Mini worm problems

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had plenty worms in my tanks and it's normally pretty easy to catch the problems... but I have hundred of these and I used my trap last night and not a single one went for it. Yet when I feed they all come out even wall across the sand. Any ideas and what to do? They are definitely messing with my hammer.
20211017_182316.jpg
20211017_182324.jpg

This is how I normally catch them, but not a single one went for it.
20211017_205135.jpg

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you put in as bait?

I had luck in the past with propping up a glass Coke bottle and putting a piece of shrimp in the bottom.

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have to ask. I always thought these worms were not a problem. I have heaps in my tank and have never worried about them. Any particular reason you are? I'm suddenly worried thinking maybe I have to start going worm hunting!

Fergus

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use the normal fish food. I've only had problems a couple times. Once I got a few that were so large, they started picking off snails. but I just switched tanks to a temporary tank and I watched like 30 of them go into the hammer coral, which is now barely opening.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They look like common bristleworms. They are scavengers and not known to target living/healthy animals. I would suspect something is amiss in the tank that is driving high populations of worms and snails/coral decline. Do you have your parameters (alk, calcium, salinity, lighting..). How old is the tank? The sand looks really clean.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try make little diy trap like this .worked for guy here .I know his bigger worms but maybe will work.
Only other ways would be coral banded shrimp or arrow crab or a wrasse that eats them.
I'm thinking 6 line wrasse but don't quote me on that

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is new, but parameters are the same as the old one side from I dropped this tank to 80degrees and old one was 82(I know its high, It's what got me through a horrible dino problem) I test them daily still, it's always crazy low nutrients yet high Calc and alk. The new light is **** compared to the old one, but they are also much closer to the light(softies should have no problem). 50% of Live rock was pulled from the other tank, but the sand was not, nor the chaeto farm. I got some of those high surface area rock balls to make up for the missing live rock and did a turbo start to make sure the balls started rolling(haha unintentional pun). My only questioning factor is less food around for them. Any ideas? I had to put this tank together to save my fish due to evacuating my house.

Back