Minimalist Aqua scaping and fish Stress

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok people this could be interesting conversation.

I made the aqua scape of my tank with bot my likes and my fish in mind (crappy picture I know). I like it a lot... my fish seem to love to move around about and through it (dragon wrasse, seems to prefer to dismantle it...lol). There are about 16 animals in my tank and there are days when I only get a few minutes to see one because they are hanging out in a cave for some reason. But when it comes to night time you would not think I had any fish in this tank. I have 5 inch domino damsels that disappears for several minutes while it naps then wakes up swims about then disappears again.

The question is does minimalist aqua scapes have a negative effect on fish behavior and does it increase the stress on the fish?

Tank 1hr.jpg

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and what kind of fish do you have currently?

16 fish seems like a lot in that size of a tank from judging from the pictures.

Damsels are very territorial and will most likely kill off your other fish given time

I would say that the amount of fish in that size of a tank is causing the stress and not the aquascape

OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and what kind of fish do you have currently?

16 fish seems like a lot in that size of a tank from judging from the pictures.

Damsels are very territorial and will most likely kill off your other fish given time

I would say that the amount of fish in that size of a tank is causing the stress and not the aquascape

not really my dear sir... if you read I was not asking about my fish. my fish are happy and are not fighting at all. most of the fish are babies and all are destine for a tank upgrade (200 gallon) next year. I have a 150 I am setting up for a reef tank.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pose a valid question if not a new one. The general consensus (as I read it around here) is that fish really need to have "safe spaces" to retreat to. There needs to be enough safe spaces for everyone. Well OK, my Powder Blue Boss Tang feels safe anywhere, any time. But the rest need a cave.

My DT was filled with 100+ lbs of rock and a 4 gallons of of coral. When it all got overgrown and restricted flow to the center 1/3 of the tank, I decided to bust things up and go a bit more minimal. Meant I was restarting with (expensive) frags versus inexpensive mass colonies. And only 70 lbs of rock.

Suddenly my peaceful community of fish turned very hostile and all the previous civility disappeared. And my fish started disappearing as well, losing a fish every month or two.

Maybe it is a metaphor for how we tend to behave when we don't feel safe.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really my dear sir... if you read I was not asking about my fish. my fish are happy and are not fighting at all. most of the fish are babies and all are destine for a tank upgrade (200 gallon) next year. I have a 150 I am setting up for a reef tank.

Well, your explanation for your question leads to people asking about your fish. Your phrasing heavily implies you're having issue with your fish acting strangely or stressed. People are asking about your tank size and number of fish because those factors will have a much larger impact on stress levels than your current rockwork. A few things, have you checked your water quality? It's really tinted, that can be a contributing factor. Also, I might be off but tanks looks like maybe a 40B? That's kind of small for a large number of fish, especially if you have larger ones like that damsel, it could be stressing smaller fish out.

OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, your explanation for your question leads to people asking about your fish. Your phrasing heavily implies you're having issue with your fish acting strangely or stressed. People are asking about your tank size and number of fish because those factors will have a much larger impact on stress levels than your current rockwork. A few things, have you checked your water quality? It's really tinted, that can be a contributing factor. Also, I might be off but tanks looks like maybe a 40B? That's kind of small for a large number of fish, especially if you have larger ones like that damsel, it could be stressing smaller fish out.
Why is the water green? Or green tinted looking?
key part crappy picture...was really trying to take a great picture. you are seeing the SULFUR in the glass because of the angle picture was taken.

OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir it does not imply that I am have an issue... I STATE THAT MY FISH ARE LOVING THE TANK "my fish seem to love to move around about and through it". BUT hey that really means nothing to me. I was asking a question about aqua scaping and fish behavior/stress. If you wish to add something please do.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minimalist aquascape is fine as long as there are plenty of hiding places for fish to sleep during night. Fish will get stressed if there aren't enough hiding places in rocks during lights out, where in the coral reef they'd need to hide from predators. Hope that helps to answer your question.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
key part crappy picture...was really trying to take a great picture. you are seeing the SULFUR in the glass because of the angle picture was taken.
Glass gets a green tint when viewed THROUGH THE EDGE (not face on) due to Iron, not Sulfer. Just FYI

You may want to try running some carbon to help With your waters tint.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir it does not imply that I am have an issue... I STATE THAT MY FISH ARE LOVING THE TANK "my fish seem to love to move around about and through it". BUT hey that really means nothing to me. I was asking a question about aqua scaping and fish behavior/stress. If you wish to add something please do.
Nah, I don't engage people with terrible attitudes, have a good one.

OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass gets a green tint when viewed THROUGH THE EDGE (not face on) due to Iron, not Sulfer. Just FYI

fyi that shot was not straight on... this is an old marine land tank that unless you look at it head on it gives a glare especially after I finish tuning all my substrate in my tank. this allows you to see the Sulphur in the glass because its reflecting of the sediment in the water. so yes it is the Sulphur you are seeing but you are to busy try to be smart than think about why you are seeing what you are seeing. and you have not still added anything to the conversation.

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a video of the tank to see what might be causing the stress of your fish?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fyi that shot was not straight on... this is an old marine land tank that unless you look at it head on it gives a glare especially after I finish tuning all my substrate in my tank. this allows you to see the Sulphur in the glass because its reflecting of the sediment in the water. so yes it is the Sulphur you are seeing but you are to busy try to be smart than think about why you are seeing what you are seeing. and you have not still added anything to the conversation.
You’re attitutide makes it hard for anyone to want to help you when you critique and tell everyone they are wrong.

And you are wrong. Theres no sulphur in glass. Sorry. I work with glass and make my own from raw ingredients.

OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the glass was just cleaned no film on it. you are making a judgement based on nothing... not even a set of facts. No need for carbon or any algae treatments but I am having a small I issue with dino's but a series of water changes has that under control. I was not asking for advice at all I was asking a question.

the opening statement is called a "preparatory statement" you use it to give context to the question that your are asking. I know I thought maybe I was talking we people about ideas about the hobby. just seeing what comes out of the question. I never seen anyone concerned about the fish when that think about the aqua scape everyone seems to focus on the coral.

its a question people... can we have a conversation without being a pain in the neck.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what most would consider a minimalist aquascape and my fish are always out. If your fish aren't out most of the time (depending on species), you likely have some agression issues that are keeping them from being out in the open.

50145938466_a1a87d1970_h.jpg

OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re attitutide makes it hard for anyone to want to help you when you critique and tell everyone they are wrong.

And you are wrong. Theres no sulphur in glass. Sorry. I work with glass and make my own from raw ingredients.

sorry it is Iron oxide not Sulphur...as I previously stated. with that said my attitude is good the statement that was made was not a serious attempt at dialogue. do not attempt to cover for someone who's comment is not intended to move the conversation.

but thanks for correcting my error

OP
OP
F

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is going to answer anything when they're told they're wrong and Know nothing.

BTW, whats up with the attitude your copping on everyone?
no just on someone trying to be a jerk... does not take much to know what the comment was meant to be. they attempted to be smart without the information required to make that statement. so I kindly corrected them in the same direct manner they choose to make the initial statement.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back