Misidentified Moray Eel in LFS, taking a guess at White Eye / Grey Face Moray?

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am very new to Eels (this is my first one), it was a "responsible impulse" buy haha for my marine molly aquarium.

So in the store the Eel was about 30 USD, and marked as a "Snowflake Moray". It didnt really look like this to me, but my google searches it looks like a grey face / white eye moray?
Very chilled out, I could hand feed almost immediately after adding him/her. I thought it would show more interest in the mollies, but even when they rest in one of his/her coves he/she just ignores them and pushes them out the way.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, they are very cool eel. The big difference is they are a fang tooth, so some care has to taken. Just because they didn't take the live mollies diesn't mean they wouldn't eat some live fish down the road as they mature. They are likely the mildest fang tooth you can get. Depending on tank size you can find fish that will be suitable to be safely kept with this eel.

As fun as may be, be very careful hand feeding, a bite from a fang tooth eel can be very nasty, as well as painful.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, they are very cool eel. The big difference is they are a fang tooth, so some care has to taken. Just because they didn't take the live mollies diesn't mean they wouldn't eat some live fish down the road as they mature. They are likely the mildest fang tooth you can get. Depending on tank size you can find fish that will be suitable to be safely kept with this eel.

As fun as may be, be very careful hand feeding, a bite from a fang tooth eel can be very nasty, as well as painful.
Thanks Lion King. My fingers obviously had some shrimp smell on them when I was feeding this weekend and he bit me, he is still young and teeth are small so it wasnt painful, but for such tiny jaws you can really feel the power behind them. When he gets bigger I may not be hand feeding anymore haha.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jeweled was best friends with some damsels for a few months then ate them all.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back