Miracles Do Happen! Bill's (Sawcjack00/Epic Aquaculture) 460 Gallon Custom Miracles Aquarium Build!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so impressed at the progress. I can’t imagine tearing the roof off the house to lower a whale shark into that tank. Those duel boom cranes must have cost a fortune to lower that big fish in.

Also, how did you get the Australian government to give you a quarter of the grear barrier reef? I thought it was protected. You must have friends in high places.

;Clown
No but I'm pretty sure I have high friends in places :). I'll update soon, just waiting on Jimmy to finish some acrylic stuff for me. It's his fault...

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimmy is correct these are not the super cheapo ones from HF. In addition, we were able to roll the tank into the house on furniture dolly's, so the only actual lift was from the dolly's to the stand.
I didn't know you were doing this. I would have brought my lift. I have used it to lift a 600 gallon tank before.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know you were doing this. I would have brought my lift. I have used it to lift a 600 gallon tank before.
I'll call you when I upgrade!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be a big wrasse fan looking at your long list of fish!! Have you experienced any issues between them? I have a yellow coris and would like to add another one to my tank.
thanks
Jeff
Yes wrasses are my favorite. This thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/ has great info on mixing some wrasses, and Hunter Hammond (Evolved) is a great resource for questions. I always use an acclimation box when adding a new wrasse, and this seems to help with any aggression.

Last edited:

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes wrasses are my favorite. This thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/ has great info on mixing some wrasses, and Hunter Hammond (Evolved) is a great resource for questions. I always use an acclimation box when adding a new wrasse, and this seems to help with any aggression.

I too am a huge fan of wrasses. There's nothing like a tank well stocked with cool fairy's. I loved your tank, when we were over, back when life was safe....er. Love the list you're putting together. I have a few and am looking forward to adding a few more on your list. Can't wait to see this thing grow in and thrive.

Keep the updates coming. Thanks Bill!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank coming along? Fish in?
Yes I have about 40 fish in it now with another 20 or so to move from the old tank. I'll post a major update with pics soon.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm due for a big update, and it is coming. In the meantime, I finished the last piece for the aquascape today. should be moving it in tomorrow...

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've followed my RS Reefer 750 XXL build thread here - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sawcjacks-red-sea-reefer-750-xxl-build.369431/ - then you know that I have been planning this build for a while, and you may have also guessed that I'm pretty much out of room in the Red Sea tank. After a false start with ordering through a company that went out of business right after I paid (Crystal Reef Aquatics - fortunately I was able to get my money back), I decided to go with Miracles Aquariums in Toronto Canada as the builder. Derek at Miracles was a pleasure to work with. Miracles built the tank and stand for me, and Bashsea built the custom sump for me. The tank is 84"L x 42"w x 30"h which is 460 gallons. It is made out of 3/4" Starfire glass with armored seams, and armored bottom, and Eurobracing. It has an external overflow on one of the short sides as it is set up as a peninsula. Even the over flow box has armored seems! it weighs 830 lbs empty. So without further ado, I give you the current FTS which I will try to update regularly.

Here's the equipment I'll be using on this build:

Tank - Miracles Aquarium custom built 460 gallon peninsula with starfire glass on 3 visible sides.

Stand - Welded steel with rubberized coating built by Miracles Aquariums

Sump - custom built Bashsea SS-60 modified to be 24" wide in order to accommodate my skimmer.

Controller - Neptune Apex connected to Alkatronic for Alk control

Lighting - 8 Radion XR30 G4 Pros + 4 Radion XR15 G4 Pros in 4 Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixtures mounted in an 80/20 aluminum frame which will be suspended above the tank on an automated bicycle lift that I can raise and lower using my phone.

Return Pumps - Abyzz A200 and Abyzz A100 attached to 1" Sea Swirls. The A100 feeds my Aqua UV 114 W UV Sterilizer

Skimmer - Bubble King Super Marin 300

Flow - 4 Ecotech MP60's and potentially 2 Maxspect Gyre 350's. Returns are through 1" Sea Swirls

Filtration - 3 - 7" filter cups with Pond Matrix in them and filter floss on top. Clear Water Scrubbers CW300 Algae Turf Scrubber. 2 Aquamax reactors to be used for Carbon and GFO on occasion if needed. Actual ocean liverock in the sump. 60 Lbs of Miracle Mud in the sump.

Substrate - 2" of Caribsea Special Grade reef sand seeded with products from Indo Pacific Sea Farms.

ATO - 73 gallon Advanced Acrylics reservoir with Spectrapure Auto Topoff System

AWC - Neptune Dos

Screen Lids made by DD - thanks for the idea @robert s b.
Fun, I'm setting up a miracles 180 with a custom Bashsea sump.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the help of my buddy Eddie (@Xanthurum ) We got the new piece into the tank yesterday. Now that the sand storm has settled, here's a video of the aquascape. Please ignore the cables, etc. They won't be "managed" until the old DT is out of the space and I have all of the equipment on this tank. The video starts at the "back side" of the tank and comes around to the "front side"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of wrasse is the red and white one with a yellow tail? Really pretty fish.
Jeff
That is a Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus cyanogularis . He's a real character...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back