mistake or not?

Frenchfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, question...? In my new 15g that i started 2 weeks ago I added the salt and and live sand which... I give a good wash over the sink. Yes I DID IT!!!. Last week I added wet and dry live rock. The test are good no change... which makes sense. In the picture there is a rock missing for a total of 14 lbs.

Now my question. Should I add live bacteria or the wet/dry rocks will produce bacteria? Or, should i buy a new bag or live wet sand?

Thanks everyone for your help :)

178071858_310218813813343_2750397860427656955_n.jpg

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria will naturally find their way into your aquarium; however, I probably would buy some bottled bacteria to help insure a quicker cycle.

Be safe just buy a bottle of bacteria, it will not be that expensive and worth the insurance.

Good luck.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frenchfrog

I'm trying to decide if your name is racist and if I should be triggered? :) The only thing that would make your start up more likely to succeed is to start a build thread over in Members Tanks so we can watch and cheer you on!

I vaguely remember having a 15 gallon tank (fresh water) many years ago and thanks for that memory. It was a fun tank, but it was a long time ago.
Forget Season 1 GIF by Law & Order

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added established live rock then you have the bacteria you need.

OP
OP
F

Frenchfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frenchfrog

I'm trying to decide if your name is racist and if I should be triggered? :) The only thing that would make your start up more likely to succeed is to start a build thread over in Members Tanks so we can watch and cheer you on!

I vaguely remember having a 15 gallon tank (fresh water) many years ago and thanks for that memory. It was a fun tank, but it was a long time ago.
Forget Season 1 GIF by Law & Order
My first fresh water tank was 15g, later I had more, and I was about 10 years old. So yup 41 years ago. Good memories :)

I do have a good sense of humour so as a French, hey oui je suis un français Canadien, je suis du Québec, guy working with funny English guys I was often caller Frenchfrog and I like it lol.

About my 15g reef, it is my first come back. Cause I expect to have another one but way bigger.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to know for sure is to test the tank.

If you have all 0(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), then your tank isn't cycled and never started.

Bacteria will show up on their own, but without a food source(ammonia) they will not show up. Of course you can add bottled bacteria to speed up the process, but this hobby is a lesson in patience, and waiting for the cycle is just the first lesson.

OP
OP
F

Frenchfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to know for sure is to test the tank.

If you have all 0(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), then your tank isn't cycled and never started.

Bacteria will show up on their own, but without a food source(ammonia) they will not show up. Of course you can add bottled bacteria to speed up the process, but this hobby is a lesson in patience, and waiting for the cycle is just the first lesson.
As I have said to my kids patience is your way to go.

This weekend I will add bottled bacteria not to rush it but to start it then have beer or wine ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back