OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move in time is finally here! Got lots to do but I am going to try my best to get the tank ordered this weekend from my LFS Pettopia, it used to be Fishtopia back in the day. The owner said he can get the tank delivered to my house within a week! So that will be shweet!
3b3dbb695c32cdb3673c0d3e273eb154.jpg

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 in the books. Don’t let anyone tell you these tanks are easy to lift and carry. In the crate with everything in it, it took 4 strong guys to lift it from the ground into the bed of my truck. I had no idea how heavy it would be and I was blown away when I couldn’t get one side off the ground when I tried to lift it by myself but it all worked out in the end at least for now
44d6c792eafbe8cf5a19e182c107d1e4.jpg

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some stuff done the last two days. I still have tomorrow to work on it for a few hours. I still have a long ways to go and I am trying to take my time with everything. I tried ordering everything thing I would need beforehand and have done pretty good so far. I only needed to order another ball valve and a metric to standard adapter. Hopefully it works. I didn’t realize the xxl reefers do not have a place directly under the tank on the return side to thread in a 3/4” pipe adapter with extra Teflon tape. They instead have a pieces that 90s out and 90s down then has a threaded adapter but it won’t work for my set up. I also had to order another light hanging kit! One of the catches broke when I tried raising the light. The bearings inside fell out and the light slowly began to fall [emoji15] I had some boards close enough to put under it before it was to late but that is probably my biggest fear right now is having it fall in the tank one day when the water is in
0ab4fe9b0634b18ea311c2f40a0fa345.jpg

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo 25mm pvc is not what they use, it must be 32mm. I’m just gonna order the threaded adapter everyone gets. If you know who i can contact please share
92c61f7b26bc5b5ccf4f3a825cb992cc.jpg

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ffe0129262182deb888f588f6b450a45.jpg
b437be065d2b0af2385514d6bc44cc37.jpg
a33cf2d96f07228a5731a54f84778dda.jpg

Slowly but surely, I won’t be working on it over the weekend :( I’m going to the lake with the family so I’m really not too mad but I ordered the part I need for the return line from marine and reef online. So no need to rush things until that gets here. I do have a question for anyone that’s out there watching. Do you recommend marine pure media in the sump? I have had one of the big plates curing with my live rock but now I’m freaking out a little about the aluminum leaching everyone keeps talking about. Any thoughts on what I should do?

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress looks great!

As for the MarinePure - I had the same freak out when I set my 250 up. I had ordered MarinePure balls, then saw all the aluminum scare and returned them. I went with Maxspect Bio-spheres (they also make plates/etc).

After that I did some talking with my LFS owner about it. He has a client (eye doctor) who's VERY meticulous with his tanks and he had been using MarinePure for a while and saw the Aluminum scare so he had some ICP tests and other advanced metal testing done and didn't find anything worrisome. (Not that this is 100% proof...)

All in all I think that far too many people use MarinePure products for there to be any real issue with them. If there were, we'd have horror stories and/or more problem threads popping up about them.

That's just my 2 cents, I think I'd roll on with the block you've already had curing. If you wanted to add more and were worried, you could go for an alternative product then.

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress looks great!

As for the MarinePure - I had the same freak out when I set my 250 up. I had ordered MarinePure balls, then saw all the aluminum scare and returned them. I went with Maxspect Bio-spheres (they also make plates/etc).

After that I did some talking with my LFS owner about it. He has a client (eye doctor) who's VERY meticulous with his tanks and he had been using MarinePure for a while and saw the Aluminum scare so he had some ICP tests and other advanced metal testing done and didn't find anything worrisome. (Not that this is 100% proof...)

All in all I think that far too many people use MarinePure products for there to be any real issue with them. If there were, we'd have horror stories and/or more problem threads popping up about them.

That's just my 2 cents, I think I'd roll on with the block you've already had curing. If you wanted to add more and were worried, you could go for an alternative product then.

I think I will end up using it but I’m going to do an ICP test of the water in the curing barrel first. I have a test that I got last year so I may as well use it and I’ll post the results on here

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Formula 1 engine installed and ready to gooo. I am feeling pretty cheeky. What do you guys think!?

Enjoying your build thread. What is the tall cylinder to the right of the skimmer pump? (Go easy on me I'm just getting started in this)

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoying your build thread. What is the tall cylinder to the right of the skimmer pump? (Go easy on me I'm just getting started in this)

That is an Avast Marine media reactor, so I can run carbon periodically. I have another set up in case I need to run gfo or another media

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the whole room is coming out excellent. The sump looks FAT.

Thank you! It definitely feels good to see it all coming together since I started buying stuff for this build for a couple years now. Just need to organize the controllers and wires and I can finally give my checkbook a rest! At least for a few months during the cycle, thank goodness.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress looks great!

I’ve used Marine pure plates in nearly every tank I’ve had in the past 8 years. My current 30 gallon AIO is packed with healthy SPS and is run primarily off marinepure. The filtration compartments are stuffed with it. Likely also the reason why I have to dose nitrates into a 30 gallon tank with 10 fish!

Back