Miracle mud question

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the proper area for this question but thought it might be as it pertains to the fuge and growing algae. I just purchased some miracle mud for my fuge. I did notice that it contains aluminum. I know that “tin” can be disastrous for reef tanks. Should I be concerned and return it? What is the reason for aluminum in the miracle mud? Anyone have good or bad experiences using miracle mud?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum is always present in trace levels in saltwater and they claim that it and many other trace elements are included as this is likely just the result of how they harvest/prepare the product. I have used it in the past without issue, and I have never heard of issues with contamination.

Rosh225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the proper area for this question but thought it might be as it pertains to the fuge and growing algae. I just purchased some miracle mud for my fuge. I did notice that it contains aluminum. I know that “tin” can be disastrous for reef tanks. Should I be concerned and return it? What is the reason for aluminum in the miracle mud? Anyone have good or bad experiences using miracle mud?
I have used Miracle Mud for a few years and loved the results. In my opinion it really helps grow other macro algae other than Chaetomorpha. I link a mixture of macros in my refugium. Most macro need the metals in trace elements to grow.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Miracle Mud for a few years and loved the results. In my opinion it really helps grow other macro algae other than Chaetomorpha. I link a mixture of macros in my refugium. Most macro need the metals in trace elements to grow.
Thanks what other algae types are you growing? I currently only have chaeto. What else do you recommend?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks what other algae types are you growing? I currently only have chaeto. What else do you recommend?

Many types of macro.
If nutrient export is your only goal, then Chaero is a good choice. If nutrient recycling is also desired, then Red Ogo is an option that requires more intense light than most.

Marine Plants in The Aquarium" is an online resource for the identification and care of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in the saltwater aquarium. The guide features over 70 of the most commonly available species of marine plants with full color photographs, detailed descriptions and aquarium care. Many of the species included in the guide are available to purchase online from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Click on each link below to begin the exploration.​
Table of Contents
Copyright © 2011 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.

Rosh225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is grape Caulerpa, but I like ulva, pom pom algae, and halymenia maculuta. Algae Barn and Indo-Pacific Reef Farms have nice macro algae and good funa for refugiums.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back