Mindstream Monitor - Tank Data Sharing thread

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
So the only two people that post their results have identically wrong potassium readings?
LOL how do you come to that conclusion? That is an instant snapshot of both tanks. I am pretty sure that in a few hours the numbers will be different. The fact that they are both high mean nothing as it is just a sample of two and is most likely a correct reading. Now if we see lots of people with the same issue then it's possible that there is a problem. I seriously doubt that is the case since MS have done years of testing on the system.

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Re CO2

I love the fact that it caught that on Oldreefers tank. Now he can do things and see how each change improves the readings.

Arrrrr MindStream I cannot wait the 8 weeks, send me one now!! ;Dead

Rob

Last edited:

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
How do you know they're wrong?
I Assume your talking to @Paul Sands?
If so I have no idea. I know that some reef keepers use elevated potassium levels because they say it makes the corals look more vibrant. I have no idea if you guys are running it a bit high for that reason or not. I do think it has exposed a small issue that MS might want to address in a later software update. I am assuming that you have no control over the Min and Max values for alerts and they are set by MS to meet NSW standards? If so they might want to rethink that approach and only use the Min/Max that they have now as defaults but allow the users to change them. Once again I have never seen the menus in the monitoring system so I have no idea if you can do this already, but if you can't it would become annoying real fast if I am getting alerts about parameters that I want to be my norms.

Rob

OLDREEFER44

View Badges
Reaction score
I Assume your talking to @Paul Sands?
If so I have no idea. I know that some reef keepers use elevated potassium levels because they say it makes the corals look more vibrant. I have no idea if you guys are running it a bit high for that reason or not. I do think it has exposed a small issue that MS might want to address in a later software update. I am assuming that you have no control over the Min and Max values for alerts and they are set by MS to meet NSW standards? If so they might want to rethink that approach and only or use theirs use the Min/Max that they have now as defaults but allow the users to change them. Once again I have never seen the menus in the monitoring system so I have no idea if you can do this already, but if you can't it would become annoying real fast if I am getting alerts about parameters that I want to be my norms.

Rob
As has been mentioned in other threads, it is pre-programed with parameters that we adjust as we see fit.

Larry L

View Badges
Reaction score
I do think it has exposed a small issue that MS might want to address in a later software update.
It's possible, but I'd be surprised if there was a systematic problem with the potassium readings. My beta unit always displayed potassium numbers that matched really well to my Salifert tests and to ICP testing. Even to the point where I'd dose with Brightwell Potassion to bring my levels up by e.g. 40 and when I'd go back to look at the graph it would show an increase of 40 right after I dosed.

I am assuming that you have no control over the Min and Max values for alerts and they are set by MS to meet NSW standards?
No, the alarm limits are configurable, as are the graph scaling limits.

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
We? Are you an employee?
unfortunately I think this is an example of why we dont see more info on new products. Come on guys, these folks were nice enough to take the time to share their results, let's not make it difficult on them.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
unfortunately I think this is an example of why we dont see more info on new products. Come on guys, these folks were nice enough to take the time to share their results, let's not make it difficult on them.
I misread it as adjusting settings on the disc, sorry for the confusion. I’m not sure how this makes it difficult on them.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
You can adjust the alarm limits for each parameter, like you can with Triton and Alkatronoc, etc...
It comes preset with suggested limits and I left them as preset for potassium because I had no idea what to expect.

OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much so far!
Really interesting data for me to look at.

I'm not really about the accuracy but more about some data on Reefs concerning O2,Co2 and Ammonia!

Can't wait to get my unit in ;-)

Needless to say that the Co2 can be used to identify if the tank is degassing sufficiently the Co2 which greatly reduces RTN/STN outbreaks. Still looking into this subject what a healthy level in a typical reef tank is!

Oxygen levels are great to look at to fine tune the skimmer. From my DO meter, I used to have trouble if O2 runs below 7.5, with great skimmer maintenance and good aeration my daily peak is around 7.9-8.0, when using a tall skimmer even 8.5 in some circumstances.

Another thing on O2 is, if the Oxygen readings can be read out with consistency in the tank, in theory you will find the point of oversaturation of light in the tank and the light and photoperiod can be adjusted to maximize the benefits of the photoperiod ;-)
Means more vibrant colors and avoidance of light bleaching on most corals.

Ammonia, perfect to see if sufficient Nitrogen is in the tank, along with Nitrate readings and some Po4, you have the main fertilizer for your corals under control !!!

-Andre

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
It's possible, but I'd be surprised if there was a systematic problem with the potassium readings. My beta unit always displayed potassium numbers that matched really well to my Salifert tests and to ICP testing. Even to the point where I'd dose with Brightwell Potassion to bring my levels up by e.g. 40 and when I'd go back to look at the graph it would show an increase of 40 right after I dosed.
Thanks for sharing. Does this mean that you are released from your NDA? If so, I'd love to hear more about your experience with the device.

robbyg

View Badges
Reaction score
I think one of the Beta testers said they had been released from the NDA. It would sound really hard to make and NDA that said no talking even after we release all the info on the product to the public.

The problem might be something I have seen before. Beta Testers are often not the guys who like to go on forums and Yack about a product they tested. For them the magic wore off months ago.

Rob

doggydoc10

View Badges
Reaction score
Here are my results and observations. I am just going to post screenshot of today’s levels. Been dealing with a lot of issues with MS. See my other post. But I stop posting because I got tired of people back and forth arguing about my testing etc etc etc.
My current issue is that my alkalinity is wayyy off compared to GHL Director, Salifert and Fauna Marin manual testing l. Also my salinity is very low esp when I compare to my GHL probes (x 2) and manual Salinity pen calibrated PER Co Standards. I also have ATI testing to verify!

1568483701616.png

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Here are my results and observations. I am just going to post screenshot of today’s levels. Been dealing with a lot of issues with MS. See my other post. But I stop posting because I got tired of people back and forth arguing about my testing etc etc etc.
My current issue is that my alkalinity is wayyy off compared to GHL Director, Salifert and Fauna Marin manual testing l. Also my salinity is very low esp when I compare to my GHL probes (x 2) and manual Salinity pen calibrated PER Co Standards. I also have ATI testing to verify!

1568483701616.png
Is your alk high or low relative to the other tests?

doggydoc10

View Badges
Reaction score

1568483701616.png
ED96C2C8-D895-46F9-92DA-256C6618DC91.png

Have you ever been accused of talking to much about your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 190 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 166 46.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Industrial Test Systems, Inc.