MindStream Monitor - Now for Sale. Worth It?

mowens3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that mindstream is using the Zigbee protocol is enough for me to wait until the next release. I already use z-wave2 protocol for home automation around my house. You get interference when mixing Zigbee and Z-wave2 because the protocols don't match. In my opinion they should have upgraded this protocol rather than release with outdated technology that was obsolete on launch.

Additionally they haven't made any promises about the API, so the only automation I can do is based on email rather than a direct request.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you enjoy manual testing then this product is not for you. Myself, I don't enjoy testing. It is a chore such as cleaning the skimmer or lugging water around. I won't spend $1k plus on this product because I don't test weekly or even monthly. This product is for someone to test frequently but rather use their time for something that bring more values to them.
Agreed... I don't like to test so I don't as much as I feel like I should. I guess my coral growth results reflect my efforts. ;)

That said - I do travel monthly for days at a time for work so having all these parameters monitored at a high frequency will make me feel more comfortable that noting is about to blow-up while I'm away. You can only tell so much from a webcams.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that mindstream is using the Zigbee protocol is enough for me to wait until the next release. I already use z-wave2 protocol for home automation around my house. You get interference when mixing Zigbee and Z-wave2 because the protocols don't match. In my opinion they should have upgraded this protocol rather than release with outdated technology that was obsolete on launch.

Additionally they haven't made any promises about the API, so the only automation I can do is based on email rather than a direct request.
Interesting post... The website claims it uses both Bluetooth and Zigbee. I wonder if you can choose and turn off the other one? I'm guessing it only using this protocol to communicate between the tank side and dry side so I don't see why either would not work given the lack of distance.

• Wireless controller capability is already built-in with the latest IoT protocols such as Bluetooth and Zigbee

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I asked support the question about exporting data. At launch, they will not have the ability but are looking to add this. I realize this might not be through an API, but at least they are considering it.

1. At this time we do not have the ability to export data. We have heard this feedback before and will look to add this feature in the future.

mowens3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that statement and couldn't find more information supporting those features. I assume the device broadcasts a Zigbee wifi signal. This can connect to a smarthub or other zigbee devices around the house. This could send/receive data or commands potentially.

It sounds like it has Zigbee and standard wifi hardware (or does it depend on Zigbee to connect?). It could be for future integrations with controllers. Maybe you're right and it can be disabled. That sounds better than having it broadcast like this.

The last thing I really want is a zigbee product on my smarthub, when I've replaced everything in my house to be z-wave plus.

Last edited:

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really thinking of pulling the trigger on this, every reason is telling me YESSS. Don’t want to invest in Neptunes anymore. Love it’s a stand-alone product.
Agreed... I've lost my Apex head unit a couple of years ago and it crippled my tank. I redesigned the system so the Apex mostly monitors the tank and I have subsystems for each task that will work with or without the Apex. I feel like having the MindStream run independently of the Apex is a better option for me so I have more monitoring redundancy on my system. I have been watching MindStream and Apex for years now, and when I could get the Trident (and still can't) I decided to preorder the MindStream. If I don't like what I see from the beta tester who should be released from their NDA soon, I'll cancel my order. It's not like any of the three online retailers have emailed me telling me we have a Trident for you. ;)

mowens3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read up on the current Zigbee integration and they say it will be used for future devices like dosers, lights, and other IoT aquarium equipment. It seems like alot of people do run Zigbee and Z-wave together, but you have to be careful with interference. If you are using an apex neptune wirelessly, you may get additional interference near the mindstream. Might want to switch channels if it is broadcasting. This article describes how it interacts with your Wifi in more detail:

Last edited:

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read up on the current Zigbee integration and they say it will be used for future devices like dosers, lights, and other IoT aquarium equipment. It seems like alot of people do run Zigbee and Z-wave together, but you have to be careful with interference. If you are using an apex neptune wirelessly, you may get additional interference near the mindstream. Might want to switch channels if it is broadcasting. This article describes how it interacts with your Wifi in more detail:

Thanks for sharing... I had my Apex on WiFi for a while with no issue but switched it when I started having issues with my ReefLik not communicating with some of my pumps. I eventually had to change the channel (twice) on the reeflink due to interference with one of my neighbor's APs. It will be interesting to see if the MindStream gives me in grief, and how configurable it is to avoid interference by selecting different channels.

Fishfishfishfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good god how does a company go to market with a $1k price tag AND a $35/month subscription and not see that as profoundly limiting their user base? I'll drop $1k on a valuable piece of equipment (most of us have spent that on lights alone). But to then ask me to pay more than my Netflix, Hulu, and maybe some video game subscription combined for something that just tells me when something is wrong... I can look at my coral and tell you when something is wrong.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good god how does a company go to market with a $1k price tag AND a $35/month subscription and not see that as profoundly limiting their user base? I'll drop $1k on a valuable piece of equipment (most of us have spent that on lights alone). But to then ask me to pay more than my Netflix, Hulu, and maybe some video game subscription combined for something that just tells me when something is wrong... I can look at my coral and tell you when something is wrong.

I understand your position, but I don't look at my tank every 15 minutes, So I personally see value in paying a babysitter $35 dollars a month to check and report my parameter 24X7X365. Also, I travel ofter for work, so I can't keep an eye on my tank as well as others who can see their tank every day. The cost is worth it to me for peace of mind, and hopefully, it will catch something before it causes a tank crash. I think knowing about a problem early is 90% of the battle to a crash.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you did not really get Netflix for 20$ a month.. you had to buy the tv to operate it did not you?

mowens3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the other day about the durability of the monitor. Say for some reason your sump overflowed. Since the monitor is magnetized to the side of your sump - wouldn't this instantly fry it? Not that this happens often, but need to be really careful about the high water level wherever you put it.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a few people on the forums have received them, and are posting reviews of them. it looks like they are still on a 6-8 week delivery time if you order one.

Chibeatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping they allow ability to change the times this thing test per day and have a subscription option to not replace the disk every month.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I read that it doesnt test Alk in a traditional sense, but uses some new Alk measurement. Dont remember the specifics, but I am curios if its easy enough to “convert” their Alk measurement into a standard one to adjust dosing etc.

Are they just using co2 and ph measurements to back calcukate the implied alkalinity?

Back