Mimic Tang care. What is the actual minimum sized tank?

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these tangs (Mimic/Chocolate tang). I've gotten multiple different answers on whether I can keep one in my 90g reef. Some say a minimum size of 125g, others 90 and there were even a few 75g. I already feed nori strips to my one spot foxface as well as algae pellets and Mysis and brine mixed in with garlic, its a very open aquascape, with a large shelf in the centre and caves all around. There is heaps of swimming room above the rockwork as well, with strong flow. I feel like from my research that I could house one for a few years, and if he outgrows my tank, I have a mate with a 125g who would love one. Any thoughts and tips would be great!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these tangs (Mimic/Chocolate tang). I've gotten multiple different answers on whether I can keep one in my 90g reef. Some say a minimum size of 125g, others 90 and there were even a few 75g. I already feed nori strips to my one spot foxface as well as algae pellets and Mysis and brine mixed in with garlic, its a very open aquascape, with a large shelf in the centre and caves all around. There is heaps of swimming room above the rockwork as well, with strong flow. I feel like from my research that I could house one for a few years, and if he outgrows my tank, I have a mate with a 125g who would love one. Any thoughts and tips would be great!
It’s all about swimming space, not tank volume (although those are indirectly related). Personally, I would not have a problem with a fish like that in a 125. Your 90, is it a tall, with the same footprint as a 75? If so, that fish would be borderline. It won’t suffer physical issues, just would be “happier” with more space.
Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one in a 90g for a few years and gave him to a mate with a larger tank. He was originally slated for a 125g but aggression towards him prompted me to move him into my 90g. Ime he was better suited for a 6ft tank

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all about swimming space, not tank volume (although those are indirectly related). Personally, I would not have a problem with a fish like that in a 125. Your 90, is it a tall, with the same footprint as a 75? If so, that fish would be borderline. It won’t suffer physical issues, just would be “happier” with more space.
Jay
Yes, it is extra tall and wide as well. it is 3ft L by 2ft W by 2.2 ft H, rather than 4ft by 1.5 ft by 2ft
I know some people say don't keep a tang in anything less then a 4ft but I think with the extra width and depth it can be done. Thoughts?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'd recommend a tomini or kole instead

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my LFS has a really nice yellow eye kole in at the moment . I'm going to see if he's still avabile.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is extra tall and wide as well. it is 3ft L by 2ft W by 2.2 ft H, rather than 4ft by 1.5 ft by 2ft
I know some people say don't keep a tang in anything less then a 4ft but I think with the extra width and depth it can be done. Thoughts?
@Zionas is correct, lateral swimming space is what is really important, tangs don't utilize vertical space very well. Years ago, I had developed a swimming space calculator, it took into account open water length and width, but not depth. I'll have to see if I can get that posted here....

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a dwarf angel over any tang for a 3x2 tank. There are lots of beautiful options there, including the ones that the mimic tangs 'mimic.'

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few angels before and they nipped at Coral. I've tried a lemon peel and bicolour. Any others that have less of a chance if nipping?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few angels before and they nipped at Coral. I've tried a lemon peel and bicolour. Any others that have less of a chance if nipping?
Yes, lemon peel is probably the most notorious dwarf for nipping corals. I’d say any other dwarf is safer, I have a flameback, Pygmy, and multicolor and they’ve never touched corals

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zionas is correct, lateral swimming space is what is really important, tangs don't utilize vertical space very well. Years ago, I had developed a swimming space calculator, it took into account open water length and width, but not depth. I'll have to see if I can get that posted here....

Jay
I'll be posting my swimming space article later today, but I extracted the formula I use for active swimming species:

Here is the basic formula for calculating the swimming space needs for active swimming species (tangs, wrasses, fusiliers, etc.)

Look up the maximum adult size of the species at www.fishbase.org Multiple that number by 0.80 This is the expected maximum size for this fish to reach in a home aquarium. Call this variable A

Measure the open water space of your display tank’s length and width and add them together. Depth isn’t important, and areas filled with corals and rock must not be measured. This is variable B

Create a ratio with those two numbers. B divided by A. If this value is less than 8, you really should not keep this fish in that aquarium as it reaches its full adult size. If the number is greater than 10, this fish will likely be comfortable in this aquarium for its life span.

Jay

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2EAD7BCD-C131-45A6-A44C-FC4DB88487E2.jpeg

I have a little babes in my 90 he’s very happy very healthy, best friends w my sleeper goby, and makes a three amigos w my smiths blend. I say do it!

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news, I went to my LFS and the Kole had been sold. I'll do more research and try Jay's formula and see what else works!

Premium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be posting my swimming space article later today, but I extracted the formula I use for active swimming species:

Here is the basic formula for calculating the swimming space needs for active swimming species (tangs, wrasses, fusiliers, etc.)

Look up the maximum adult size of the species at www.fishbase.org Multiple that number by 0.80 This is the expected maximum size for this fish to reach in a home aquarium. Call this variable A

Measure the open water space of your display tank’s length and width and add them together. Depth isn’t important, and areas filled with corals and rock must not be measured. This is variable B

Create a ratio with those two numbers. B divided by A. If this value is less than 8, you really should not keep this fish in that aquarium as it reaches its full adult size. If the number is greater than 10, this fish will likely be comfortable in this aquarium for its life span.

Jay
Jay interesting formula. Came across this old Thread while researching Mimic Tang for my system. I have an IM 100 Gallon set up acording to the math he should be fine. However I have some additional questions. Dose this Math apply to all Tangs? I love having a definitive formula because all the sites give specific gallon requirements However when you come to the forum's it's all about swim space which makes more sense. Just trying to educate myself. Also where did this formula come from? Thx

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay interesting formula. Came across this old Thread while researching Mimic Tang for my system. I have an IM 100 Gallon set up acording to the math he should be fine. However I have some additional questions. Dose this Math apply to all Tangs? I love having a definitive formula because all the sites give specific gallon requirements However when you come to the forum's it's all about swim space which makes more sense. Just trying to educate myself. Also where did this formula come from? Thx
First, there always seems to be concern about swimming space for tangs, but not other active fish like parrotfish. Not all tangs need as much space as others: mimics and hepatus need less room than unicorn fish.
As mentioned in the article, tank volume is not the metric that needs to be used, swimming length is the variable that matters. One problem I ran into early on was that many aquarists pack their tanks with live rock and coral, where most of my public aquarium exhibits did not. So- their “100 gallon tank” had only a small percentage of open space that mine did.

The formula was worked out using public aquarium exhibits from clownfish up to whale sharks. It is a bit subjective, and does trend to the small size as the goal is learning what the minimum sized tank is.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back