Miracles Do Happen! Bill's (Sawcjack00/Epic Aquaculture) 460 Gallon Custom Miracles Aquarium Build!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry Bill.

I dose LC on a roughly monthly basis, and I have recommended its use here repeatedly. Which now worries me.

As painful as it will be, I hope you are able to help us understand fully what transpired. I will go back for the video; perhaps you already covered it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry Bill.

I dose LC on a roughly monthly basis, and I have recommended its use here repeatedly. Which now worries me.

As painful as it will be, I hope you are able to help us understand fully what transpired. I will go back for the video; perhaps you already covered it.
I have been dosing this to the overflow which passes through 100 micron socks, then skimmer,

I just ordered 5 micron socks before I do this again. The 100s clog pretty quick, so guessing I will need to be on guard with these. Without tangs, my tank goes to s*** pretty quick so I wanna make the effort. Again, sorry Bill.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the kind words. It's been tough, and the corals did suffer some color loss and browning out, but seem to be rebounding quickly. I will slowly replace fish over the next year or so, but those that survived are doing well. I will also post a thread about exactly what happened, but I'm not ready to do that yet. That being said here's some chalices for your entertainment...

JF Outer Orbit-.jpg

JKR Rainbow Cosmos-.jpg

Pink *******-.jpg

Purple Erkle-.jpg

Raja Rampage-.jpg

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing this to the overflow which passes through 100 micron socks, then skimmer,

I just ordered 5 micron socks before I do this again. The 100s clog pretty quick, so guessing I will need to be on guard with these. Without tangs, my tank goes to s*** pretty quick so I wanna make the effort. Again, sorry Bill.
Hey Scott do you use Sea Klear for pools, or one of the aquarium products with LC?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott do you use Sea Klear for pools, or one of the aquarium products with LC?
Tropic Marin Elimi-Phos. I've not done any math but assume it is rather diluted relative to the pool products. The dosing instructions give me some comfort, and my experience gives me the rest. I get a fairly consistent result each time according to Hanna. I have had ich in the past and have NOT gone fallow, so I do worry about my tang/foxface population when doing this. There are enough anecdotes out there. Unlike with carbon, I don't drink and dose at the same time. :)

Every two-three weeks, I dose 10ml to drop my PO4 by about .05 in a 140G display, and about 17ml in my 280G frag to do roughly the same. I mix it with some RODI & slowly, manually, dose it to the top of my overflow over an hour or so. Replace socks some time afterward.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Elimi-Phos. I've not done any math but assume it is rather diluted relative to the pool products. The dosing instructions give me some comfort, and my experience gives me the rest. I get a fairly consistent result each time according to Hanna. I have had ich in the past and have NOT gone fallow, so I do worry about my tang/foxface population when doing this. There are enough anecdotes out there. Unlike with carbon, I don't drink and dose at the same time. :)

Every two-three weeks, I dose 10ml to drop my PO4 by about .05 in a 140G display, and about 17ml in my 280G frag to do roughly the same. I mix it with some RODI & slowly, manually, dose it to the top of my overflow over an hour or so. Replace socks some time afterward.
I use the same elimi-phos for years with no issues. I’ve even added the dose directly to the display display. I now dose the overflow or crash box. I have a gem, yt, scopas, white tail and hippo.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on the DT. Things are definitely rebounding. Still a long way to go, but here are some cell phone pics I took under blues of several Monti's that were pretty much brown a week ago.

JF Beach Bum Monti-.jpg
Leng Sy Cap-.jpg
WWC Grafted Cap-.jpg
WWC Sunfire Cap-.jpg

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Holy Grail Micromussa's did not suffer any setbacks. Here's one of our colonies looking fat and sassy under daylight and blue setting!

F2M Holy Grail Micromussa 2-.jpg
F2M Holy Grail Micromussa-.jpg

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so happy for you that your tank is coming back. It is looking good I bet it is even better in person. I almost saw it a little over a year ago when Ken called you while I was at his house. I have his purple tang and he is still happy in the 300 I built.
Sal

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing improvement in the sticks daily!

FTS End Shot-.jpg
I learned about the fish problem in your interview (sorry about that), but missed the source of the SPS troubles. Are they related? Was there a phosphate deficit or spike?

Whatever it was, I am glad you are back on the path.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned about the fish problem in your interview (sorry about that), but missed the source of the SPS troubles. Are they related? Was there a phosphate deficit or spike?

Whatever it was, I am glad you are back on the path.
Yes they were most definitely related. I'm not exactly sure what caused the SPS to brown out, but within 4 days of the LC incident they all started browning out. I suspect there may have been some smaller fish that died and ended up in the rockwork where I didn't find them, causing. I lost a few colonies, all of which I have backups for. They are showing daily improvement now although it will still be a while until they are fully colored up again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back