Mind Set on A Red Sea Reefer 3X900 Pro's & Cons

Hulkwithin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my mind set on a Red Sea Reefer 3x900. I just want to know who out there has one? Can you give me any suggestions, recommendations does or nots. I plan to get the one without the lights. I don't want to skimp on quality of all other accessories as I am going to use a dedicated closet for most of my equipment. I was in tho hobby years ago and decided to come back. This will be a huge jump for me. I am willing to put in the time and patients not to mention dollars.. lol I'm making this a mixed reef setup.

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning one as well, same scenario been out of the game for over a decade and an AIO has a ton of appeal. I also am passing on the reef led 90's recommended in lieu of either Radion if led or Infiniti metal halide t5 combo. Red sea drop ships the crate direct, so all I can recommend is a squad of dudes to help schlep that bad boy!!!

OP
OP
Hulkwithin

Hulkwithin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course. What I can say 1st is that I am going to setup a mixing station 1st with a RODI setup. I want to automate it as much as possible. In my opinion Quality fresh water and water changes are key to this hobby and the most important step. So before I put any live stock in I will have a smooth running auto top off. I'm going to try to do this with all the bells and whistles.

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my return pump today. I'm getting excited! Progress man!! The next for me like you, RODI. I have a plan, it may change but at least its a shot at it. I have extenuating circumstances keeping my tank from even being ordered(3-5 days!!) I expected 3-5 months from time of order. I need to switch out my flooring where the tank goes. After that though my LFS has me lined up for success. Can't enough be said for having solid face to face advice, support, professional recommendation and most of all, voice of reason

OP
OP
Hulkwithin

Hulkwithin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool let me know how it works out for you. As for me I'm fixing to drop a drain line and water connection to do all my Water changes and top offs. Trying to do as much automation and redundancy as possible. Still have not decided to go with BRS 7 stage RODI or Spectrapure 1-1 100 GPD . As I am going to be having 2 75 gallon containers for my mixing station. Hmmm?

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to get 2 vertical 65 gallon and the 7 stage, may be overkill but I have no way to check my tds and it also is very efficient (the 150 gpd) to minimize waste water. Still waffling on the lighting and to apex or not. Lol, i really want to set it up right the first time and keep consistency. Also may keep a brute for emergencies lol. As far as ATO, I'm going with the osmolator. The DOS can pump water a fair distance so auto water changes may get pumped either down a sink or i have a drain in my hot water heater closet i can run it to. Having said that, the apex is looking good as an option atm

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a RSR250 a few weeks ago for our new home. Long over due upgrade. However, the upgrade itself wasn't an impulse but there are a couple of things I would have done differently before I pulled the trigger. I got the 250 because I grossly underestimated the size of the area I was putting the tank. It can afford a much larger tank. Additionally, I didn't want to think too much and wanted a no brainer so I opted for the deluxe with the lighting. Diving a bit deeper waiting for the tank, I would have much preferred to order the tank and two XR15 blues in lieu of the ReefLED90's.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the RedSea tanks are high quality - I enjoy mine - its not the new (I assume you mean the 3XL 900 ) - but I love mine

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a RSR250 a few weeks ago for our new home. Long over due upgrade. However, the upgrade itself wasn't an impulse but there are a couple of things I would have done differently before I pulled the trigger. I got the 250 because I grossly underestimated the size of the area I was putting the tank. It can afford a much larger tank. Additionally, I didn't want to think too much and wanted a no brainer so I opted for the deluxe with the lighting. Diving a bit deeper waiting for the tank, I would have much preferred to order the tank and two XR15 blues in lieu of the ReefLED90's.

If i might ask, why are you regretting the LED 90's?

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i might ask, why are you regretting the LED 90's?
The XR15B has some of the best color spectrum in the industry. They are proven and are a really high quality lamp. The red sea spectrum is a much more narrow spectrum different than anything on the market. Not so sure how it will perform compared to the Radions

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The XR15B has some of the best color spectrum in the industry. They are proven and are a really high quality lamp. The red sea spectrum is a much more narrow spectrum different than anything on the market. Not so sure how it will perform compared to the Radions

The led 90's do look nice on a tank however! According to BRS best in class par output, does lack yellow/orange spectrum that would make some corals pop a bit. The thing I like about the led 90s is the 24hr lighting cycles, the variance in moon cycles leads to breeding in many species of fish and corals...the radion is SO controllable. I've seen xr30 above frag tanks at an lfs and man they looked great!! The lighting aspect is where I'm stuck, had my finger on the trigger for ordering a spectra 72" direct from giesemann...would sacrifice 24hr lighting for proven track record of growth with metal halide and flexibility with the t5s, but man its even more than going 4 xr30's when you add ballasts and stuff.
Radions may be the ticket, but I'm weighing the pros and cons if save 975 that I could put towards live rock or livestock or other gear by going 5 led 90s

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 3xl 900. It’s been up and running (still cycling) for a week now. Transferring from a Redsea Peninsula 650. Added additional G5 Pro’s and a larger return pump. Love the tank, it’s a big tank for a company that manufactures them on a large scale (i.e. not a custom build). Looking forward to getting everything transferred over soon.

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 3xl 900. It’s been up and running (still cycling) for a week now. Transferring from a Redsea Peninsula 650. Added additional G5 Pro’s and a larger return pump. Love the tank, it’s a big tank for a company that manufactures them on a large scale (i.e. not a custom build). Looking forward to getting everything transferred over soon.

How many radions you have over it? I have 4 pros and wonder if that'll do the trick

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back