Mission Impossible: Reefer 250, 3 reactors, refugium, skimmer, lights, action! Pic heavy.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, guys, the Varios 6 humming is louder than our refrigerator that is 5 feet wide. I have traded emails with Carlos of CoralVue, he is responsive, but didn’t move the needle at all. Has not called me and immediately jumped to blaming manifold and reduction to 3/4” hard piping as contributors to back pressure. Not happy with their quick to blame approach (keep in mind, I told them that I have run the pump at all speeds from 10% to 100% in 10% increments, same noise level). They still think its the manifold/back pressure.

However, different story with the guys at @Bulk Reef Supply. Talked to them and ordered another Varios 6. Will be an easy swap, hope its the pump defect, at least I will be able to tell. However, if I continue to have the same problem, BRS offered to work with me on returning both pumps, buying Varios 4 and doing a store credit etc. Bought most of my stuff from BRS so far and they have just shown why I should continue to do so. First reach out to them with a dilemma and they were super helpful. Hoping to swap the pump on Sat and fingers crossed that the new one is quiet. I can then send the defective one to Carlos with a nice “its not the manifold” note.

On a separate subject, great feedback from Ecotech customer service on noisy MP40. They said if it doesn't break in in 2 weeks, they will send a replacement wet side.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS and EcoTech have such great customer service. I have never had a poor experience with either. I’m glad they both were able to offer you some help!

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS and EcoTech have such great customer service. I have never had a poor experience with either. I’m glad they both were able to offer you some help!

On a positive note, I am so happy with the ball valve drain. I have tuned that the overflow is dead silent. Only fluctuates a little when Nyos is on for 6 hrs. Its amazing how much of an impact 1/16 of an inch adjustment in ball valve has on the drain overflow level and noise. Plus, need to wait for good 10 min to see the impact. Happy happy happy, especially given how many complains I have read on Red Sea native drain valve.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more update that I forgot to mention, - using Tropic Eden sand in two sizes, used apprx 50lb of reefflakes (3mm) and 20lb of miniflakes (20lb). Really like their sand. The miniflakes bag was wet and said “do not rinse”, so assume it will help with cycling and getting good culture going.

gmeister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allright, guys. Done, leak tested (since 9 am), so far so good. Mixed salt. Took a little bit messing with drain valves to fine tune it. Dead silent now. However, Varios 6 is audible, not sure if its supposed to be super silent. MP40 is doing better now, not as noisy. I do have one item that I couldn’t tackle, Nyos 120. It came with no instructions and youtube is either silent on it or something in German. There are two dials, pictured, - what shoild I do? Open it all the way, etc? I played with it, its either pushing lots of bubbles into the skimmer cup or its pushing TONS of microbubbles into the sump area from below. Confused. Do they have a break in period? In the meantime, enjoy the pics of my labor for the past 4 weekends, finally. PS cycling with Seachem Stability.

5B58760E-0C6C-46BB-B57B-689A885D4518.jpeg
5F27709F-4479-45E2-9A5F-D3BEC52AC28C.jpeg
1D3D11EA-6A23-4487-B677-E0152807992D.jpeg
D468556A-7545-4307-8FCB-82389FAD0C42.jpeg
B92CD39E-B49B-4740-AEA9-079BF35B8D2E.jpeg
Nice build. For the nyos, i opened mine all the way and after a week, i had a piece of plastic about an inch tall and used that to raise the skimmer. After 3 days it slowly settled and during this three days i slowly closed the lines until i reached level i aimed for. Took off the piece i used to raise my 120 then it was good to go. Then some fine tuning will be needed. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. For the nyos, i opened mine all the way and after a week, i had a piece of plastic about an inch tall and used that to raise the skimmer. After 3 days it slowly settled and during this three days i slowly closed the lines until i reached level i aimed for. Took off the piece i used to raise my 120 then it was good to go. Then some fine tuning will be needed. Hope that helps.

Thanks, very helpful. When you say “rine tuning”, what level do you aim for the bubbles to come up to? All the way touching the top or few inches below?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a really impressive build and you're quite talented. It's nice to see someone with that OCD touch (I mean that has the highest compliment) when it comes to the under the tank stuff. I like to look under my tank (and others) as much as I do at the display tank. I wonder though how much head pressure you're going to be creating with the manifold. In my experience the Octo 6 wasn't enough for my 90 gallon and I've got a one inch run going four feet up and one foot over with six 90 degree elbows. All those bends and gate valves, while beautifully and artistically done, I can't imagine being practical in use.

