minor problems w/ sunpod

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 70w sunpod bulb seems to go out every few hours, only for 3 mins max, then it comes back up. should i be concerned about replacing it soon? current usa suggested cleaning it, or getting a replacement bulb...but if i'm spending $ on new bulbs, i might as well upgrade.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean my photoperiods might be too long?
because it happens throughout the days, regardless of how long it's been on for...and the fan seems to be funtioning well.

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a thermo protector built in? the MFG should be able to tell you that...... It sounds like it does and at least it is resetable...

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry vetteman, you gotta be more heavy with descriptions when you say thermo protector...and MFG...and resetting. still a newbie with hardware. :)

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry... it should have a "thermo protection" device that will open when it reaches a certain temp... some will just open like when a fuse blows.... others will reset once they cool down... MFG=manufacturer should be able to tell you if it has that device which I think it does by what is going on... If there is not enough flow from the fan it could cause it to over heat... if the bulb is going bad or has corrosion on the contacts where it plugs in it could raise the resistance to the ballast and cause it to overload which would make it overheat .......

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the clarification vetteman, any suggestions on how to fix it?

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just checked there site and it has an electronic ballast.... I would clean the unit out making sure that there is not a lot of dust inside... could be the fan slowing down or just the bulb is going bad and even the ballast is going bad.. in this case it is an electronic board and solder connections can go bad from heating up and cooling down.....

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sigh... 8 months old and already giving me so much trouble. forget it. i'll tolerate it till it hits the one year mark and upgrade to a 150w... thanks for the help vettemen. it shouldn't be too much of a deal to the corals? since it only goes out for 1 ~ 3 mins every few hours.

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would make sure it's clean inside..... Remove the lamp... do not touch it with your bare fingers and if you do clean it with alcohol... make sure there's no corrosion on the contacts.... maybe just removing the bulb and putting it back in will resolve the problem.... your not out anything but a little time....

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just gave it a try. we'll see if it worked.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem with 70w halides, is that most of the ones that are sold aren't really a "name brand", like the 150w and 250w versions.

shoot, most of the time they are pieced together from whole sale parts in a garage, and sold by someone who does it as a part time thing. (i'm including all of the coralife crap in this description also...lol)

same goes with the 70w bulbs, none of them are made the top bulb making companies. thus your product quality for just about all 70w systems is not near as good as the 150w and 250w counterparts.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that seems to make sense considering these malfunctioning issues. it came with the AP but if i now regret not waiting for a 150w package deal. i've been eyeying that 150w + actinic set up on nano tuners...so that's something to look forward to. gotta save some cash first...=]

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah...it is, but current usa is asking me to get a replacement through the LFS i bought it from. and the manager of that LFS and i are not on good terms...long story.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe seems to be doing that alot lately :rolleyes: last time i heard the store's going out of business...maybe i should get my replacement before its too late.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with current and my LFS with a pc 3 months old. the LFS did not want to send it back. but they finally did after me raising a lotta cain.
vblade.gif

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back