That’ll work but be prepared that it could take over the tank eventually

Upvote 0

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically a nem could fit any size tank but it will like James M mentioned grow out the tank. It should be able to fit your size tank well. I would look into bubble tip anemones. They are colorful and easier to care for.

Nigel

Upvote 0

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you most likely want a bubble tip, those are what mostly everyone uses. Just be prepared anemones can grow huge and will eventually probably take over any small tanks if they don't split.

Upvote 0

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd the rock flower. They can be very cool..

1618706399009.png

Upvote 0

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rock flower anemones. They don’t get large like others but still get big and don’t host any fish
I want one that my 2 clowns will host. I saw a ritteri this week at my LFS. The clowns loved it. The clerk said they’re not hard to take care of.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one that my 2 clowns will host. I saw a ritteri this week at my LFS. The clowns loved it. The clerk said they’re not hard to take care of.
You stated that you have a fish only tank. Keep in mind that nems need strong lighting too.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IDK a quick google shows ritteri, Heteractis magnifica, are not a beginner anemone and can be finicky. Live Aquaria goes so far as to list them as expert only. I would caution listening to your LFS. You do not want a dying stinky or ticked off nem in your tank.

You want a bubble tip nem and powerful lighting. They are photosynthetic.

Upvote 0

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stated that you have a fish only tank. Keep in mind that nems need strong lighting too.
I’ll have quite a bit of research to do before I can get one. Hopefully the lights I currently have are sufficient but if not, I’ll upgrade.

Upvote 0

Storm Trooper Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riterri, aka magnificent. Like sand, get about a foot wide.
Clown/nem cross reference:

Upvote 0

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK a quick google shows ritteri, Heteractis magnifica, are not a beginner anemone and can be finicky. Live Aquaria goes so far as to list them as expert only. I would caution listening to your LFS.

You want a bubble tip nem and powerful lighting. They are photosynthetic.
Not sure why the guy at the shop would say they’re easy to care for. Guess he’s only interested in the sale.

Upvote 0

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights do you got, we'll let you know if they're gonna work for a nem. Like I have said before go for the bubbletips those are your best options.

Upvote 0

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I keep 2 anemones in a 10 gallon and they do fine. I know eventually they’ll outgrow the tank but I plan to enjoy them for however long I can.

Upvote 0

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the guy at the shop would say they’re easy to care for. Guess he’s only interested in the sale.

I work in an aquarium shop that specializes in saltwater so I think I have an explanation. A lot of the time, the larger the anemone, the easier it is to feed them. This is for 2 reasons. 1) Bigger mouth = easier to effectively spot feed and 2) Bigger diameter and more tentacles to catch food.

If you have a large tank or can’t easily access the anemone to feed it, having one that’s larger means it’ll be more self-sufficient.

Upvote 0

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in an aquarium shop that specializes in saltwater so I think I have an explanation. A lot of the time, the larger the anemone, the easier it is to feed them. This is for 2 reasons. 1) Bigger mouth = easier to effectively spot feed and 2) Bigger diameter and more tentacles to catch food.

If you have a large tank or can’t easily access the anemone to feed it, having one that’s larger means it’ll be more self-sufficient.
Thx for the explanation! I have a 32 gallon. What are your thoughts on keeping a ritteri in that size?

Upvote 0

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the explanation! I have a 32 gallon. What are your thoughts on keeping a ritteri in that size?
If you go with a smaller one (like 3-5 inches open), you could comfortably keep it in a 32 gallon for sometime. Plus, that size isn’t too small so spot feeding would be less challenging then a 2 inch anemone.

However, if you go with a big one right off the bat, (at my shop the average size is like 10in+ open) you could keep it in a 32. But, I wouldn’t recommend it at all. It’ll take up too much room and (anemone gods forbid) if it dies, it’ll be a huge mess to clean. Plus, it’ll seriously throw off your ammonia and Nitrates. Also, get a white micro net if you don’t have one already. If it does die, using a regular net won’t work. In fact, it’ll shred right through a standard net and create a bigger mess. Better to have one just in case.

I have a 2.5 inch dusty purple beaded anemone and a 3.5 inch purple tip seabee anemone in my 10 gallon. They’ve been doing awesome. Since they’re smaller, they’ll grow into the size of the tank more smoothly too. Meaning they’ll keep growing but a little slower and will be less likely to completely overtake the tank.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back