When I did run reactors I daisy chained them together; the output of one direct into the input of another. I placed a valve after the last reactor to control flow. I'd run them in order of highest capacity for flow to lowest and that worked well for me. It took up less space, used less pipe and in my case I was able to run all the reactors off one small AC pump. This setup used far less wattage than trying to get the same flow off a "T" from my return pump. I'm curious if that will be the case for you, perhaps not but it may be worth planning in case it is an issue. Again really well thought out and gorgeous build. I'm excited to see how it progresses.

Some good notes here, although I would not run the reactors in series. By doing this, you would eliminate the ability to control the likely necessary different flow rate requirements of different media, as any flow rate or change in flow rate in one reactor would apply to all of them. What if you want (or require) a different flow rate through a bio-pellet reactor than a GAC reactor?. It is arguably more efficient, but prevents the ability to fine tune media individually.

Now the head loss due to unnecessary plumbing is a different story. [emoji6] Although, if you're anything like me, a couple cents added to my electric bill, or having to run a size up on the return pump is totally worth the aesthetic effect of a handsome plumbing job. Things have to look good under the hood as well!

Either way, keep up the good work. Things are looking sharp!

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you use to redo the fittings on the bottom of the standard drains and returns from the original reefer pipes. I am working it out atm but it being all metric is a serious pain to convert to standard.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you use to redo the fittings on the bottom of the standard drains and returns from the original reefer pipes. I am working it out atm but it being all metric is a serious pain to convert to standard.

You will then need this 3/4 schedule 80 male pipe adaptor. BRS has them, here is the link. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/schedule-80-male-pipe-adapter-1-3a6c2c9231df58107434b942fa600b22.html

Then, use some good amount of teflon tape (i recommend pink tape specifically for water applications - see the info earlier in the thread). Trial and error, wrap teflon, tighten, add more if needed. Dont do too much as you might crack the red sea plastic piece). This is what the final piece should look like (teflon tape not showing).

B5528B18-E136-4F97-953F-DB1071969D3B.jpeg

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful looking tank and great job on the plumbing. Subscribed so I can reference when I plumb the tank I'm planning.

How's the cycling coming along?

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will then need this 3/4 schedule 80 male pipe adaptor. BRS has them, here is the link. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/schedule-80-male-pipe-adapter-1-3a6c2c9231df58107434b942fa600b22.html

Then, use some good amount of teflon tape (i recommend pink tape specifically for water applications - see the info earlier in the thread). Trial and error, wrap teflon, tighten, add more if needed. Dont do too much as you might crack the red sea plastic piece). This is what the final piece should look like (teflon tape not showing).

B5528B18-E136-4F97-953F-DB1071969D3B.jpeg
Does this 3/4" fittings come with those O rings?

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looks like the fittings for the red sea reefer 450 that I have are larger. They dont say what size the screw fitting is. I wonder if they are 1"

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this 3/4" fittings come with those O rings?

The Red Sea part comes with that oring. Btw, see my posts earlier in this thread, I also recommend using oring lubricators on all orings, including the ones inside ball valves, etc. can never go wrong with that. I use Molykote 111 from Dow (many online retailers have it).

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looks like the fittings for the red sea reefer 450 that I have are larger. They dont say what size the screw fitting is. I wonder if they are 1"

I didnt realize yours is 450. BRS has these couplings in various sizes. Get the right Red Sea part first (same part as above, different size then) and select the coupling closest in size.

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt realize yours is 450. BRS has these couplings in various sizes. Get the right Red Sea part first (same part as above, different size then) and select the coupling closest in size.
Thanks for all the help! I got all the parts ordered. Will be plumbing my set up soon!

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, as my main tank is cycling, I got a 10g quarantine tank going. Here is the pic, got a frag rack made from left over pvc and eggcrate. Btw, I have heard mixed feedback on whether to keep rock in QT or not. Let me know what you guys think.

99EDAD2A-1B79-4D40-9603-70CCC6A66702.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back