Mini cycle causes

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. An initial cycle as I understand it is getting growth of the 2 types of bacteria that can take ammonia and process it into nitrate. Once these bacteria are everywhere your good right?

B. But what causes a mini cycle? Would putting in a new piece of dead rock cause this? But in this case you already have the population and will will quickly inhabit the new rock. AND IF THERES NO DEAD ORGANIC MATTER then there wont be ammonia at all right? the bacteria established in the original cycle will just populate the rock.

C. Or is the definiton of a minicycle anything that causes an ammonia spike?

D. How is it defined, and what are a list of things that could cause one?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. Once these bacteria are everywhere your good right? Yes , when the population is large enough to do it quickly you are good.

B. If any dead material or dead critter starts to break down it will cause more ammonia than the tank is used to processing. Then you will get a mini cycle. If its clean dry mined rock, then no mini cycle

C. Yes

D. Here are a few. Dead critters or fish in the tank. Something that kills the bacteria in the tank. Removal of rock or sand that holds the bacteria. New fish that cause more ammonia. Feeding more than normal. Adding rock that has dead material on it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back