Miracles Do Happen! Bill's (Sawcjack00/Epic Aquaculture) 460 Gallon Custom Miracles Aquarium Build!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks fantastic Bill! Who's in charge in the tank? Looks like the maybe the Lineatus?

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fantastic Bill! Who's in charge in the tank? Looks like the maybe the Lineatus?
It's definitely the Sohal Tang. Overall he's good, but there's no doubt he's the boss.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the lack of updates, but it is for your own good. This is a real world exercise in learning patience which is the key to reef keeping :) The tank has now been running for 7 months and I still haven't moved most of my corals and some of my fish into it LOL.

So continuing with our story. You can see my lighting rig in the pic below
Last Piece.jpg

I used 80/20 T-slot aluminum to create the frame. There are 4 36" Aquatic Life Hybrid fixtures each of which hold 4 ATI Blue+ T-5 bulbs, 2 Radion XR30 G4 Pros with diffusers, and 1 Radion XR15 G4 Pro with diffuser (the last 2 XR15's haven't been installed yet as they are still on my Red Sea tank). The light rack is on an automatic Kayak lift so I can raise and lower it using my phone. This pic also shows the final piece of the aquascape ready to go in.

Since my last update, a friend, Ken ( @AZMSGT ) had issues with his Red Sea tank, and is getting it replaced under warranty, so I am holding all of his corals in this tank, so I haven't moved much over from the Red Sea. I have moved my Dragon Soul Torch, and about 6 SPS colonies, and everything is doing great. Once Ken has his new setup done and it is ready for the corals to come home I will be able to complete the transition, but this will be a few months I'm sure.

I have now moved my Gyre 350's from the Red Sea to this tank, and am getting great flow everywhere in the tank. I do plan to add 2 more MP60's in the future though. I've also installed my Bubble King Super Marin 300 Skimmer with the Aquadriver Helix Skimclean automatic neck cleaner, and it is working great. Need to add a skimmate locker for it still. One other thing that I am trying on this system is micro bubble scrubbing. I run an airstone in the sump from midnite until 7am. I don't have my controller on this tank yet, but theoretically it should help with nighttime PH, and has definitely helped reduce detritous in the tank as my filter socks are filling up faster than before.

Here's a terrible cell phone video for you to watch. Most of the corals and some of the live rock are from @AZMSGT tank, so it will look much different once he has them back. You may also notice in the video that there is a bit of cable management left to do. No point in doing it until I get the Red Sea out of there and everything is in it's final position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update. Love that lighting array. The spread and coverage must be amazing with little to no shadows.
Yes that was the idea. I should have very little shadowing as my colonies grow larger!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. I just love the huge acro colonies.
I can't wait to get everything over there, but I have to admit my patience has been paying off. Knock on wood, but the colonies I've moved over are all doing very well!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legit colonies for sure. Very nice. Note to self don't ever let the wife look at your threads. Pinot Noir? She would have to have it lol. Cant wait to get her DT built. I just cant get my PAR high enough in my shallow mushroom tables to even attempt sticks yet.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous. stunning really.

Finally, we see pictures of real acro colonies, not these little nubs that people call colonies.
What are you talking about? In todays standards, you cant call that a colony, I think someone will coin the phrase "coral civilization" which is made up of hundreds of colonies...

That there is a civilization of Vivids Confetti!

There, I have now coined the phrase. Trademarked! Pay me royalties!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first frag to go in was this one. I've always said I'll never have an SPS tank without Bali Green Slimer. This tank is no exception. I had to add some plumbers putty to the base as it had loosened up the other day...

Green Slimer.jpg

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second and third corals to go in were my CR Electric Myagi Tort, and ARC Blazing Wildfire. They were on the same rock so I just moved it over.

ARC Blazing Wildfire and CR Electric Myagi Tort.jpg

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! I just ordered the baby version of yours, nearly identical, but only a tiny 300g. I was looking for photos of notched overflows to make sure the builder knows exactly what I want and I found it on the first page of your thread here. what are the dims of the notch 1"x24" ?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back