 days. After those 5 more days I'll probably do a 30 - 40% water change do get most of what's left out. And then put one more dose in, so 3 in total. (Already did 1, and about to do one now, and then one in 5 days after the wc.) I'm guessing flukes have different hatch rates. But idk what kind of flukes I have.

Update: put another prazi dose in. It's actually the 4th day today. Will do another in 5 days.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just removed the carbon. I might put a dose of prazipro in now bc I removed it with carbon. And then do another dose in 5 more days, because I read that the eggs hatch in 4 days. After those 5 more days I'll probably do a 30 - 40% water change do get most of what's left out. And then put one more dose in, so 3 in total. (Already did 1, and about to do one now, and then one in 5 days after the wc.) I'm guessing flukes have different hatch rates. But idk what kind of flukes I have.

Update: put another prazi dose in. It's actually the 4th day today. Will do another in 5 days.
I usually dose prazi on a 7 to 10 day cycle in order to try and catch hatching eggs. Prazi does not remain active for long.
I also do not trust ammonia badges....
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I read it stays active for about 48hrs and is "out of the water" at 72 hrs.
It's more complicated than that - with each dose, bacteria grows which consume prazi as a food source. They get better at this with each dose. I've had systems where the prazi is "eaten" within hours of being added, requiring double dosing, and then that just fuels more bacteria to grow. This is the root cause behind "prazi resistant" flukes that you hear about - the flukes aren't resistant, the bacteria is just eating it too fast.

You are gnerally not going to see this in a tank that has only been dosed 2 or 3 times with prazi though.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more complicated than that - with each dose, bacteria grows which consume prazi as a food source. They get better at this with each dose. I've had systems where the prazi is "eaten" within hours of being added, requiring double dosing, and then that just fuels more bacteria to grow. This is the root cause behind "prazi resistant" flukes that you hear about - the flukes aren't resistant, the bacteria is just eating it too fast.

You are gnerally not going to see this in a tank that has only been dosed 2 or 3 times with prazi though.

Jay
What about prazi and Kanaplex together?
(Praziquantel and kanamycin)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about prazi and Kanaplex together?
I try not to mix medications, but I don't know of any contraindication between these two, as long as you monitor the ammonia and provide good aearation.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal update just put in 3rd dose of prazipro...
Do any of these look like flukes?

IMG_20210820_155131707_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210818_155938479_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210818_120957869_BURST026.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any flukes. Again, look for movement! The only thing I see that is curious is the last slide, it isn't a fluke, but I can't tell you what it is.

Here is an example of a Gyrodactylus fluke:
GYRODACTYLID FROM A GUPPY.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any flukes. Again, look for movement! The only thing I see that is curious is the last slide, it isn't a fluke, but I can't tell you what it is.

Here is an example of a Gyrodactylus fluke:
GYRODACTYLID FROM A GUPPY.jpg
Ok good know, so what is the thing in the last slide? Oops I re read it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back