Minimalist Aqua scaping and fish Stress

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what @flabryth is proposing in the initial thread is a general discussion on the effect of aquascaping as it pertains to the amount of stress our fish might experience in our tanks. Using their tank as an example of a tank with plenty of hiding places. It really is a worthy topic.
There's just so many variables to consider when trying to calculate how much structure is enough.
Size, number and temperament of the fish are some considerations that come to mind.
Another thing to consider is that as our corals grow, the structure increases and therefore may provide more comfortable hiding places for additional fish in the future.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would be more concerned with water quality and quantity of fish playing a role in the fish behavior or increase of stress before I would be concerned with the aquascape causing any negative effects on them.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will if it is overstocked.
My 120 is minimalist with 11 fish.
All swim freely about with no agression.
The type of fish you have also determines if a minimalist scape will work.
Fish grow pretty fast.
In my 120:
Pajama cardinal
Clown
Algae blenny
Tomini tang
Convict tang
6 blue greem chromis
20200702_184556.jpg

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what most would consider a minimalist aquascape and my fish are always out. If your fish aren't out most of the time (depending on species), you likely have some agression issues that are keeping them from being out in the open.

50145938466_a1a87d1970_h.jpg
Now that’s the way to answer. Great pic. Nice reef. Nicely done!

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a RS 425xl (48x22x22) so 90 gallons or so. I have the old school wall of rock - lots of places for fish to hide out and be happy. They all get along - I had issues prior with 4 Bartlett’s Anthias that I had to remove and re-home as they were just nasty. It’s been 6 months since I added any new fish and I probably won’t add anymore. My current list of fish includes -

4 Lyertail Anthias 1m3f
6 Ignitus Anthias 1m5f
7 Green Chromis
1 Chevron Tang
1 Midas Blenny
1 Black Leopard Wrasse
1 Yellow Wrasse

D77BD4C3-DC53-4B89-A4AC-2DCC716B9205.jpeg

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are asking for a specific answer with a general question. You say you have 16 animals in the tank. What are these? How many of each. Does this include snails, shrimp etc, or only fish?

Most fish need a place to hide when they sleep. Some fish need a place to hide at all times. Some fish never sleep and swim day and night. If you are asking if your fish hide because of stress, I cannot answer without more information from you.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Though I didn’t answer the OP question with my post - I would say - in my experience you need more hiding places for more fish. They all need a place to relax at some point. I also think that many people do start with small minimalist rock scape as they expect large coral colonies to take over and create those hiding spaces. Though not all achieve that and still add in the fish that then can get stressed.

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that this thread has nothing to do with OPs tank, rather a general discussion on whether or not decreasing the amount of rock in a tank will increase stress via aggression or other means.

It’s an interesting thought. I am about to upgrade to a 60gallon shallow reef (36x24x16) and planned on having a single bommie in the middle. Only plan on sticking 6-8fish though. I hope as long as I make the bommie into a cave structure everyone should be fine.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all agree this is a general question, then the answer is you can have fish with no rocks at all if you pick the correct species. I do not believe one answer covers all situations. It would be better to ask "I have X size tank and want to add X and Y fish, will this work?" Ya'll party on with this thread, but I have nothing to add.

BG107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RS 425xl (48x22x22) so 90 gallons or so. I have the old school wall of rock - lots of places for fish to hide out and be happy. They all get along - I had issues prior with 4 Bartlett’s Anthias that I had to remove and re-home as they were just nasty. It’s been 6 months since I added any new fish and I probably won’t add anymore. My current list of fish includes -

4 Lyertail Anthias 1m3f
6 Ignitus Anthias 1m5f
7 Green Chromis
1 Chevron Tang
1 Midas Blenny
1 Black Leopard Wrasse
1 Yellow Wrasse

I love your midas blenny! I want to have one in my 25 lagoon. Will it fit?? Or is it a bad idea. Are they aggressive at all?

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4 Lyertail Anthias 1m3f
6 Ignitus Anthias 1m5f
7 Green Chromis
1 Chevron Tang
1 Midas Blenny
1 Black Leopard Wrasse
1 Yellow Wrasse

Awesome! Well done.

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a valid concern. I have a new build that rather minimal and a number of the first fish I put in have not made it despite it being stable enough to keep sps test corals alive at 3 months. I think they would like more caves instead of my center ridge and arches.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a valid concern. I have a new build that rather minimal and a number of the first fish I put in have not made it despite it being stable enough to keep sps test corals alive at 3 months. I think they would like more caves instead of my center ridge and arches.
Pics?

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no just on someone trying to be a jerk... does not take much to know what the comment was meant to be. they attempted to be smart without the information required to make that statement. so I kindly corrected them in the same direct manner they choose to make the initial statement.

You've replied to about five people with the same tone. Must be everyone else's attitude. Easy mistake to make on my part.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that this thread has nothing to do with OPs tank, rather a general discussion on whether or not decreasing the amount of rock in a tank will increase stress via aggression or other means.

It’s an interesting thought. I am about to upgrade to a 60gallon shallow reef (36x24x16) and planned on having a single bommie in the middle. Only plan on sticking 6-8fish though. I hope as long as I make the bommie into a cave structure everyone should be fine.
If you have 6 fish make sure you have 6 or 7 caves.

Jammie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really my dear sir... if you read I was not asking about my fish. my fish are happy and are not fighting at all. most of the fish are babies and all are destine for a tank upgrade (200 gallon) next year. I have a 150 I am setting up for a reef tank.

Jammie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 16 fish in a 150 gallon tank is just fine...as for the minimalist aquascape if you want it then you would definitely want to minimize the amount of fish as well. Only because the fish like to hide when they sleep. It's like there own bedroom area. Would you be comfortable exposed to a group of people while you sleep? I know I wouldn't.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the glass was just cleaned no film on it. you are making a judgement based on nothing... not even a set of facts. No need for carbon or any algae treatments but I am having a small I issue with dino's but a series of water changes has that under control. I was not asking for advice at all I was asking a question.

the opening statement is called a "preparatory statement" you use it to give context to the question that your are asking. I know I thought maybe I was talking we people about ideas about the hobby. just seeing what comes out of the question. I never seen anyone concerned about the fish when that think about the aqua scape everyone seems to focus on the coral.

its a question people... can we have a conversation without being a pain in the neck.
I am having a small I issue with dino's but a series of water changes has that under control.
A little off topic but I’d look more into dinos and water changes will most likely just make them worse.

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Still only 3 months in and migrated some tester corals over from my old tank. A few fish are doing well but I had a copperband I could never get eating (not unusual but I think the lack of hiding spots contributed to stress) and a small convict tang that I found stuck on an MP40 one morning after seemingly being very healthy.
The ridge and arch rock formation in the center is at least 4 inches from the front and back of the tank. The formation is great for detritus removal and will be good for raising flow for SPS but I don’t think most fish are gonna love it. I am banking on when mature SPS colonies fill in a lot of that space it’s going to create more natural hiding spots and overhangs.

6D879CD2-4230-49BE-A73F-1449B186C25E.jpeg

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my limited experience with a few setups, I would say aquascapes (rockwork + coral growth) contribute to fish behavior. Obviously it is not the only factor as others have noted, but I do think having a "safe place" for fish is important.

In a minimalist rockscape, you really have to rely on large coral growth to provide the hiding place / cover that fish need from time to time.

Back